Whipple part-throttle issues

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Meaning they didn't send it to u yet gabe?

Nope. I ordered it a half hour before they were closing last night, and while Jim D'Amore the tuner himself was gonna go in today, they have a few ahead of me, he supposedly tunes about 20+ cars/day

Heavy rain tomorrow until Monday night, ... I hope to have the tune Monday, but I won't be ably to really get on it till probably Tuesday anyway ... but yes, I can't wait to load their tune and see if the throttle is fixed ... I so want to drive my car smoothly again ...

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
Fuel trims tell you how accurate the maf xfer table is. The computer uses the maf transfer function to predict how much fuel will be needed. The trims correct it. If the fuel trims are hardly moving it means the maf xfer is pretty close which is a good thing.

As you probably know short term trims are an instant correction for the a/f ratio and long term trims are a prediction based on the short term trends.

OP:

IMO the maf xfer isn't the issue here anyway. I've had a stumble that was partly caused by not having the manifold volume correct in the tune. If it's off then so will be the the delivery of fuel and spark. Did you get the new tune yet?

Except that the Copperhead doesn't work that way. There is only one fueling variable - lambda - fuel delivery is calculated based on estimated airflow and volumetric efficiency. None of the old tables have carried across to the new system.

Last edited:

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Except that the Copperhead doesn't work that way. There is only one fueling variable - lambda - fuel delivery is calculated based on estimated airflow and volumetric efficiency. None of the old tables have carried across to the new system.

This is interesting. Do I understand correctly that the 5.0 doesn't use a maf transfer function to predict fueling needs?

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
The idea of reloading the stock tune, turning the key to the on position (without starting the engine), and slowly pressing the gas pedal while watching the throttle plate movement, is an intriguing one.
Would this work with the GT500 throttle body installed?

JAJ

forum member
Reaction score
This is interesting. Do I understand correctly that the 5.0 doesn't use a maf transfer function to predict fueling needs?

It's all speed density all the time. Even idling. That means that while it uses the digital MAF for everything, there are no tables that link MAF and fuel. It calculates fuel by looking at the engine's ability to remove air from the manifold based on the estimated MAP, VCT settings, RPM, temperature, manifold volume, etc, and then bases the fuel flow on that calculation. Short term and long-term fuel trims are just a clean-up crew that sorts any inaccuracies in the calculation.

Last edited:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
JDM tune just arrived via e-mail, already loaded it and the throttle issue is FIXED !!!!

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
JDM tune just arrived via e-mail, already loaded it and the throttle issue is FIXED !!!!

Awesome!
Get her re-dyno'd and see what she puts down now!

Too bad you can't look at the two tunes side-by-side to see what was different.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
Awesome!
Get her re-dyno'd and see what she puts down now!

Too bad you can't look at the two tunes side-by-side to see what was different.

My tuner would be able to once i get her back on the Dyno. I'm sure he'll save a copy of the file for himself.

And yeah, i hope to have numbers by Friday evening

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It's all speed density all the time. Even idling. That means that while it uses the digital MAF for everything, there are no tables that link MAF and fuel. It calculates fuel by looking at the engine's ability to remove air from the manifold based on the estimated MAP, VCT settings, RPM, temperature, manifold volume, etc, and then bases the fuel flow on that calculation. Short term and long-term fuel trims are just a clean-up crew that sorts any inaccuracies in the calculation.

I was going to say "there's no MAP sensor," but then I saw you said estimated MAP.

So what, exactly, is the MAF sensor used for?

My tuner would be able to once i get her back on the Dyno. I'm sure he'll save a copy of the file for himself.

And yeah, i hope to have numbers by Friday evening

Why? I wouldn't let that clown touch my car ever again.

konablue11gt

forum member
Reaction score
I was going to say "there's no MAP sensor," but then I saw you said estimated MAP.

X2 ..Gabe ..dude wtf? don't take it back there data log with someone if ya have to ..just because the guys got a dyno don't make him qualified to tune your car.

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
X2 ..Gabe ..dude wtf? don't take it back there data log with someone if ya have to ..just because the guys got a dyno don't make him qualified to tune your car.

I've known the guy a while, he's a good guy, a great tuner, just had a new combo he didn't do before and most likely overlooked something.

He can still dyno the car and tell me how much power I'm putting down and if the tune is safe or not

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

So you are gonna enable the guy to steal JDM's tune. Thats all kinds of fucked up.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
So you are gonna enable the guy to steal JDM's tune. Thats all kinds of fucked up.

Unless it's in mako format that won't be very easy. Most tuners aren't going to send a mako out unless it's to a shop they contract with for fine tuning. Say for driveability issues.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score

I decided to look it up myself. This is what the Ford manual says the MAF is used for:

Gabe

Whippled Coyote
Reaction score
I didn't think of it as stealing JDM's tune ... Hmmmm ...

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you let him pull their tune and save it for future use its stealing in my book. They worked to get you a tune that let your car run as it should and your other tuner couldnt. Is it fair to share their work?

Back