Window Moleskin Installation For Tinted Windows

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
If you have your windows tinted and don't want them to get scratched, then you might want to install some moleskin on the inside window seal. This seal is a plastic strip and Ford didn't bother to put any fuzz on it to protect the glass/tint like they did on the outside. When some dirt or dust gets on it, it will scratch your brand new tint. Here is instructions on how to install some moleskin on the plastic seal. I purchased my kit from http://www.tintprotector.com/ford/index.htm , but I didn't see any difference between this and the stuff at a hobby store. The adhesive may be stronger, because they say this is specially designed for this purpose. For $30, I figured I would just buy their kit and be done with it.

Step 1. Roll down the window to begin, then locate plate behind door handle and remove it. I popped it out with my finger while holding the handle in the open position. A small metal hook to grab the backside would work too.
252391702.jpg

Step 2. Once plate is removed notice the size 28 torx bit screw. Remove the screw.

252391738.jpg

Step 3. Pop off the corner piece on the top of the doors. These just pull straight off and have clips holding them on.

252391731.jpg

Step 4. Locate the 2 9/32" screws on the rear edge of the door and remove them.

252391798.jpg

Step 5. Grasp the top edge of the door and lift it up and pull it back to access the seal. You really have to lift pretty hard on the rear corner to get it up and over the seal.

252391795.jpg

Step 6. Remove the seal by just lifting it straight up and off.

252391783.jpg

252391788.jpg

Step 7. Use a piece of sandpaper to rough up the surface of the seal where you are going to adhere the moleskin.

252391751.jpg

Step 8. Use rubbing alcohol and a lint free cloth to clean the surface of the seal.

Step 9. This step is optional. I measured the seal surface area which was 3/4" and cut my moleskin to that width so I would have less chance of the moleskin getting dirt underneith and coming off or rolling.

252391769.jpg

Step 10. Cut the moleskin strip in half so it is just a little longer than the door seal in length. The moleskin comes in one piece, so I cut it the piece into equal lengths.

Step 11. Pull back adhesive covering about 3" and attach it to the window seal. Slowly peel the backing off about 3-4" at a time and keep attaching it until you have it fully attached to the seal. Cut the excess off that isn't needed.

252392042.jpg

Step 12. Now reinstall the door seal and put the door back together in the reverse order of above steps. Really I think I could have put it on without taking any thing apart, but I didn't want to risk scratching the window.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Nice write up thanks.
+1 :clap:

When I had window tint on the doors (before ther CHP made me remove it), it was totally scratched up. If/when I ever get around to re-tinting the door windows, this will for sure go on first!

1Fast05Turbo

Flying Low
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 :clap:

When I had window tint on the doors (before ther CHP made me remove it), it was totally scratched up. If/when I ever get around to re-tinting the door windows, this will for sure go on first!
Don, when I ordered muy moleskin they sent me 2 sets. If you want the extra one I have, PM me.

silverjay

Get Out of the Cold
Reaction score
I so need to do this.

My passenger window is scratched pretty bad, lucky for me the drivers isn't so much.

Still have to ask my tinter how much to redo the doors

M

MattD

My passenger window is also a lot more scratched up than the driver's side. That's kind of odd to me since I hardly use the passenger side.

omaharacer

Reaction score
I got my mole skin from empirepao.com - They are the cheapest anywhere. ($5.25 for 10 ft) I just replaced - er... put on a set from them today. It took about 30-45 minutes total. And most of that was making sure I did it right the first time.

silverjay

Get Out of the Cold
Reaction score
I got my mole skin from empirepao.com - They are the cheapest anywhere. ($5.25 for 10 ft) I just replaced - er... put on a set from them today. It took about 30-45 minutes total. And most of that was making sure I did it right the first time.

Well just purchased mine.
Can't wait for it to come in.

flgt

Reaction score
First post! ;) I thought I would contribute a little.

I bought the cheap $5 moleskin from above and found it to be awful! It fell off leaving glue all over my tint. That's what I get for being stingy.

I then bought the Felt from Tint Protector and it made a night and day difference. It's made for the heat and to get wet.

It's been on my car now for over 3 years without any problems. Buy the Tint Protector stuff. It's made for this purpose.

flgt

Reaction score
First post! ;) I thought I would contribute a little.

I bought the cheap $5 moleskin from above and found it to be awful! It fell off leaving glue all over my tint. That's what I get for being stingy.

I then bought the Felt from Tint Protector and it made a night and day difference. It's made for the heat and to get wet.

It's been on my car now for over 3 years without any problems. Buy the Tint Protector stuff. It's made for this purpose.

:beerchug2:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back