Witnessed a bad crash

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
I am not naming the location of this event or the club that put it on so as not to upset anyone.

I was running an event last week on a 2 1/4 mile road course and the car right behind me (2007 Mustang GT I think) lost it at about 100 mph and crashed really hard into the front straight wall. I watched in my rear view mirror as I came out of the corner and accellerated. It was just like watching a NASCAR race rear view cam crash, very surrieal, smoke and bits of car flying around. Car is toast, rear quarter took a massive impact. Felt so bad for the old guy, was even his birthday.

Be safe out there fellas, shit can go bad in a flash.

Oh, he was okay. I spoke with him at the end of the day.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
I know they offer insurance for the HPDE events here, and it can get very nasty at MIR coming onto the front straight. If you try to go WOT before the car is pointed in the right direction, it will lose control and wreck.

One of my friends drives a Porsche 911, and had made this mistake. Wrecked 3 corners of the car from bouncing off the walls. Luckily he had track insurance on the car, and was able to get it repaired. He hasn't taken it back to a HPDE since then, and has mainly been running autocross's with the Porsche club recently (he is the regional Porsche club Autocross director).

Still, no one around here goes to an HPDE without some kind of extra insurance. Those who normally do are inexperienced, and end up totaling their cars.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
any word on what happened that caused the crash?

There is a bump on the truck coming onto the straight, better that it used to be. He has Tokico D spec like me but his were 1/4 turn from full hard from what he told me. I think they were too stiff and the car got light over the bump and the shocks didn't allow the tires to stay fully on the track and the rest is history.

Mine were 2 1/2 turns from full hard.

jayel579

forum member
Reaction score
Do they offer track insurance for events like that? Just curious.

Yes, they do.

http://www.locktonmotorsports.com/product/track-insurance/

I pay $225 per weekend. Worth the piece of mind to me.

Very true, I purchase it as well

Yep, I pay right at 280 per weekend with the same company. 38,500 agreed value with a 10% deductible. Very cheap considering what you may loose.

Agreed but if you do use it, it is a one time deal. Any of them are very hard pressed if not impossible to get insurance from a second time. So if you use it, make it worth it.

Apex50

forum member
Reaction score
Yes, they do.

Very true, I purchase it as well

Agreed but if you do use it, it is a one time deal. Any of them are very hard pressed if not impossible to get insurance from a second time. So if you use it, make it worth it.

They ask if you've filed more than one claim in the past three years when you apply- so you really get two awshits before game over. Ask me how I know... nah, don't want to talk about it.

Filing a claim and getting reimbursed are way less customer service friendly than a regular insurance company, but they aren't trying to find a loop hole to weasle out of it, either.

Like I said, piece of mind.

CAMELCAT

Reaction score
The good thing is that he is ok. Cars can be bought, fixed, trashed and a mix of all, but a life can't be brought back.

I think Lockton is the most used track insurance. I know Summit Point uses it for their HPDE driving. It's better to pay a little bit of $ than to be out a lot $ and no car.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
I have been debating on getting track day insurance or not. I have my first event in the Mustang this weekend at Atlanta Motor Speedway (I have done a few previous ones in my Miata, but want to take the Mustang to AMS). This thread is pushing me towards getting some.

5.0 Probie

forum member
Reaction score
The gratification of not needing it and having it is far superior to needing it and not having it...

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and got a one event policy with Lockton Affinity. With admin fees and tax it was $180. I guess it's worth it for the piece of mind. Pray to God that I don't have to use it.

Mike Rousch

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and got a one event policy with Lockton Affinity. With admin fees and tax it was $180. I guess it's worth it for the piece of mind. Pray to God that I don't have to use it.

Well if anything ever did you will be glad you have it! Have fun at the event:beer:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
"cagers" crack me up sometimes. Does anyone really think that wadding your car up is not on the table at a track day?

I've never gotten on the track without being prepared to crash. Maybe I'm just weird.:thumb:

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
"cagers" crack me up sometimes. Does anyone really think that wadding your car up is not on the table at a track day?

I've never gotten on the track without being prepared to crash. Maybe I'm just weird.:thumb:

What are "cagers"? Or is it a "who" are cagers? Are they dudes running around supporting cages?

Being "mentally prepared" is not the same as having your car prepared. I personally would love a cage. Everytime I see someone ball their car up I'm thinking "I should probably get a cage". I would also like a thermal imaging scope attached to a suppressed 300 Blackout, but hey.....everybody wants something.

cop on my back

forum member
Reaction score
Mentally prepared is huge. I was feeling rushed to get ready for the first session so I just parked first in line and sat there with my eyes closed and pictured the track in my mind. My girlfriend left me alone and I just chilled there with my helmet on. Once is was time to start the engine I felt much better and was in the "zone"

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
What are "cagers"? Or is it a "who" are cagers? Are they dudes running around supporting cages?

Being "mentally prepared" is not the same as having your car prepared. I personally would love a cage. Everytime I see someone ball their car up I'm thinking "I should probably get a cage". I would also like a thermal imaging scope attached to a suppressed 300 Blackout, but hey.....everybody wants something.

"Cagers" is a motorcyclist term for car drivers.:beerdrink:

I can't say that I am completely "prepared" as far as equipment goes. I need a Hans device, I should wear my fire suit all the time and I should have a fire system in my car.

But I have never tuned a wheel on the track without being mentally prepared to load my car/bike up with a shovel.

It may just be a culture thing. In the motorcycling community crashes and written off bikes are a non event. No one cares. It's expected. Hell, broken bones are a non event. The only time the "community" gets shaken is if someone is med-flighted out or dead.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back