WTB: OEM Block or Forged Shortblock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
I'm looking for one of two things for my engine rebuild. Been perusing the forums but hoping this thread turns something up.

I'm looking for either an OE 05-10 4.6L aluminum engine block or the same block, but with a forged rotating assembly.

Looking to do no more than $600 shipped for a block. I'm in Oklahoma and a shipping quote to any corner of the nation for just the block shouldn't be more than $125.

Price for the short block a assembly will obviously depend on components. Short blocks that need assembly are fine. Looking in the 2k-4k range right now.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
^ The FRPP Aluminator is $4600 shipped from Tousley. This was my top choice for a short block based on Ford Racing's reputation for honoring warranty issues. I know a guy who just got a FRPP engine replaced after spinning a rod bearing after about 350 passes at the race track. Every other engine builder will tell you to go pound sand even if you have a legitimate issue, almost nobody ever pays out on warranty claims.

The only reason I got the JDM 302E was because I purchased it second hand but still new in the crate. It was about $1100 cheaper than a new short block so I decided that was enough savings to justify losing any warranty.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Hard to really get a fix on this one though. MSRP is $5300 and they aren't even rated for anything. At least not that I've heard of

Ratings are overrated. They don't mean a thing unless destruction testing and random samples are done.

You might want to search any prospective motor companies reputation on the forum. No holds barred here, you will get the real scoop.

If you change your mind about having a stroker I still have a 4.6 longblock with new style heads, 11:1 compression Mahle pistons, h beam rods with arp2000 bolts, stock crank so you can use your 6 bolt flywheel, and a few other items on it for $2500. You arrange shipping. It has a few issues that don't affect performance. Things like a thread insert in the crank, 25,000 miles with about 10,000 of that boosted. It ran fantastic when I pulled it a month ago.

rayS197

Reaction score
Correct. Mine was $4600 shipped to my friends shop. For under $4800 I purchased the block, head kit and the steel tensioners. To get a better understanding about the SB and for any questions. Call the Ford Racing 1-800 # and ask for Ray. And no thats not me. :crazy:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
These mod motors love compression. My tuner specializes in twin screw blown modular motors and he prefers higher compression.

Dubstep Shep

WUB WUB VROOM VROOM
Reaction score
These mod motors love compression. My tuner specializes in twin screw blown modular motors and he prefers higher compression.

So how does motor compression compare with blower compression? I.e. If there's only so much of an overall compression ratio you can run, which offers more power? I imagine there's more too it than that lol. A lot more.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Lol you ran over an 11 compression ratio with boost? Brave man haha!

I ran 19psi with 10.76:1. Keep in mind that most of the posters on this site have experience with what they post about. It's a huge difference from sites where posters repeat what the cool kids say just to sound cool.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
As several owners have proven here on this forum, these motors can handle 22-24 lbs of boost or more. How big of a blower do you own and how much boost does it make? A higher compression motor will make more power both on and off boost. Proper tuning and good fuel will take care of the detonation concerns. In my case, my blower can only make about 15-16 lbs of boost. I wish to maximize performance within that constraint because I'm not going to spend another 8K or more swapping blowers.

W3bb3r04

Slow 3v Member
Reaction score
I ran 19psi with 10.76:1. Keep in mind that most of the posters on this site have experience with what they post about. It's a huge difference from sites where posters repeat what the cool kids say just to sound cool.

Was that on pump gas though?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back