Wing refinish

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
Wing on my car was painted and installed probably 10 years ago or so, and the Florida sun has taken it's toll on it.

I was going to redo it but looking for some advice on the process. As you can see, the fiberglass or whatever it is underneath is cracking too, so I was going to seal it with some kind of marine epoxy?

Strip it all down, then:
Marine epoxy layer, filling in all cracks
high build primer
Color
Clear

Does this sound about right? Would you use anything else to seal the wing back? I don't want to get a new one if possible.

20230814_122904.jpg

Miker

Reaction score
I would sand it down, prime it, and paint it. I don't think epoxy would be necessary.

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
think the high build primer would be enough to fill all the stuff in on the duraglass or whatever its called?

Derf08

Reaction score
Yes, the high build primer will be enough unless you have deep cracks which would require filling and prepping before primming. Also for the clear, use a two part clear like this. It's expensive but a strong high-grade clear will prevent future issues. I've used it and it's not any more difficult to use than regular single part clear that normally buy at the auto parts store. The huge advantages are that it bonds better to the color coat, is stronger, and therefore won't chip/flake as easily. So, your work lasts. Especially with your weather. One can should be plenty for two coats on your wing. Just follow the instructions as it differs a bit from typical rattle can clears.

https://www.eastwood.com/ew-2k-aero...ickedid=629952193867&wickedsource=google&wv=4

pass1over

I like it LOW
Reaction score
The cracks aren't deep, they seem to be pretty shallow. I've used the 2k clear in the past when I refinished the dually fenders on my F550. It came out pretty good for a spray can I will admit.

I've since upgraded to an actual spray gun and all the associated equipment that goes along with it (compressor, water separator, etc.), in preparation for a full repaint on my 66 coupe. This will be my first project with the gun, I figured a small piece like this would be good to start on. I've done some bodywork in the past, but never any painting with a gun.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back