Wiping off dust/debris off black car

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
Is there anything I can use/do to wipe off the dust and debris off my car after it sits outside for a few hours while I'm at work? The car is garage kept and never sees rain or anything like that. It's always clean but gets dusty and what not since you know, it's black. Lol

Anything I can do to wipe it down without washing it all the time? Without scratching if course.

28ONE

Reaction score
Is there anything I can use/do to wipe off the dust and debris off my car after it sits outside for a few hours while I'm at work? The car is garage kept and never sees rain or anything like that. It's always clean but gets dusty and what not since you know, it's black. Lol

Anything I can do to wipe it down without washing it all the time? Without scratching if course.

Unfortunately, when it comes to black, anytime you touch the paint you run the risk of scratching. If its light dust, you can use a quick detailer with super soft microfiber towels. Or I like using this:

http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Ultima-Waterless-Wash-Plus+-22-oz-288p6243.htm#.U6D6tBa4n8s

I've come to accept no matter what I do, black attracts dust period!

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
Knew I shouldn't have gotten a black car : ( lol

Unfortunately, I work right next to a landscaping company so there is a lot of dust and shit flying around. It's such a pain.

I do work at a dealership though so I have access to compressed air. I never thought of that. Lol

I'm just really afraid of causing minor scratches if I wipe it down with my meguiars MF towels.

28ONE

Reaction score
Knew I shouldn't have gotten a black car : ( lol

Unfortunately, I work right next to a landscaping company so there is a lot of dust and shit flying around. It's such a pain.

I do work at a dealership though so I have access to compressed air. I never thought of that. Lol

I'm just really afraid of causing minor scratches if I wipe it down with my meguiars MF towels.

Is your ride a dd? Ime, applying a coating to a black dd has been the best thing I coulda done to protect my paint. After all, my GT is an 06 and imo looks pretty dam good!

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
Nope I only drive it on perfect days. I had it waxed when I first got it, which was like a month ago....needs to be waxed again. I'm sure that is more than enough to keep it safe. It's my baby and I might cry if I see a scratch! Lol

And yea, your car looks gorgeous in your sig pic!

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not sure what wax was used. I didn't do it. I had one of the guys at work do it for me. He does it for a lot of us and does great work.

What would you recommend?

AndrewS197

forum member
Reaction score
I will. It didn't seem to last very long. Less than a month. But I washed it quite a few times in between.

Holy shit, that stuff is expensive. Lol. I think if I just make sure my car is constantly waxed, I should be pretty good since it never sees any bad weather. I'm hoping, at least. She's a garage queen...

28ONE

Reaction score
Yeah man it can get crazy expensive chasing that gloss and shine! If its lasting a month, it may actually be a glaze. Waxes tend to last 3 months whereas sealant last about 6 months.

If you don't want to break the bank, try Meguiars #21 (Sealant) then over the top Meguiars #26 Liquid Wax....

MADGT

forum member
Reaction score
I use a California Duster to get rid of the dust particles, the a detail spray to finish it off.

V8 Vol

El Jefe
Reaction score
Everything I have read and watched says to stay far away from dusters. Just use some quick detail spray and microfiber with light straight wiping motion.

Gremlin85

forum member
Reaction score
I've used a can of compressed air (keyboard duster/electronic duster) to blow off some dust from my car from time to time. Sometimes works, sometimes don't. All depends on the dust and severity.

HitandRunDriver

Amateur Goon
Reaction score
And static/humidity are big factors too, along with the region where you live. My commute to work is 5 minutes long and even without other trips or errands there's still a layer of dust on my car that prompts a nightly quick detail if I have the time. I live in southern california eg. an irrigated desert and the dust has been worse due to the drought and lack of rain the past few years to clean the roads. Compressed air hasn't worked for me. I've tried some supposedly anti static quick detailers like FK-425 and CG Hybrid V7 and they might do an ok job but I can't tell anymore.

claudermilk

Reaction score
Yeah, the dust around here is ridiculous the past few years. I've also seen that FK425 didn't do much. I just threw some Blacklight & V7 on and it seemed to help a little...but only a little.

00blkvert

forum member
Reaction score
To go along with 28ONE don't use a duster they can kill your paint. I like black light but it is definitely not my go to product. It has fillers which hide defects but also has little durability.

If you want to step away from a wax I would give sonax polymer net shield a go. It's a sealant but acts as coating except on the durability department. It's 6+ months vs 1 yr+ depending on which coating. http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/SONAX-Polymer-Net-Shield-210-ml-46p6397.htm

I also agree with 28ONE with UWW+ but I would get the concentrate vs the pre made spray. This is the big container. He does carry a smaller one but may have to call.
http://www.autoality.com/store/pc/Ultima-Detail-Spray-Plus-128-oz-36p6708.htm

Also pick up some quality MF towels this will also help reduce scratch in due to the long side of the MF lifting the dirt.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back