XXR 521's

2012Coyote

Fuggit.
Reaction score
Alright, I finally got my 16x8's in.

XXR-10_zps857d3dae.jpg

They fit very well and are very lightweight.

XXR-12_zpsbe93ed15.jpg

(Yep, still dirty)
XXR-11_zps9bbef40d.jpg

They have a +20mm offset, and sit hellaflush :crazy: The problem is, I'm not sure if the footprint will be too wide and stick out past the wheel well and rub when I launch. This video is of last year with the Nitto NT555R 305/35R18, which turn out to be just over 26" tall. You can see how much it squats.

The tires I bought are the MT ET Street DR II's, 295/50R16, which are 27.6" Tall on an 8" wide rim, which will have between a .5 and .75" more height closer to the wheel well.

Luckily, a friend of mine had the exact tire in the exact same size and are in no way the ones I bought from Summit.

XXR-13_zpsa6991727.jpg

XXR-14_zpsbe614f87.jpg

I mounted one on a rim here at work to test fit on the car to see how much they stick out.

If they don't fit right I can return my two, (since mine were never mounted and this on is my friend's) and pick up the ET Street Bias Ply 28x11.5, which only have an 8.70" footprint instead of 11+":

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-3796/overview/

I put the one on during lunch to test fit. What do you think? Should I keep the ones I got or should I switch?

IMG_3627_zps0dc9e110.jpg

IMG_3634_zps209b6794.jpg

IMG_3628_zps18f64d06.jpg

IMG_3631_zps56a529e3.jpg

IMG_3633_zps032845c7.jpg

Feedback is appreciated.

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
Dude, those look great, but based on your video, and how much your car squats on launch, I see major wheel rub in your future with that set up. I think the ET street bias plys would probably work better, but it's kinda hard to tell until you actually mount them up.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Ive had 521's on for a a cpl years now, 245-40 on 8.5 front, 275-40 rear on 10.5 rear, only rubs ever so slightly (cant feel it but leaves rubber) when autocross racing.

DSC03437.jpg

dougie b

Reaction score
wow that wheel setup for the rear looks great! have you tried to see if the 16x8 would fit up front?

2012Coyote

Fuggit.
Reaction score
wow that wheel setup for the rear looks great! have you tried to see if the 16x8 would fit up front?

Thanks man. They won't fit around the Brembo's. Not sure about the standard brakes though. I'd need at least 17's to clear my front brakes.

2012Coyote

Fuggit.
Reaction score
Any updates on it?

Yessir. The wheels fit great and run real smooth. I love the look of them. With the spacers on the front, the tires do rub but only clear at the lock. So rubbing isn't an issue. Street driving or on the track, if you are at the lock, rubbing your tire on the plastic wheel well lining is the least of your worries lol

I put the drag wheels on and did a couple small launches with the gopro facing the back wheel. Even under full Compression, I still have about an inch of clearance, so it's all good. I'm looking forward to warmer weather to try them out for real.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Can you get some full shots all around with the 20's on? I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking at a 20" square setup either concave or lip like this.

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
I know right now I'm leaning towards 18's in the same rim. I've ben trying to do the math with various offset calculators based against what I'm currently running. So far, with the 18's (and I have a feeling that the 18's and 20's stick out the same amount), compared to my 19x9.5's +35, which run right up to the edge of the wheel well, the 18x10 +25 will stick out .6"/15.24mm. I'm trying to get in touch with Shark Tails to see if he could actually measure it for me (his mailbox is full).

Makdaddy

I am Dysfunctional
Reaction score
I know right now I'm leaning towards 18's in the same rim. I've ben trying to do the math with various offset calculators based against what I'm currently running. So far, with the 18's (and I have a feeling that the 18's and 20's stick out the same amount), compared to my 19x9.5's +35, which run right up to the edge of the wheel well, the 18x10 +25 will stick out .6"/15.24mm. I'm trying to get in touch with Shark Tails to see if he could actually measure it for me (his mailbox is full).

have you guys tried this site to compare offsets and the relationship to your car? Works well

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

mfergel

forum member
Reaction score
have you guys tried this site to compare offsets and the relationship to your car? Works well

http://www.rimsntires.com/specs.jsp

Yeah. That's the primary one I was using to come up with my numbers but a few MM off can make a big difference in the end. Right now, with my current setup (SVE Drift 19x9.5 with 285/35's) the widest part of the tire actually sticks out about 7mm. The outer diameter of the tire still sits inside the wheel well. It looks acceptable, but even at that size/offset, to look 'clean' I should probably be running a 275/40 simply to eliminate some of the tire bulge that sits outside the wheel well (but the rim itself is absolutely flush with the edge of the wheel well) If my measurements are correct, the rim on the XXR itself is going to sit outside the wheel well just over 15mm. That means, and we've seen it on several of these cars, in order to get that tire to roll back under the wheel well we have to do a bit of stretching. I've checked locally and found a shop that will shave 3-5mm off the rear hub for me. Right now, they are saying without seeing the rim that I'd be looking at $60-$100 a rim. But even if they shave off 5mm, that is still leaving 10mm outside the wheel well.

My other thought has been to just buy two of the 18x8.5's, mount tires and just put them on one side of the car to see how it looks. Maybe just run 4 of those around the car, which would work. I don't think it's going to look as 'massive' without that 10" deep dish on back though and ultimately, there is something to be said for a wider wheel. I'd be fine without a 10" but 9.5" would be nice.

The other thing I'm looking at as a possibility to 'hide' the fact that so much rim/tire would sit outside the wheel well is these small fender flares/lips. It's still going to require that the wheel roll into the wheel well but might hide it (or make it more obvious). They come in 5mm, 10mm and 20mm.

jp_wide_flare_Fender%20moles%20005.JPG

jp_wide_flare_f2.jpg

Ultimately, I love this look. How to achieve it without too much rim sticking out is the problem.

http://www.s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=768318&postcount=612

IMG_7781.jpg

IMG_7913.jpg

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back