Yikes!!! little cams did help

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
from your mph and my mph of 109 (your 110) they do make the power...you also have to consider a lot too tire size, type, suspension and all that crap...terry for an auto 108.xx is good..what was yoru previous best mph? All im saying is the power with the NSR cams are there...its fine tuning a setup to get the ET we all want...i ran a 12.61 with a 1.8 60' at 109mph...my stiff wall (POS) M&H's are 28" tall and i wasn't able to launch it over 4K cuz of spin...even with the tires at 14psi. If i could get the 60' down to say 1.65 with the MT ET streets 26x11.5x15 that im going to get...then were talkin easy low 12's...so its there just a matter of what your setup is and what weather is like at the track...and the track itself. I always run slower at the track i was at compared to Rockingham...

Next week i will be getting on the dyno to see if Fastlane can get more out of the tune i already have...and i can almost gurantee they will be able to because i had skinnies and the PS delete belt and i was at 109mph i should have been around 111 or 112 with everything done...so im thinking a custom dyno tune will be in order..

Though im waiting till matt d gets on the dyno with the new 101 mm intake from JLT to see if he gains anything..then go from there

You know its funny you mention a 101 mm intake. I ran an airaid for 2 yrs and it was a GREAT intake, but several said it was too big and now JLT is coming out with one. Think I will stick my Airaid back on for next sunday and see what happens. Oh if yo are a stick, don't look for too much improvement with the p/s delete. There have been several who didn't see the same improvement I did having an automatic. So don't be disappointed if you don't get the gains you are expecting........just FYI from what I heard from a few guys that have sticks.

Take care buddy

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
You know its funny you mention a 101 mm intake. I ran an airaid for 2 yrs and it was a GREAT intake, but several said it was too big and now JLT is coming out with one. Think I will stick my Airaid back on for next sunday and see what happens. Oh if yo are a stick, don't look for too much improvement with the p/s delete. There have been several who didn't see the same improvement I did having an automatic. So don't be disappointed if you don't get the gains you are expecting........just FYI from what I heard from a few guys that have sticks.

Take care buddy

you say that but matt and a few others sure saw a improvement with the short belt. i noticed last time i was at the track that i jerk the steering wheel pretty good so i will try the short belt next time.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you say that but matt and a few others sure saw a improvement with the short belt. i noticed last time i was at the track that i jerk the steering wheel pretty good so i will try the short belt next time.

look for a chance of performance gains for only $28, I was on it like stink on shit....lmao. I got about .15 off my time. I was just saying that some guys that go to the track I do (1/8 mile) didn't have the success that I did and the difference was stick and auto. I hope you get the same results I did, cheapest hp around........lol

jroc07gt

its orange not yellow!!
Reaction score
i would think it would help stick guys more cuz a lot of people jerk the wheel when they shift

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i would think it would help stick guys more cuz a lot of people jerk the wheel when they shift

My eason is purely for the performance gains, when N/A every little bit helps......:beer:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
Help me understand the point you are trying to make....are you saying I got NSR cams because I am a bad driver and need a crutch? and no I wasn't anywhere near 12.5, 12.721 on a low 60 degree day is a far cry from 12.504 on a mid 70 degree day. Have you not noticed how much better your car runs on a cooler day, so if I can make the same power when its not cooler, I say there has been some performance gains. Having an auto with no t/c I don't see where suspension mods would give me .2+ drop in my 1/4 mile et.

I am open to suggestions so let me know what you have in mind, other than I t/c converter cause I already know that.

Thanks,
Terry

No. I'm saying your a good driver. What I was saying is that the added power may help those who aren't as experienced behind the wheel. :beer: 12.5 is respectful no matter how you look at it.

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
most of the benefit will come from tuning the vtc im sure

as he said...the tuning will be done in the VCT..which isn't fun for tuners from what i hear...

but for some reason i have a feeling my brenspeed tune is off on the a/f ratio...who knows tho

Last edited:

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
to Tell you the Truth, I lost 4 tenths and 4 mph with the 127200 NSR Cams. I have been working with Dyno Tuners and Doug on Fixing the issue and there is no Fix. NSR CAMS are not worth it Period.

The Car will not get out of the hole until 4000 RPM, I stall upto 3000 and the car will not really start moving until 4K, it's Depressing, Before Cams I was able to Cut 1.69 60' and run 12.299 @ 110 mph My Average times were 12.35 @ 109 and 1.7 60'

With Cams I can't get better than a 1.89 60' and 12.7 @ 105
I plan on pulling the cams out this winter and replace with the stockers.
Strange thing is that I picked up 30 hp and 13 Tq with cams but they are worthless at the track.

Get NSR Cams for Sound if you race go SPR's and lockouts.

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
to Tell you the Truth, I lost 4 tenths and 4 mph with the 127200 NSR Cams. I have been working with Dyno Tuners and Doug on Fixing the issue and there is no Fix. NSR CAMS are not worth it Period.

The Car will not get out of the hole until 4000 RPM, I stall upto 3000 and the car will not really start moving until 4K, it's Depressing, Before Cams I was able to Cut 1.69 60' and run 12.299 @ 110 mph My Average times were 12.35 @ 109 and 1.7 60'

With Cams I can't get better than a 1.89 60' and 12.7 @ 105
I plan on pulling the cams out this winter and replace with the stockers.
Strange thing is that I picked up 30 hp and 13 Tq with cams but they are worthless at the track.

Get NSR Cams for Sound if you race go SPR's and lockouts.

Maybe for an auto... My comp NSR cams work very well at the track. Trap of 112 ussualy

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe for an auto... My comp NSR cams work very well at the track. Trap of 112 ussualy

As we all know there are those factory freaks and I guess you got one....my hats off to you.

When you say "full bolt ons" is that like alum d/s, all the suspension stuff. Everything you can buy and bolt on?

As you can see my bolt on list is fairly short, so I feel pretty good about the times and traps I am getting. There are a few other things I would like to add, such as alum d/s and get my t/c installed.......which will be soon

Last edited:

bluebloodbundy

Reaction score
The cams raise the power band upwards of 3000 rpm so launching at 1800-2000 is going to negate any power gains and will not show much improvement at the track.On an auto car ,unless you run a stall to get the car in its powerband, the gains may not be worth the expense (track gains) but on a stick car if your et doesn't improve then a driver mod may be required.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The cams raise the power band upwards of 3000 rpm so launching at 1800-2000 is going to negate any power gains and will not show much improvement at the track.On an auto car ,unless you run a stall to get the car in its powerband, the gains may not be worth the expense (track gains) but on a stick car if your et doesn't improve then a driver mod may be required.

ummmmm okay:thanks1:

ShadyZealot

forum member
Reaction score
I mean all power mod bolt ons. Except for a TB as i heard they are just about useless.

As for suspension i have cobra jet springs but thats it. everything else is bone stock.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I mean all power mod bolt ons. Except for a TB as i heard they are just about useless.

As for suspension i have cobra jet springs but thats it. everything else is bone stock.

can you list your power mods

chad05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
terry... I dont see those cams being much different than hot rods, nsr's, nor 127300's.

Just take a little getting used to... getting mad and trying to break things usually yields a good run! LOL!

FWIW, I ran the same w/ my cams as w/ stockers for first several track sessions; and I had heads too! Few more, knocked .25, then, by just adding CJ springs, another .2....

It just takes time... remember... THIS is the FUN part! Remember how frustrating it was constantly hitting the plateau w/ stock cams???? Well, thats over... get to work and find the new sweet spot!

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
terry... I dont see those cams being much different than hot rods, nsr's, nor 127300's.

Just take a little getting used to... getting mad and trying to break things usually yields a good run! LOL!

FWIW, I ran the same w/ my cams as w/ stockers for first several track sessions; and I had heads too! Few more, knocked .25, then, by just adding CJ springs, another .2....

It just takes time... remember... THIS is the FUN part! Remember how frustrating it was constantly hitting the plateau w/ stock cams???? Well, thats over... get to work and find the new sweet spot!

Au contraire my friend, I am by no means mad...lol. I was a little disapponted at the 1/8, but not after 1/4 mile. I have also found a few new things, raised my rev limiter to 7k, set shift points to 6.7k. Have found out that the power has moved up the rpm range a bit and actually feels like it pulls on up to 6.5k or a bit more. But thats just the butt dyno. WIll do some pulls next week to find out exactly where I am and what's happening with a/f.
will also get them to data log my injector duty cycle is at. I have an older lap top that I thought would still boot up......not so. and my new laptop is 64 bit and live link won't run 64 bit.....Oh well will just wait til next week and see what's happnin

dragpac

forum member
Reaction score
whats your gear ratio? these cars need a lot of gear for dragracing since they have no tq&hp for the weight of the car.

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
whats your gear ratio? these cars need a lot of gear for dragracing since they have no tq&hp for the weight of the car.

OOps forgot to list that in my sig........they are 4.10's

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back