Yet another slow Airlift install

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
I just received my Airlift kit from bagridders over the weekend. I ended up going with a 2.5 gallon tank with a 444c compressor so I can mount everything in the spare tire well. I use the trunk too much to mount it anywhere else(hockey bag, golf bag, kids RC stuff). The car is in storage for the cold midwest winter so I will not get much done until it gets warmer out. I am also waiting on my supporting suspension mods from BMR which should be here next week sometime. I am still going back and forth on if I should get a second compressor before spring. Jeremy, what are your thoughts on the current setup I have? Will a single 444c be enough for a 2.5 gallon tank or should I just grab a second 444c? Would dual 444c's be overkill for a 2.5 gallon tank?

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I have a single pump on the 2.5 gallon tank. It hasn't been an issue. It does turn on every time I go from completely aired out back to normal ride height, but I don't air out every time I park, and the pump doesn't run very long.

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new Air Lift Performance kit, you are going to love it!

When I did my winter install last year it seemed like everyone was talking about adding a second compressor so I added one before actually using the system. Therefore, I cannot comment on the performance of a 2.5 gallon tank with one VIAIR 380C compressor. I am very happy with the dual compressor configuration I have. One has to assume dual compressors would functioning approximately half the time of a single compressor. Also I am very happy with the trunk tire well install since with the carpet back down you will never visually know the system is there.

My recommendation to you is go with a single compressor to see how you like it but make sure you configure your layout to accommodate a second compressor in future. Other than the layout the only additional issue would be supplying the power feed directly from the battery to the second compressor. You may want to consider running a second set of 10 gauge power and ground wires when you do your initial install to save time (assuming your battery is in the OEM location and not relocated to the trunk) if you decide to add a second compressor later.

In terms of compressor comparison your 444C is a little more powerful than a 380C:

380C – 200 PSI / 1.34 CFM
444C – 200 PSI / 1.76 CFM

Tire well layout – polished 2.5 gallon tank, two 380C compressors, three SMC ¼” water traps, manifold, and dual wiring harness.

Carpet down.

Since I was recovering from hip replacement surgery when I did my install I spent more time taking pictures than actually working on the car. There is a great deal of information in my install thread.

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I have read through both of your install threads many times. lol. Seeing both of your setups is the main reason I went with the 2.5 gallon tank, knowing it can all fit into the tire well. I need to get under the car again when I get to the storage unit just to double check to make sure I have room under the tire well to drill holes.

Sharad, Since your 11 is closer to my 14, did you have any clearance issues with mounting/ drilling holes in the spare tire well?

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Sharad, Since your 11 is closer to my 14, did you have any clearance issues with mounting/ drilling holes in the spare tire well?

All I can say is I spent hours checking and double checking everything. I think there could have been interference issues if this part was a 1/4" this way or that part was a 1/4" that way...

The only thing which really sticks out in my head was when I was trying to avoid drilling into that black plastic cover underneath the spare tire well. I think it's a cover for the EVAP system or something? That was one of those measure ten times and a drill once situations.

Basically what I'm saying is everything cleared nicely where it is currently in my car. The only thing I'd consider changing is adding another pump, but I simply haven't had a need for it. It works great as it is. I've thought about buying a second pump and just keeping it in my garage in case I have any issues in the future.

EDIT- if you want close up pics of anything, PM me and I'll give you my cell phone number.

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
Ok cool. I appreciate the help. I will just take my time and measure multiple times before I drill

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
I think I am going to order a second pump here in the next couple of weeks. It isn't so much that I think I will really need it but it will be more of a piece of mind thing if one goes out. I would rather have something I dont really need than need something I dont have.

Are you both running 1/4" air line?

Scott

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think I am going to order a second pump here in the next couple of weeks. It isn't so much that I think I will really need it but it will be more of a piece of mind thing if one goes out. I would rather have something I dont really need than need something I dont have.

Are you both running 1/4" air line?

Yes, 1/4" lines in my install.

Ingwe

Sun, Sea, Sand and Camels
Reaction score
Bear in mind the heat the compressors generate. I'll be going with 2 pumps like Scott just to keep the running time and therefore heat generated to a minimum. Especially if you plan to 'close off' the wheel well with the trunk carpet. May not be a big deal in Indiana but out here in the desert summer that's a big issue for me.

Looking forward to your progress.

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
The heat was another reason to go with 2 pumps. The wheel well will be "closed off" for the most part. I am trying to locate a second trunk carpet to mess with. I would like to keep it looking OEM as possible but build a way to open just the wheel well part without pulling up all of the carpet.

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
I have been thinking of picking up an over axle pipe to delete my resonators but have read some people have issues with them on lowered cars. Anyone on air have any experience with this?

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
right now the plan is to start installing everything this weekend. I can't freaking wait!

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
Im just waiting for a couple of fitting from airlift to be shipped. Install will happen either way as the fittings are just for a second water trap

junkyard08

forum member
Reaction score
So I got a lot done today but not everything. The rear is completely done including lower control arms, relo brackets and Panhard with relo and the UCA. Tank and manifold are mounted as well. Going to finish the rest tomorrow. Sorry for the lack of pics, I get too focused on installing shit and forget to take them. Lol

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back