Which twin-disc aftermarket clutch for the 2010 GT500

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is going to be a required mod if I were ever to consider doing a pully/tensioner/tune/headers mod (~550-600 rwhp accoding to Richard at Strictly)...or even if I don't...clutches ARE wear items.....any experiences with twin disc clutches on GT500s?

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow...not a single response. i wonder if there's a forum where there are more GT500 owners/aficionados?

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Ya. And I am afraid there's no 'S197' analog in GT500-land that I've found yet. (let me know if you find one!)

When I was looking at swapping a 5.4L/6060 into my GT, I was planning on the Mcleod RXT.

I figure when the new car gets here, I'll drive the stock clutch until it starts acting up and then switch over.

Last edited:

blacknlte

Reaction score
wow...not a single response. i wonder if there's a forum where there are more GT500 owners/aficionados?

try www.svtperformance.com theres ALOT more over there then here.

but for what your planning on doing, id think youd be ok with the stock one unless you cant drive worth a shit and slip the hell out of it LOL

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a feeling this is going to be a required mod if I were ever to consider doing a pully/tensioner/tune/headers mod (~550-600 rwhp accoding to Richard at Strictly)...or even if I don't...clutches ARE wear items.....any experiences with twin disc clutches on GT500s?

For 550-600rwhp I'll recommend the Mcleod RST twin kit or the Spec SS trim kit. The Mcleod is real smooth and easy to drive. It's got pedal effort lighter than the stocker and doesn't have the chatter or hiss that the stocker has as well. I don't have much personal experience with the SS trim but all of my customers that run them have only good things to say about it.

If you think you're going to be upping the power later on then I'll suggest the upgrade to the Mcleod RXT or the P-Trim from Spec.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help you out.

Thanks, Jared

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ya. And I am afriad there's no 'S197' analog in GT500-land that I've found yet. (let me know if you find one!)

When I was looking at swapping a 5.4L/6060 into my GT, I was planning on the McCleod RXT.

I figure when the new car gets here, I'll drive the stock clutch until it starts acting up and then switch over.

Congrats on your order; I wonder how much the pricing for the 2011 changed over the 2010, what with the aluminum block, electric steering assist, standard HIDs, etc?

try www.svtperformance.com theres ALOT more over there then here.

but for what your planning on doing, id think youd be ok with the stock one unless you cant drive worth a shit and slip the hell out of it LOL

Thanks, I conside myself easy on clutches, don't slip and always match revs. My 2007 has 40,000 mi and is still running the stock clutch after having had ~10,000 mi of 374/430 rw hp/tq on nitrous.

For 550-600rwhp I'll recommend the Mcleod RST twin kit or the Spec SS trim kit. The Mcleod is real smooth and easy to drive. It's got pedal effort lighter than the stocker and doesn't have the chatter or hiss that the stocker has as well. I don't have much personal experience with the SS trim but all of my customers that run them have only good things to say about it.

If you think you're going to be upping the power later on then I'll suggest the upgrade to the Mcleod RXT or the P-Trim from Spec.

Feel free to give us a call if you have any questions and we'll be glad to help you out.

Thanks, Jared

Thanks for the advice...that's exactly what I'll go for. Here's another question. If I buy/install stainless ARH catted headers, will it run lean enough that I'll need to get it retuned?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ill chime in on my experienceswith twin disc clutches so far.

I had an early model OEM one from 2007, when they were having issues with them overheating and warping. It was a decent clutch but one day at the track and 3 passes or so and it was gone.

Upgraded to a spec super twin P trim that was suppsoed to hold 1400 ft lbs of torque. Great street clutch, no noise no chatter, easier than the GT500 OEM and my spec single disc 3+ was from the previous 5 speed trans. 4 passes at the track and it was gone. Melted the clutch material to the floater plate.

Maybe it was a bad clutch, maybe not by 2 discs and 300% more surface area to me = 2x the heat and thats why it melted.

I honestly dont know where to tell you to go from here, i went 4R70w Auto.

blacknlte

Reaction score
ill chime in on my experienceswith twin disc clutches so far.

I had an early model OEM one from 2007, when they were having issues with them overheating and warping. It was a decent clutch but one day at the track and 3 passes or so and it was gone.

Upgraded to a spec super twin P trim that was suppsoed to hold 1400 ft lbs of torque. Great street clutch, no noise no chatter, easier than the GT500 OEM and my spec single disc 3+ was from the previous 5 speed trans. 4 passes at the track and it was gone. Melted the clutch material to the floater plate.

Maybe it was a bad clutch, maybe not by 2 discs and 300% more surface area to me = 2x the heat and thats why it melted.

I honestly dont know where to tell you to go from here, i went 4R70w Auto.

Interesting, cause last i heard from you about the Spec it was great. Guess until you took it down the track!! :deadhorse2:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Interesting, cause last i heard from you about the Spec it was great. Guess until you took it down the track!! :deadhorse2:

It was great, o the street, as i said above great street clutch. not a good track clutch

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in, 94tbird. My application will be street...I just want to make sure that when I'm at 600 rwhp with the pulley/tensioner/tune/headers mod (which is what Strictly typically gets from a GT500 motor with those mods on the OEM sc) and I'm in 4th or 5th gear (greatest amount of load on the clutch), that it won't slip.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
super twin from spec would do you nicely then. i wouldnt track it though

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice...that's exactly what I'll go for. Here's another question. If I buy/install stainless ARH catted headers, will it run lean enough that I'll need to get it retuned?

You'll want your tuner to adjust the tune for the headers even if you're going to run them with cats.

Hope that helps.

Jared

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Congrats on your order; I wonder how much the pricing for the 2011 changed over the 2010, what with the aluminum block, electric steering assist, standard HIDs, etc?

Thanks! Definitely looking forward to it.

Base coupe MSRP went from 46,725 for a 2010 to 49,495 for a 2011.

I believe these are the base model differences between the two years:

- Larger heat exchanger
- EPAS
- Aluminum block
- Larger exhaust
- Underside air flow control
- Standard HIDs
- MyKey is now standard
- The electronics/nav package changed (went to 1 cd) - dunno what else
- 550hp
- Gained 1 mpg in the fuel economy rating

I am waiting anxiously for the automotive press to get their hands on one for a real test. Hopefully that will hold me over until mine comes in.....

Last edited:

MrClean

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
super twin from spec would do you nicely then. i wouldnt track it though

Thanks!

You'll want your tuner to adjust the tune for the headers even if you're going to run them with cats.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Thanks, Jared it does.
Thanks! Definitely looking forward to it.

Base coupe MSRP went from 46,725 for a 2010 to 49,495 for a 2011.

I believe these are the base model differences between the two years:

- Larger heat exchanger
- EPAS
- Aluminum block
- Larger exhaust
- Underside air flow control
- Standard HIDs
- MyKey is now standard
- The electronics/nav package changed (went to 1 cd) - dunno what else
- 550hp
- Gained 1 mpg in the fuel economy rating

I am waiting anxiously for the automotive press to get their hands on one for a real test. Hopefully that will hold me over until mine comes in.....
Sweet! What are EPAS? EPA ratings? Which heat exchanger got larger, the radiator or SC? This is a question I've been wondering about for a pulley/tensioner/tune...is a larger charge air heat exchanger required?
McLeod, Exedy Mach 700 or Spec Twin Disk
Thanks...I'm bookmarking this thread foe future reference.

blacknlte

Reaction score
...is a larger charge air heat exchanger required?

This is from Van from REVANRACING which makes the bigger HE w/fans

You almost have to think of the heat exchanger as a radiator. When your car builds temperature and begins to get hot, the radiator fan kicks on to pull the heat out of the radiator fluid.

The heat exchanger and intercooling system is designed to strictly remove heat from the intercooling system when the vehicle is at speed and wind is crossing over the heat exchanger core. This is the only way to remove the heat on a factory and/or aftermarket unit that does not use or employ fans.

I have hundreds of customers that use their cars as daily drivers. Some have big power some have stock superchargers. In all instances the one thing that most of them have said to me is that before they got the heat exchanger with the dual puller fans the car felt like it had less power 10 or 15 minutes after driving the car. The reason for this is primarily due to the heat the motor is building and where does the intercooler sit? Right in the middle of the block so it not only gets heat from induction but it also gets ambient heat from the block itself.

After installation my customers call me and tell me that the car feels like it did when they first fired it up in the morning. All of the spark advance is there and it puts the power down.

It's not a matter of if you get heat soak, its a matter of when.

You are in Texas and you will feel it very quick as soon as it warms up. I have a number of customers in Texas and they have all said the same thing.

There are even guys that have aftermarket heat exchangers that didn't originally come with fans that have put fans on them because the advantage of being able to draw the heat out of the heat exchanger at slow speed or even at a stop light is what keeps the temperatures down and enables you to tap into the power that you either paid a bunch of money for upfront or make a monthly payment to have.

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Those H/E with the fans on are only good if you plan on sitting still a lot. Once you're moving, they are blocking more airflow instead of flowing more airflow.

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Sweet! What are EPAS? EPA ratings?

"Ford's Electronic Power Assist Steering (EPAS) has also found its way to the GT500. The EPAS system is dramatically more tunable than previous generation power steering systems that relied on a belt-driven pump. With EPAS steering feel can be directly controlled via software to generate high boost for low speed and parking maneuvers and reduced assist for at speed duty. This also helps to eliminate a power-robbing device from the engine's accessory belt."

Which heat exchanger got larger, the radiator or SC? This is a question I've been wondering about for a pulley/tensioner/tune...is a larger charge air heat exchanger required?

"Another area of improvement can be found in the heat exchanger for the aftercooler which is now larger and yields a 40% boost in thermal efficiency. This will be particularly important for those who utilize maximum power for sustained periods of time."

I am going to wait and see on the aftermarket intercooler and fans. Do the pulley/tune thing and *then* see if I need it.

Jared@Lethal

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Those H/E with the fans on are only good if you plan on sitting still a lot. Once you're moving, they are blocking more airflow instead of flowing more airflow.

Didn't seem to negatively effect us here..

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back