You are subscribed to this thread got a phone call from the craptastic dealer that

Xorak

forum member
Reaction score
backstory: i've had my 2010 GT for a little over a year. when i bought it last year, they couldn't find the 2nd key that went with my car, so they agreed to cut a new key and program it. this was done with the understanding that they would be using the method that erases all keys in memory and reprogram only the current 2 keys (so that if the other key ever surfaced it would only work in the lock cylinder).

fast forward to this morning... i get a call from a new salesman at the stealership and he informs me that he was going through a key box and found some old keys and one of them goes to my car. he let me know i could drop by and pick it up at any time, so i went and got it on my lunch break. i dropped by the house on the way back to work to see if the key works, and what do you know, i open the garage, hit "unlock" and see my tail lights come on. yep, it also started the car with no problems.

so on the positive side, i've got a spare key now that didn't cost me anything. i'm also glad that some bored salesman was kind enough to match up the old key with my name/phone number instead of some undesirable character getting it and using it to steal my car.

KJGT

forum member
Reaction score
It would have been nice if they erased all the programming and started over with the keys so that one didnt work but it IS a car dealer lol.

In the big picture keys only keep honest people from stealing your stuff. I wonder how many people that buy a new house realize that probably 50 people between the realtor and contractors had keys to your house in their possession and could have easily copied it :)

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Nice they called you. I got one key, dealer wouldn't help me out on the second one but my car was used. I went to DMV and changed the plates in case mr original owner saw his old car somewhere and still had the key.

You buy a house house, first thing you do is change all the locks......I did.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back