wiper cowl fading

ShaDi

forum member
Reaction score
my wiper cowl on my 2012 is faded and now looks gray and was wondering if anyone else has this issue and what is the best way to keep it looking nice and black?

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
I was gonna say either paint, or if you want to keep it completely original, you could always hit it up with Plasti Dip.

DDTCM

Dan
Reaction score
What have you been using to protect it? Did you try some back to black?

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
What have you been using to protect it? Did you try some back to black?

Back to Black IMO doesn't last very well and steaks like mad. I bought a bottle of it, used it once and tossed the rest after seeing how it performed.

Glad you like it, but I've not had luck with it.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Ultima Tire and trim guard works well for me and lasts. also CG VRP and Blue Guard have been tossed around. I have VRP and like it as well, but i have not used BG yet.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
X2 ^^^^

Ultima Tire and Trim Guard is nice and does last a while...However, CG G6 shines a lot deeper and looks better IMO, just doesn't stand up as well to the elements.

ShaDi

forum member
Reaction score
i have tried back to black and it did not last long at all.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Chemical Guys Blue Guard II and VRP do very well. Meguiars Ultimate Black did pretty good too for something you can get locally.

No matter what you do, make sure you degrease it before you apply the product. If you don't, it likely wont adhere to the plastic and will wash away quickly.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
I plast-dipped mine on my 07 since its never garaged and the plastic looked terrible

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
IMO most of those dressings do more harm than good when you consider the long term effects. If you're trading the car in 3 years then it doesn't matter, but on a 10 year old vehicle you can always tell the people who used plastic trim dressing every month when the car was new.

I'm sure the next three replies will be telling me how *this* product doesn't do that and I'm wrong. But I keep my vehicles for 10 years or more and I'll skip the crap that sucks the life out of the plastic trim.

Sounds like Plasti Dip would be an excellent option. I did the outer edge of my faux gas cap on the back of my car 2 years ago and it still looks good.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
IMO most of those dressings do more harm than good when you consider the long term effects. If you're trading the car in 3 years then it doesn't matter, but on a 10 year old vehicle you can always tell the people who used plastic trim dressing every month when the car was new.

I'm sure the next three replies will be telling me how *this* product doesn't do that and I'm wrong. But I keep my vehicles for 10 years or more and I'll skip the crap that sucks the life out of the plastic trim.

Sounds like Plasti Dip would be an excellent option. I did the outer edge of my faux gas cap on the back of my car 2 years ago and it still looks good.

Crap, how much is a new cowl piece?

Honestly, out of all the Mustangs I've had I haven't had one that had a crappy looking wiper cowl. But I've always told myself when it starts to go, I'll just buy a new one.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
There is a product that's basically a paint that is sold on Auto Geek and other detailing sites but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Found it - http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html

I can't say if it works as advertised but you can do a search on the AG forum and see what other's experience has been.

Last edited:

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
The Mothers does a fairly good job. The Eagle 1 seems to last a bit longer but really leaves chemical behind on other body parts (like the mirrors) everytime it rains. I think long term I'll have to paint it as well.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
There is a product that's basically a paint that is sold on Auto Geek and other detailing sites but for the life of me I can't remember the name.

Found it - http://www.autogeek.net/forblacbumtr.html

I can't say if it works as advertised but you can do a search on the AG forum and see what other's experience has been.

Man, that stuff almost reminds me of black shoe polish. Wonder if there is really any difference. That's a dye as well.

Wonder if interior paint would be a good choice? Like the Sems stuff.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Plasti-Dip. Use it. Works wonders. Doesn't fade, looks good, protects the piece, is cheap, is easy to do, and if done correctly, will peel right off in one piece. Why is this so hard?

ClassJ

Powershifter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Also my wiper arms are peeling even though I touched one of them up already.

New cowl plastic is like $120 to $140 a pair I think.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Can of Plasti-Dip is like $7.59 at Home Depot. You can do multiple cowls, and they will all look brand new.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I have the same problem. Also my wiper arms are peeling even though I touched one of them up already.

New cowl plastic is like $120 to $140 a pair I think.

Yeah, I need to reshoot my wiper arms as well. One is fine but the other looks like crap.

Bill220

forum member
Reaction score
Can of Plasti-Dip is like $7.59 at Home Depot. You can do multiple cowls, and they will all look brand new.

For 7 bucks it is worth a try. If mine fades on me I'll give it a try.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back