YES.....No Crank Thread....

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Alright so I just finished my wire tuck...no coolant in car yet waiting on the rest of my 07 conversion...I just wanted to hear car turn over so I tried...nothing..no clicking no nothing...everything turns on..lights.horn.gauges..fans..all turn on. Checked battery..its at 12.43 volts now. Checked for power at starter. It has it. Took starter off and had it tested, they said it passed. Replaced starter relay just because. I hear fuel pump I hear everything click when I try.. Just no starter. I'm done for the night but I will recheck my grounds and just give everything a once over again.
Thanks for any input guys. I have more things to check but if anyone has more things for me to check that would be great thanks. And I didn't want to post this in tech because I don't feel worthy!!

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Manual or auto? I would check the grounds next like you said...do you have anything to check for any faults with?

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Manual..all I have is a volt meter and a relay/fuse tester.. yes I depressed the clutch before trying to start..I thought of that to..doesn't hurt to second guess myself

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Check whatever wire the ignition is on.

Redline727

"I wanna go fast!"
Reaction score
Manual..all I have is a volt meter and a relay/fuse tester.. yes I depressed the clutch before trying to start..I thought of that to..doesn't hurt to second guess myself
I was thinking more along the lines of something wrong with the safety switch. Not you forgetting to push in the clutch lol. I would still check all grounds first though. Then try bridging the solenoid to see if the starter turns the engine over. Make sure it's in neutral with parking brake on first though! If it starts that way then check the wiring to the safety switch, the switch itself and any applicable fuses.

Last edited:

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Yeah. I will check the switch tomarrow and trace line tomarrow

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Should try posting this in tech where all of the tech hawks hang out - might get some better responses.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Alright not much time spent on the problem but checked off a few things.
Checked contact points on all ground lines..at least the ones I moved..
Disconnected the positive cable on battery a attached my low voltage tester to the pos. Term and touched the pos. Battery post. It lights up. So since nothing was on in vehicle.no lights ect. From what I've been reading that means I have a short somewhere. Ok so had my wife hold the light wile it was touching and lit up, and took every fuse and relay out one by one to see if i can pinpoint the short. No luck light stayed on threw the entire fuse check. I took out every fuse In the box and the passage kick panel. Light stayed lit threw out ! Hum..I'm going over the wire again when I have time.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I think it would be easier to swap in a carbed windsor with a 1 wire alternator rather than getting a wire tuck done easily and correctly.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score

So I bridged the starter..it spins but engine doesn't turn over so I'm guessing it's not on the flywheel. Though the two black spots are the contact points. Arcing like a firecracker..so. should it arc when it's grounded properly? Seems like this should be grounded with a strand.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
Uhhh... those are positive terminals.

If you just jump those you may not engage the solenoid (I've never fooled around with the starter on my S197.) It needs to push the drive ahead so the gear engages the flywheel. Without it pushed ahead the motor will just freewheel as you experienced.

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Yeah I may be doing it wrong but u bridge from one pos to case right and see if it turns over..I tried both and al I get is the spinning sound and no crank movement..I'll pull it out tonight to inspect again..quite possible I f**ck** it up when reinstalling it. Oh well that's y I love working on this car..trial and error

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score

So I do not have a wire to connect to this thread.. I bridge the positive to this thread and the starter kicks in..so my question is do I have a wire somewhere that I need to find and connect to this part of the silinoid?

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
EPSON001%20Large_zpsbqtvzg15.jpg

EPSON002%20Large_zpskpkszon1.jpg

richman

WTF!!! AGAIN AMERICA?
Reaction score
Thank you....seems like #3 is what I'm missing..time to look. I appriciate it a lot

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back