Which brand for Shorty Headers?

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
Have a crack on my headers now, which is causing a big leak and codes. So I am looking to buy new headers. I am not sure what brand are on my car now because the previous owner had them installed.

Can anyone recommend me a good brand of shorty headers? Im on a budget so Im looking for decent headers that will last but cant spend too much. I was thinking maybe $300-350 is that's possible.

2006 Mustang GT
Mods
Saleen Supershaker and steeda exhaust

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Stock. Shorty headers don't add any power and unfortunately many of them are not durable enough to last the life of the vehicle (such as the ones you have now). Pick up some used stock manifolds for $50-$75 and be done with it.

Renesis07

forum member
Reaction score
Stock. Shorty headers don't add any power and unfortunately many of them are not durable enough to last the life of the vehicle (such as the ones you have now). Pick up some used stock manifolds for $50-$75 and be done with it.
This... then troll for a used set of longtubes, I paid less than 500 for my used JBA longtubes and or x pipe for my 2006, and sold them for 380 if I remember

rayS197

Reaction score
I have a set of stock manifolds with about 2k miles on them. If that many. $45 plus the ride if your interested. With the Saleen Shaker it would be better with LT's . Might as well do it right this time. JMO.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Have a crack on my headers now, which is causing a big leak and codes. So I am looking to buy new headers. I am not sure what brand are on my car now because the previous owner had them installed.

Can anyone recommend me a good brand of shorty headers? Im on a budget so Im looking for decent headers that will last but cant spend too much. I was thinking maybe $300-350 is that's possible.

2006 Mustang GT
Mods
Saleen Supershaker and steeda exhaust

Moved. Please review the posting rules for this forum. You should be able to gain a lot of info by searching the site. A post like this is fairly useless as you will get a variety of answers that reflect what the poster has.

Search and include keywords like "problem, won't fit, trouble" etc.

torchred

forum member
Reaction score
Equal length shorty BBK headers.......

My dyno tuner said my car made nearly the same numbers as many of his long tube customers that had the same exact setup, maybe 3-4 HP difference. Their torque curve was probably a little better but is it worth the extra $200?? Just my own personal experience.

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just looks wise, wouldn't put the stock logs back on.

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The consensus is correct. Shorties, are more of a sound mod. You may get gains somewhere in the powerband, but they are minimal. I would save the hassle and go long tubes or nothing.

Definitely agree with the post above though. If you find something decently priced, a nice set of short tubes does add a nicer look than the turd looking manifolds...

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I've had frpp ceramic shorties, JBA stainless, and JBA ceramic which are on the car now. The frpp did help with underhood temps but that was it. I think the JBA equal length are doing something. They did in a magazine test but I don't put much into those commercials/tests. I've also had the Mac ceramic long/mid tubes. They definitely made power imo.

If you can do longtubes then do them. If you can't I'd do JBA shorties. I've had the bbk but didn't install them because of quality issues. That was almost 6 years ago though.

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
OK thank you for the help

I would go long tubes but I cant afford them right now, and my car cant be driven because of the codes it is causing. My main goal right now is to get it up and running, so looks like the best bet is to just get stock manifolds for now then save and find longtubes.

bullitt boy

Reaction score
jb weld on the crack . I have the BBK shortys ceramic coated on the 2014 better sound but hasn't been dynoed yet.
Kooks long tubes on the 09 and they do sound louder and make power have had no issues with em for 4.5 years

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I have BBK Ceramic Shorties...very happy with them.

rdsx18

forum member
Reaction score
I have bbk shorties but only got them because I snapped a stud on the stock manifold and drilled it for 3 hours just to get nowhere. If I were to do it again I would have taken the stock ones out and had it drilled out, took me a full day to put in the bbk headers.

Sent from my Icon using Tapatalk

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
Honestly not too concerned with the amount of power or sound. In the future when I have more funds to spend I will upgrade, but right now I need the easiest most affordable way to make my car driveable.

Swanky197

forum member
Reaction score
Will I need a new tune if I replace my shortys with stock manifolds?

avinaj80

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No, no tunes are needed for shorties.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back