Whipple supercharger help

hotrod_renegade

Captain Hindsight
Reaction score
I just sent him a text. He told me everything he had on his same year 2005 Mustang GT I would be getting in this kit. The pulleys are confusing me. I was expecting a simple install considering it was coming off the same year Mustang that had nothing else done to it except exhaust.

Either way, it would probably be cheaper and a lot easier to just buy a 6 rib pulley and belt for the blower and run your stock pulley system. Then you can sell the 10-rib setup and recupe some money.

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Take the intercooler off the blower and inspect the rotors before you put it on the car. It may need a rebuild.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Have you contacted the seller to see why they failed to mention the setup they were selling you was a 10 rib? I didn't have a whipple on my '08 but I'd imagine you'd have to swap all the pulleys to make that work. That crank pulley looks like an underdrive pulley, not sure why anyone would want to run that with a supercharger. I'd contact the seller and ask what they sent you and what their setup was.

The 10rib kit from Steeda goes on in addition to the stock 6 rib system. The Steeda kit runs the blower, that's it.

I just sent him a text. He told me everything he had on his same year 2005 Mustang GT I would be getting in this kit. The pulleys are confusing me. I was expecting a simple install considering it was coming off the same year Mustang that had nothing else done to it except exhaust.

Get the instructions from Steeda on that 10 rib kit. That's all you will need. Your stock 6rib pulleys/belt will remain the same as it is right now.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Either way, it would probably be cheaper and a lot easier to just buy a 6 rib pulley and belt for the blower and run your stock pulley system. Then you can sell the 10-rib setup and recupe some money.

You would need to buy another snout if you want to run the 6-rib set up. For your intended boost levels the need for a 10-rib is debatable. If you wanna run the 10-rib you have to swap the crank pulley which will add the drive for the 10-rib and then use the bracket and tensioner pulley. If you go this route you shouldn't have to do anything to any of the other stock pulleys on your motor.

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
The 10rib kit from Steeda goes on in addition to the stock 6 rib system. The Steeda kit runs the blower, that's it.

Get the instructions from Steeda on that 10 rib kit. That's all you will need. Your stock 6rib pulleys/belt will remain the same as it is right now.

That's why I was so confused as I figured by the size that it was a 10 rib set-up. Just that the belt was so short that it couldn't possibly go through everything. So this Steeda system only powers the blower and the other belt stays on and does its regular job? Is this better? There is no part #'s on the Steeda pulley. Just trying to figure by the size what boost rating this would produce?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
You would need to buy another snout if you want to run the 6-rib set up. For your intended boost levels the need for a 10-rib is debatable. If you wanna run the 10-rib you have to swap the crank pulley which will add the drive for the 10-rib and then use the bracket and tensioner pulley. If you go this route you shouldn't have to do anything to any of the other stock pulleys on your motor.

I can't remember if the Steeda kit comes with a OD water pump pulley to offset the UD 6rib crank pulley. That may be a "thing".

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I emailed Steeda with the questions I have and included my pics to assist in them helping me determine the boost level. I also requested their installation papers and parts list. Hope this all works out.

You're going to need to measure the diameter of the upper and lower pulley to figure out what you have/boost level. There are a lot of options.

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
You're going to need to measure the diameter of the upper and lower pulley to figure out what you have/boost level. There are a lot of options.

I've measured all the pulleys I received with my kit and posted them up here with pics and the tape measured size of each.

If the black Steeda Pulley in the pics is the bottom one I'm not sure how that would work as it is only a 6 rib. This is confusing! Hope Steeda sends me a reply today.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
There isn't a pic of the lower 10rib blower pulley.

It's the big aluminum one:

555-3353-pol-1.jpg

And you need to measure at the tips of the "teeth", not the "fences" on the edge of the pulley.

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
There isn't a pic of the lower 10rib blower pulley.

It's the big aluminum one:

555-3353-pol-1.jpg

And you need to measure at the tips of the "teeth", not the "fences" on the edge of the pulley.

It looks like I have everything but that lower Steeda 10 rib pulley. Now it makes sense to me. Lol. I'm going to text the seller to see why he didn't send me that. Sucks!

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
I'm just concerned that this Steeda 10 rib set-up I will have will produce more boost and power than my stock internals can handle? Should I be concerned? I guess my other option is to trade for a stock Whipple 6 rib set-up with the 10-11lbs. Boost?
Thoughts?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I'm just concerned that this Steeda 10 rib set-up I will have will produce more boost and power than my stock internals can handle? Should I be concerned? I guess my other option is to trade for a stock Whipple 6 rib set-up with the 10-11lbs. Boost?
Thoughts?

Or just run the correct pulley combo for 10-11psi with the Steeda.

Going from 10rib to 6 rib is the LAST thing you want to do.

scrappydoo1888

forum member
Reaction score
Or just run the correct pulley combo for 10-11psi with the Steeda.

Going from 10rib to 6 rib is the LAST thing you want to do.

I got an email back from Rod at Steeda. The upper pulley is the same on all of the kits. The Lower pulley dictates the boost. With the belt size I was sent from the guy he was running the 11-13lbs boost kit which is the lowest boost available in the 10 rib kits.
This is what a new 1 will cost....

We change the lower pulley to change the boost.
Lower pulley is $269.95
Part # 555-3355
Give me a call to order it.
Thanks,
Rod

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I got an email back from Rod at Steeda. The upper pulley is the same on all of the kits. The Lower pulley dictates the boost. With the belt size I was sent from the guy he was running the 11-13lbs boost kit which is the lowest boost available in the 10 rib kits.
This is what a new 1 will cost....

We change the lower pulley to change the boost.
Lower pulley is $269.95
Part # 555-3355
Give me a call to order it.
Thanks,
Rod

How big is the lower pulley for that kit?

If you go back to 6 rib you will need:

Stock balancer $35
Blower snout $250 (I think, it could be more)
Blower pulley $140 (I think)
Good belt tensioner $90 minimum
Belt $45

That's the bare minimum. You may be missing idlers or something too.

Do this. Figure out what size lower that is they're trying to sell you. And find out what size 6 rib upper pulley comes with that blower to make 450hp at 10-11psi. I will be able to tell you how much the Steeda kit actually makes then.

Worse case I can make you an upper pulley so you're making 450hp. You wil have spent less money than going back to 6 rib and you will have a belt system that's 100x better.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back