Whiteline Watts Link Failure

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
No its a FR500GT. I have an FR500S tub in storage because it's bent. When I get time I am going to grind all the seam welds out and cut part o the cage out to fix it. I have an 06 that I'm going to transfer a lot of the parts over to it from the FR. I am trying to get everything squared away so I can put all the suspension on before thanksgiving and then do all the body and aero to it after Christmas.

Nice. You should start a thread (if you havent already)

I'd love to see it, and keep up with the progress.:thumb2:

Pics are nice.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
I have talked to my engineer and we are going to make the propeller a little different and put it in double sheer. The side plates for the diff will be made out of 7056 Aircraft Alum and the prop will be done out of 4140CM with either roller bearings or oil impregnated bronze instead of a poly bushing but you will be able to retain the stock Whiteline arms. Let's see if it works. I'm going to use mine as a guinea pig so cross your fingers!!

Good luck. I don't have an exact idea of what you are going to do about putting it in double shear, but clearances "can" be an issue.

Attachments

• DSC_0019 edit.jpg
    DSC_0019 edit.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 97

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I have some pics of all the suspension stuff laid out and when I put everything on I am going to document and post a build thread. I called and left a MSG for Terry about the failures people are having and was going to run my idea past him and also pick his brain on if they have had any problems with their unit. I'm thinking the arm part on the prop was just a bad weld and the other piece was because they called for a bad torque so if that's all I'm not sure if it's wise to invest in all the time to make parts that people are not going to buy plus is it really needed. You know investment and return etc.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Yea my idea it would not be any taller or wider than what the unit is now. I have it drawed up but I need to put it in Solidworks so I can make sure everything will work. I'm not going to tackle this one alone I am going to have our engineer help me with it because if we do decide to make these I DO NOT want it failing on a track. Maybe make a prototype and give it to Terry and say "go break it" to figure out the weak points until everything is perfect.

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
Another pic. Couldn't get two on one reply.

Edit- The amount of time it has taken me to upload, you made 2 replies. Apologies. If I saw where you said that it would be no taller than stock I would have held off. Sounds like you have it under control.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    DSC_0020.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
I NEVER have anything under control!! LOL!! I will design something then change it, change it and change it some more. I have 2 nicknames, "Capt unnesscerry" and "Dr Frankinstine"

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
mother_of_god_in_hd_by_lemmino-d64ndao.png

2013DIBGT

I Hate Wheelhop
Reaction score
One thing I find interesting with the Whiteline Watts Link is how they have the Watts tower mounted to the underside of the body.

They use the two bolts at the front face of the Watts tower that are pre-existing from the OEM Panhard brace and add an additional tab, also on the front face of the Watts tower. They also use the standard cross brace that ties the driver and passenger side together but again, it also mounts on the font face of the tower.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that they are not attempting to secure the rear half of the Watts tower in some way? :crazy:

I mean if they called for welding, it would make sense to not worry about the back of the tower but since they are only using bolts and all of them are on the front face it would seem that at least 50% of the Watts towers base is just flapping in the breeze, so to speak.

When you add up the weight of the tower itself along with all the components that connect to it, then you throw in the fact that the back of the tower isn't secured to the frame it begs the question as to weather or not some movement in that tower is playing any role in the types of failures seen in this thread. I mean, I would consider that tower a critical component in the chain and if it has any freedom to move then some form of Bind is sure to follow.

Has anyone welded their Whiteline unit for extra bracing purposes? If not, can anyone comment on how sturdy they feel the tower is when installed? I think a simple test would be to smack the back of the tower , open handed and see if it shows signs of lifting away from the body at the point where there are no bolts to hold it down.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
One thing I find interesting with the Whiteline Watts Link is how they have the Watts tower mounted to the underside of the body.

They use the two bolts at the front face of the Watts tower that are pre-existing from the OEM Panhard brace and add an additional tab, also on the front face of the Watts tower. They also use the standard cross brace that ties the driver and passenger side together but again, it also mounts on the font face of the tower.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that they are not attempting to secure the rear half of the Watts tower in some way? :crazy:

I mean if they called for welding, it would make sense to not worry about the back of the tower but since they are only using bolts and all of them are on the front face it would seem that at least 50% of the Watts towers base is just flapping in the breeze, so to speak.

When you add up the weight of the tower itself along with all the components that connect to it, then you throw in the fact that the back of the tower isn't secured to the frame it begs the question as to weather or not some movement in that tower is playing any role in the types of failures seen in this thread. I mean, I would consider that tower a critical component in the chain and if it has any freedom to move then some form of Bind is sure to follow.

Has anyone welded their Whiteline unit for extra bracing purposes? If not, can anyone comment on how sturdy they feel the tower is when installed? I think a simple test would be to smack the back of the tower , open handed and see if it shows signs of lifting away from the body at the point where there are no bolts to hold it down.

Out of all of the units they have sold their is only these failures that are on this board. A couple bad welds and a stripped diff cover. Terry at Vorshlage beats the shit out of his day in and day out and has had no problems. It seams like a couple isolated incedents. Whiteline is taking care of it and im sure they are looking into it. As far as your question I will try that when I install mine this weekend. Could the prop be made better? Probably but then it will be stupid expensive. I am going to make some parts for mine and if it works then maybe Whiteline can implement it into the next version. Who knows. Right now their product is still a great piece! I actually just received my Whiteline ball joints and tie rods tonight. Awesome pieces!! Now all I need is the FCA bushings and I have it all!!

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Well, the side that failed was not on the side of the Watts tower. After taking it off I can confirm that it has no signs of having moved.

When you are referring to the front face, you mean the rear, as all of those locations face the rear of the car. It is the front of the tower that does not have any tabs.

The brace mounts to the bracket in line with (beneath) the locations of where the bolts mount to the chassis.

Since the arm mounts forward of the chassis mounting location it will cause some torque on the two bolts and the chassis brace. This torque will be counteracted by the tab and bolt that are mounted to the sway bar location.

Of all of the things about this watts link, I am not even the least bit concerned about any of the chassis mounting bits. I don't even know what would have to happen to the car for that bracket to break or slip. It feels like a rock on there.

I am now, however, very concerned about the integrity of the pivot points on the propellor.

Also, I was/am hoping that Terry Fair or someone from Vorshlag would chime in here. I would like to hear actual confirmation that this has not happened to them.

Haven't seen anybody from Vorshlag on the board at all lately so chances are they have not seen the thread.

NoTicket

forum member
Reaction score
Hey RoadRacer350,

If you are installing the Watts Link this weekend, make sure, whatever you do, to print out their new install guide. Do not use their old one.

Also, I would refer to the FSM for all of the torque specs on the factory bolts that are reused instead of using those supplied by Whiteline.

Roadracer350

forum member
Reaction score
Hey RoadRacer350,

If you are installing the Watts Link this weekend, make sure, whatever you do, to print out their new install guide. Do not use their old one.

Also, I would refer to the FSM for all of the torque specs on the factory bolts that are reused instead of using those supplied by Whiteline.

Already got them! :highfive: it looks like only 2 specs has changed. The bolt to the diff and the tower bolt. Everything else looks the same.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back