With the 2013 block

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Its still a crap cast piston, Its like putting a pig in a dress, its still a pig.

i would compare it more to a fatter pig...the fatter the pig the better it is.

The small stuff can make a huge difference. If you research about the new coating on the piston it works quite well (study of a torch being put on both pistons). I havent found any info on the gas relief groove yet. Plus its MORE than just crap cast :thumb:

WhiteStang

Reaction score
What is the big deal if it does or does not have squirters in it, a little more oil pressure to the cam and crank bearings? Has anyone been burning up bearings or cams other then broken oil pump gears?

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What is the big deal if it does or does not have squirters in it, a little more oil pressure to the cam and crank bearings? Has anyone been burning up bearings or cams other then broken oil pump gears?

Squirters increase windage, which hurts fuel economy and power production, especially at higher RPMs. It also slightly adds to oil consumption because there are more vapors in the crankcase.

Grimace427

Hellhound
Reaction score
Squirters increase windage, which hurts fuel economy and power production, especially at higher RPMs. It also slightly adds to oil consumption because there are more vapors in the crankcase.

That shouldn't be a problem only for the 5.0 coyote when so many other engines(high performance ones at that) have them without issue.

M3 V8
every AMG engine(every Mercedes engine, even grocery getters)
every exotic

The oil consumption theory is not verified. Mine has never used a drop of oil in it's entire life. Can't say if every single Boss roadrunner engine is immune to oil consumption due to their lack of squirters.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
i would compare it more to a fatter pig...the fatter the pig the better it is.

The small stuff can make a huge difference. If you research about the new coating on the piston it works quite well (study of a torch being put on both pistons). I havent found any info on the gas relief groove yet. Plus its MORE than just crap cast :thumb:

It still a cast aluminum piston. Coating it isn't going to stop it from cracking.
I can't believe Ford didn't at least put the powder forged rods and forged pistons in the 5.0
Even if it cost another 3-400 dollars I'm sure everyone would agree it would have been worth it. Spend the money there insted if on a light that shows a pony when you open the door.

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
It still a cast aluminum piston. Coating it isn't going to stop it from cracking.
I can't believe Ford didn't at least put the powder forged rods and forged pistons in the 5.0
Even if it cost another 3-400 dollars I'm sure everyone would agree it would have been worth it. Spend the money there insted if on a light that shows a pony when you open the door.

with plenty of mustangs running 700+ hp with no problems how much more power do u want haha

rseantan

Reaction score
Scuba - Matt is 100% correct.

Fancy lights or forged pistons, seems like a no brainer to me.
Wished they put that on the option list.

Forged pistons - men check here X
Fancy lights -all others check here X:buttkick:

WhiteStang

Reaction score
I left mine in even with the forged pistons, It probally wouldent hurt to block them off but I wouldent loose any sleep over it. I agree a couple HP for windage but whats a couple HP if your already making 700-800...

Clipboard

forum member
Reaction score
Scuba - Matt is 100% correct.

Fancy lights or forged pistons, seems like a no brainer to me.
Wished they put that on the option list.

Forged pistons - men check here X
Fancy lights -all others check here X:buttkick:

Haha. I do agree with him up to a point. Who doesnt love forged internals. But thats what the boss 302 is for.

From a business standpoint there is alot of people that dont need the forged parts. As it being a customizeable option ,taking manu different varianles into aspect, they would ask for a fortune...vs making a car thay already has the option i.e. boss302

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That shouldn't be a problem only for the 5.0 coyote when so many other engines(high performance ones at that) have them without issue.

M3 V8
every AMG engine(every Mercedes engine, even grocery getters)
every exotic

The oil consumption theory is not verified. Mine has never used a drop of oil in it's entire life. Can't say if every single Boss roadrunner engine is immune to oil consumption due to their lack of squirters.

Mine never burns oil, either. But oil squirters increasing windage losses is a FACT, especially at higher RPMs, which is why they were eliminated from the BOSS Roadrunner block.

The removal of oil squirters is (according to Ford) why the 2013 GTs have slightly more horsepower. I'm quite curious about these 2013s that still seem to have them.

Sent from my toilet using Tapatalk.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back