wiper cowl fading

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
I bought this stuff and tried it out. I'm not 100% sold on it, because it left the plastic less 'black' than I would have liked. But it didn't streak and it seems to be lasting.

I figured I would throw it in the hat because I really don't like the idea of plastidipping anything on my car, no offense to those that have done the whole thing. lol

lg_scg486.jpg

TenSpeed

Boss 227..every damn time
Reaction score
When you guys get sick and tired of trying stuff that doesn't work, or fades, and wasting money on stuff like the crap posted above, get a can of dip, and post back here, with pics, and go on and on about how you wish that you would have listened in the first place.

You cannot go wrong with this stuff.

UrbanBack.png

Center panel dipped. I have removed it twice, and redone it in black, and then white, then pulled it, and it is black again. It looks factory. It's a nice matte black. It's a wiper cowl. If you want to sell the car, peel it off, or leave it, and no one will know the difference.

superslow86

forum member
Reaction score
Just prevent it from fading with Ultima tire and trim guard or Chemical guys VRP or Blue Guard. Ultima is good stuff and lasts for a decent amount of time. It can be used on all the trim, mirrors, under the hood and tires. It is nothing like back to black which is crap.

PS: That rear deck lid does look good. It it crazy how easily that back panel scratches. I may have to try that. Did you tape off the faux cap or just spray the panel and cap at the same time?

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I didn't tape anything on the rear panel off. Sprayed the whole thing. Once it is completely dry, you can go back and just peel the chrome ring off, or the center part so the GT stays chrome. Currently, it is blacked out except for the chrome ring. Looks nice against the white. The back panel is stupid. It should be color match painted to the car, and not be a separate panel. It scratches and shows swirl marks and fingerprints really easily. Took care of that. Get. Some. Dip!!!!!

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Dip it! I was talking to a guy last month at Cars and Coffee and he was talking about how much he hated plasti-dip and thought it was retarded why people used it on their cars. The only funny part was that he complimented my car and said it looks great...little did he know I have my chin spoiler, CDC rear decklid panel, wiper cowl and the little strips on the top of the roof dipped. If you do it right the dip looks way better than the plastic fresh out the factory and better than any "back to black" type crap and you never have to worry about it again.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
^ this!!! Post pics for proof! I cannot praise this stuff enough. If done correctly, and tastefully, it looks absolutely killer. The matte orange Civic with bright green wheels does not. It's all in what you do with it.

BlackCDCStang

forum member
Reaction score
Here is a pic of the CDC decklid plasti-dipped for over 6 months now and the only thing I have ever done to it was spray off the dirt at a car wash so it’s basically maintenance free as compared to it being bare plastic I had to constantly apply some type of back to black product on it and it was always inconsistent looking and attracted dirt like crazy!

TenSpeed

Reaction score
Thanks. Just adds to the legitimacy of this product. Looks really good.

TenSpeed

Reaction score
I have never gotten wax on it. I don't know to be honest. If you do dip it, I would probably be careful with it? If it does ruin it, peel it off, and redo it. That is one of the best things about the dip. If done correctly, it should just peel off in one piece.

Higgy

forum member
Reaction score
Tooth brush, dish soap and a gentle scrub should take care of any wax on the dip. This is how I have always cleaned wax off black plastic. Should be no different for the dip.

Last edited:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
IMO most of those dressings do more harm than good when you consider the long term effects. If you're trading the car in 3 years then it doesn't matter, but on a 10 year old vehicle you can always tell the people who used plastic trim dressing every month when the car was new.

I'm sure the next three replies will be telling me how *this* product doesn't do that and I'm wrong. But I keep my vehicles for 10 years or more and I'll skip the crap that sucks the life out of the plastic trim.

Sounds like Plasti Dip would be an excellent option. I did the outer edge of my faux gas cap on the back of my car 2 years ago and it still looks good.

LOL, it really does just depend on the product you use... What products have you used that had issues?

Back