Why do I see so many 17X7's?

Untchbl

Reaction score
As I start to decide on which wheels both for street use as well as trips to the track, I'm confused by all of the guys that go with a 17x7 up front?

Are you guys using that extra tire because you are daily driving your "skinnies?"

Am I missing something by going thinner on a 17" front runner?

I plan to have a set of 19" or 20" wheels for street use, with my big and skinny setup only seeing time at the track and the occasional trip around town. I couldn't really find any info on this.

Thanks,

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Clear brembo and still have some tread for street, for me anyway.

Rypper1

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I start to decide on which wheels both for street use as well as trips to the track, I'm confused by all of the guys that go with a 17x7 up front?

Are you guys using that extra tire because you are daily driving your "skinnies?"

Am I missing something by going thinner on a 17" front runner?

I plan to have a set of 19" or 20" wheels for street use, with my big and skinny setup only seeing time at the track and the occasional trip around town. I couldn't really find any info on this.

Thanks,

Exactly for me. Don't want to DD on true skinnies.

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Driving on skinnies is easy, just dont drive like an idiot and you will be fine.

Untchbl

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, isn't there a 17x4.5 that will clear the brembo's?

So mainly for safety reasons when daily driving them a street setup?

JEWC_Motorsports

S197 Junkie
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes there are 17x4.5's that will clear brembos. Yes you will have to slow down sooner because you will have less tire in contact with the ground and you will have to take corners a little slower.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
I ran Weld 17x4.5's up front for several years on my 2011 and could never get used to the lack of braking. I sold them for some 17x7's and was much happier.

fast Ed

forum member
Reaction score
Skinnies on the front of a modern car for the street are a great way to make it feel like a 50 year old car on the street as far braking and steering are concerned.

cheers
Ed

KrisR

forum member
Reaction score
I use the 17x7s because I put them on before driving to the track, and one of the tracks I frequent is 200+ miles away (one way) from my house. I feel much better about driving that far/fast on a more substantial tire (215/60-17 in my case) than some little tire that is barely rated for the weight of the car. I put the matching rear 15x8s on when I get there.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
Why would you run skinnies on the street when it is so easy to swap tires?! It makes no sense to me!!

Untchbl

Reaction score
I personally won't be running skinnies on the street unless I just haven't swapped the street setup back on and we are going out and about in the car.

I was just confused with all of the guys I see running the wider front "skinny"; but it appears they are driving them quite a bit more on the street than I will be.

Back