Will Not Running a MidPipe Cause Any Issues

Goinpro

forum member
Reaction score
Installed LT headers this weekend, but the H-Pipe doesn't fit real well, so I'm going to bring the car into an exhaust shop. Question 1 - Can I drive it in without a mid-pipe?

I've tried starting the car, but it just shutters for a couple of seconds (if that) and dies. The exhaust shops I called all said that not having a mid-pipe shouldn't cause any issues. Question 2 - Any thoughts on how I can get it up and running? Oh, and I got a new tune post-install, and still no luck.

Ssiptang

forum member
Reaction score
Installed LT headers this weekend, but the H-Pipe doesn't fit real well, so I'm going to bring the car into an exhaust shop. Question 1 - Can I drive it in without a mid-pipe?

I've tried starting the car, but it just shutters for a couple of seconds (if that) and dies. The exhaust shops I called all said that not having a mid-pipe shouldn't cause any issues. Question 2 - Any thoughts on how I can get it up and running? Oh, and I got a new tune post-install, and still no luck.

I drove to the exhaust shop with open headers without any issue. Just watch out for cops lol.
I don't know about the starting issue though. Long tubes shouldn't cause that. Maybe CEL but certainly not starting issue. Did you reconnect the front o2 sensor?

D98GT

STREETCAR
Reaction score
Ah okay well the midpipe and headers aren't the cause of that. Go over and check that you connected all of the grounds and plugs back in, did you jack the motor up to install?

Goinpro

forum member
Reaction score
Ah okay well the midpipe and headers aren't the cause of that. Go over and check that you connected all of the grounds and plugs back in, did you jack the motor up to install?

Everything was re-installed. Yes, I jacked the motor up.

97camastang06

forum member
Reaction score
Everything was re-installed. Yes, I jacked the motor up.

Stupid little things? Battery terms connected. Check alternator. I know there's the trick of disconnecting maf or somthing to see if it's mechanical or tune issues? Hope it works out for ya I had problems post long tube install as well.

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
Should be alright running it open LTs minus the noise. I ran my 4.0 about 50 miles driving it home from a friends after install and to the exhaust shop, no problems.

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can disconnect the MAF and see if it starts. If it starts and runs then it's something in the tune but it sounds like you have something that didn't get connected back, when you did the install. Just adding LT's shouldn't make it not run. If you get it running you can drive it the the shop without worry jut watch the cops because of the noise.

Earl

Last edited:

Goinpro

forum member
Reaction score
It was the tune. Got a new one, and she starts up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lito

forum member
Reaction score
To explain a little further so if this happens to somebody else again, there is nothing wrong on running as it was setup BUT the issue comes that the sensors are quite at the end of the pipe and the flow is too low with a lot of backflow so the sensors keep reading outside air and staying low so this will induce a correction that could choke the engine out. Car is now open loop temporarily.

If any of you get into this situation, and needs to move the car and do not have access to your tuner, start it and keep the revs high on the first start while it is in open loop so once it closes, the flow will avoid it chocking because the reads will stay less lean.

Goinpro

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for jumping in Lito. I should have clarified that there wasn't an issue with the tune I had, but a tune adjustment got it running in this situation.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So just wondering...can the car be ran without an H or X pipe, i.e., straight pipes from the headers back? Not planing on it, just wondering the technical purpose if it.

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, that is basically what a racecar exhaust is (calculated and designed length and form, obviously)

lito

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, I misread your post. AFAIK, the idea of the interconnecting exhaust is pressure balancing, because pressure is pulsating it helps back pressure and scavenging.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
To explain a little further so if this happens to somebody else again, there is nothing wrong on running as it was setup BUT the issue comes that the sensors are quite at the end of the pipe and the flow is too low with a lot of backflow so the sensors keep reading outside air and staying low so this will induce a correction that could choke the engine out. Car is now open loop temporarily.

If any of you get into this situation, and needs to move the car and do not have access to your tuner, start it and keep the revs high on the first start while it is in open loop so once it closes, the flow will avoid it chocking because the reads will stay less lean.

Good to know, thanks Lito.

Back