Why is my 3v so slow at the track?

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
It has a proper tune for the mods I have.
And the da is supposed to be good idk exactly what it is but mooresville NC Is the location

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What is the elevation of the track you race at? Edit -- never mind I looked it up its at 925 feet. East coast air this time of year is supposed to be killer.

So, do you squeeze out of the hole or not? I still don't see a clear answer on that. That is important, because if you don't, the 28 tall tire could be a factor vs a 26. But if you squeeze out of the hole, then I don't believe the 28 is a factor. It would most definitely be a factor N/A, however.

Check your plugs, as stated. What is your total timing at WOT? How do you know the car is "properly tuned"? Obviously something is wrong because as you point out yourself, it should be faster/quicker with the 100 shot. Exactly where did you install your cams at (advanced/0/retarded).

Last edited:

ethic1

forum member
Reaction score
Get rid of the BAMA tune if you are wanting to go fast, First thing I would do

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
DA be damned, he's spraying a 100+ shot and not keeping up with coyote cars. Something is definitely not adding up.
Do plugs, they're cheap. Then play with the tune.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
it already has the one step colder spark plugs..I definitely do want to get a dyno tune but i just had to get my rear end fixed so that put a damper on things.. and as far as timing and all that i'm not sure its just whatever Bama sent me..

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I can tell you those nose diving shifts are part of the problem.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
it already has the one step colder spark plugs..I definitely do want to get a dyno tune but i just had to get my rear end fixed so that put a damper on things.. and as far as timing and all that i'm not sure its just whatever Bama sent me..

So you don't know if the tune is, in fact, good.

On the plugs, it doesn't matter if they are one step colder--they could STILL be an issue when you run nitrous. Too much timing and / or too little fuel and you will start damaging the ground strap. If nothing else, you could pull the plugs, and VERIFY that not only do they look good, but measure the plug gaps and make sure its where you want it.

It will take 10 minutes, and could answer a lot of questions.

deathwishracer

forum member
Reaction score
I did pick up tenths when I installed a wideband, and fine tuned my plate. Bama tunes rich for nitrous, to cover their arse, understandably. Wideband is a very useful tuning tool.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
I did pick up tenths when I installed a wideband, and fine tuned my plate. Bama tunes rich for nitrous, to cover their arse, understandably. Wideband is a very useful tuning tool.

That's good to know about Bama tunes. Meanwhile his NA runs are way below average for his mods as well. I think he should get the runs correct in NA form before trying to run the juice.

Bossmustang16

3v to 4v
Reaction score
running a 28" tall tire will hurt me NA, the reason FDJIZM is running so good or a main reason is the 26" tall tire which effectively gives him a 4:56 gear or similar and provides him with that extra he needs. If he were to use FI or N20 his 60 ft times would most likely suffer. Not interested to much in NA numbers.. Low 7's FTW

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
running a 28" tall tire will hurt me NA, the reason FDJIZM is running so good or a main reason is the 26" tall tire which effectively gives him a 4:56 gear or similar and provides him with that extra he needs. If he were to use FI or N20 his 60 ft times would most likely suffer. Not interested to much in NA numbers.. Low 7's FTW

Actually that's not quite right. Assuming his car came with 235/50/18's from the factory his effective ratio is as follows :

(4.10/(26/27.25))= 4.29

You ratio is as follows:

(3.73/(28/27.25))= 3.63

While he does have more gear I don't think that would equate to nearly a full second difference in the 1/4 in NA form. As it sits his run is actually faster than your best nitrous run by 0.005 sec and he is NA. I don't think the difference of 0.66 gear ratio is going to account for that much difference. I hope you get it figured out. Again, do you have a wideband??

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would be hard pressed to run a canned tune on nitous.....just saying

Back