Wheel Studs/Lug Nuts

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have some ARP 3.5" Studs out back, and am currently overlapping lug nuts on them...

photo6.jpg

Here are the studs I have...

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?keyword=arp 100-7703&dds=1

I'm needing to pick up some new lugs for the front and rear. I'm looking at these from Summit, and am curious if these would work with my 3.5" studs out back...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7540124/

Also, is the front 1/2-20 as well?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What lug nut does the wheel use? I have a strong feeling your wheels use an acorn seat.

The shank style you have referenced go through the wheel, not on top of the wheel like the acorn seat. The acorn seat has what looks to be a 45 degree angle cut (or 60 degree) in each lug hole.

I just removed the tops off of my lug nuts, so the wheel stud could go through it. Not pretty, but in my opinion, much better then stacking lug nuts on top of each other.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What lug nut does the wheel use? I have a strong feeling your wheels use an acorn seat.

The shank style you have referenced go through the wheel, not on top of the wheel like the acorn seat. The acorn seat has what looks to be a 45 degree angle cut (or 60 degree) in each lug hole.

I just removed the tops off of my lug nuts, so the wheel stud could go through it. Not pretty, but in my opinion, much better then stacking lug nuts on top of each other.

I have two lugs on each stud right now in the rear. The back lugs are my stockers that I just pushed the stud through on the top part, then I got some closed end lugs and stacked them on top of the open lugs. I'm just trying to find a long enough set of lugs that will cover the entire 3.5" stud. I can't find anything, and am tired of it looking like complete shit.

If worse comes to worse, I'll just get some nicer chrome open and closed lugs and keep on stacking them I guess....

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is what it use to look like....

DSC00208.jpg

I'm kind of thinking of just ditching these studs, actually. I only had them because of my Weld XP's I use to have.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That may be a better solution if you don't need to run them. I think Don W used a very tall acorn seat lug nut, but if I recall correctly, Don has 3" studs, not 3.5".

Kind of like this as an example, but its the wrong size (14mm) but you get the idea.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-701148/

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That may be a better solution if you don't need to run them. I think Don W used a very tall acorn seat lug nut, but if I recall correctly, Don has 3" studs, not 3.5".

Kind of like this as an example, but its the wrong size (14mm) but you get the idea.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ARE-701148/

Okay, here's what I'm thinking...

Front: 1/2-20, 60 Degree Angle Conical

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-754006/

Back: Front Lugs (Cutting the tops off, if they come off like stockers), and then overlapping them with the bottom link.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-754006/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-7540162/

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Have you measured how much stud is past the wheel? The second link shows those lug nuts to be 1.9" long, is that long enough?

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
Did those studs press right into the holes or did you have to drill the holes out? For $12 a pack and if they go right in without drilling that's alot better than the $70 pack. I need some when ever I go to run skinnies and wides.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Did those studs press right into the holes or did you have to drill the holes out? For $12 a pack and if they go right in without drilling that's alot better than the $70 pack. I need some when ever I go to run skinnies and wides.

Yes, they press right in. All you need to do is grind off a small portion of the head of the lug, identical to hoe the stock studs are. From there, is is pretty easy. Just do a search, or PM me if you decide to do it and I'd be more than happy to help you out. Also, I still have my stock studs in, so I'm not sure about skinnies up front.

Kipp07GT

Slug Box
Reaction score
I'll def pm you when I go to do this. Have you tried any studs on the front yet? $12 a pack is alot better than spending $70 a pack, I'll probably run open lugs for the drag wheels and find some for my 18 inch bullitts.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I don't recommend stacking lug nuts on the wheel studs - really no need. If you're tracking your car - great reason to upgrade to ARP 3" wheel studs - you definitely want to use open ended lug nuts and torque them to spec. (100 ft/lbs). I recommend using the Gorilla 90087B-20 lug nuts.

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I don't recommend stacking lug nuts on the wheel studs - really no need. If you're tracking your car - great reason to upgrade to ARP 3" wheel studs - you definitely want to use open ended lug nuts and torque them to spec. (100 ft/lbs). I recommend using the Gorilla 90087B-20 lug nuts.

Why is it that you do not recommend stacking lug nuts on the studs?

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Why is it that you do not recommend stacking lug nuts on the studs?

If you stack two lug nuts on a stud and the lug nuts begin to back off together you won't be able to ensure the lug nut closest to the wheel is torqued to spec. You may torque the 2nd lug nut down to the 1st lug nut at 100 ft./lbs thinking its good to go, but not necessarily down to the wheel, which could cause an unsafe situation. You would need to remove the 2nd lug, torque the 1st, then reinstall the 2nd and torque again.

Road course guys drive their cars at high speeds placing a great deal of lateral force on the wheels for 30 minute sessions at a time - usually 4 sessions per day, giving the lug nuts an opportunity to loosen over time, and I've never seen anyone - racers or HPDE drivers - stack a set of lug nuts on a stud. If you find a lug nut backing off after being torqued to spec., then you should replace the worn nut with a new one.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back