Young Punk Build Volume IV - The game needs change & I'm the mother *@#%en cashier

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Do you trust the OEM pistons and rods to last at those levels?

BTW, your sig line...
I couldn't have said it better myself!

:thumb2:

I beleive so. Looking at what I put my 3 valve tooth brush rods through.... I have much faith in the new bigger rods :roflmao:

95ragtop

forum member
Reaction score
Nice work man. Not sure if you know Rob Williams, but he tuned my car and we were bs-ing about 3Vs and I mentioned what you've done and he was blown away.

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
I don't think I'd do it.... Too much trouble swapping out hood decals... lol

Looks great!!! Dammit I wish I had a lift!

RetroGT2006

06 S197 Member
Reaction score
Gonna be an awesome setup!!! Keep us posted Matt. Man i wish i could grab one of these!

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He might have some friendly competition for that #1 spot! :beer:

Hope you have more planned then just that amazing DA ;P

Would like nothing better then that. #1 is so much sweeter when you have to work hard for it. Good luck to both of you---and whomever else is out there.....

The gontlant has been layed :roflmao:

Nice work man. Not sure if you know Rob Williams, but he tuned my car and we were bs-ing about 3Vs and I mentioned what you've done and he was blown away.

Seems like ive been doing something right then :p What's his shop called?

I don't think I'd do it.... Too much trouble swapping out hood decals... lol

Looks great!!! Dammit I wish I had a lift!

Tell me about it... Still don't have the new ones -_-

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok.... So I wake up this morning and grab my double double like always. On the way to the shop I thought "hey let's get the valve covers back on the 5.0 and go from there"

Almost forgot to take a shot of the cams while the covers were off :p

DSC03935.jpg

Took the tape off, put the gaskets back in and bolted the Valve covers back on.

DSC03937.jpg

Coil packs all back in, put the harness's back on, Slapped the coil pack covers on along with the intake cover to take a look.

DSC03938.jpg

DSC03939.jpg

Time for some Jam :p Kooks 1 3/4 long tubes. They even say "Coyete" laser engraved on the flanges.

DSC03940.jpg

Comparision to stock header

DSC03941.jpg

I keep the original beefy header studs and stock gaskets. Always throw some copper sealer on for good measure. Also put the heat tape deal back on each cover. ( I slowly peeled them off before paint and stuck them back on with out problems)

DSC03942.jpg

BAM :omfg: Bolted the motor mounts off my old 3 valve motor onto the new 5.0 with no issues what so ever :) The headers fit like a dream of course and I didn't have to even cut any of the factory header studs. Also put on my ford racing oil cap :p

DSC03945.jpg

So I unwrapped the new computer that came in my control kit. Part number on the side had the computer code on the other.

DSC03946.jpg

New and old computer side by side, New computer weighing in at .5 lbs less because it's half plastic :roflmao: Removed the computer bracket aswell, cleaned all the dirt that was there.

DSC03947.jpg

New computer slides right back into place no issues.

DSC03949.jpg

DSC03950.jpg

Openned the alternator kit and bolted it on along with the tensioner (it comes with a belt aswell)

DSC03943.jpg

DSC03951.jpg

Took my fittings / Autometer oil sending unit off the old motor and installed it on the 5.0. (used for the oil pressure gauge) Still keeping the stock sensor working aswell.

DSC03952.jpg

The Alternator kit didn't come with the wire....... Unfortently it's way further then before. I called ford to just buy a new 2011 one to save the trouble thinking it might only be $20... but apparently you have to buy the whole harness netting over $200 -_- so I removed it off the old motor, had to drill the tab out a bit to fit and grab a new nut. Thr connector is the exact same the only thing needed is to be extended (not shown here)

DSC03953.jpg

On the back of the Driver side head (on the 3 valve) is a stud that the ground strap bolts too. Again... took this off the old motor and put it on the new 5.0 problem free.

DSC03954.jpg

Last edited:

RedFire07GT

11sec N/A 3V
Reaction score
Re: Young Punk Build Volume IV - The game needs change & I'm the mother *@#%en

Everything is coming together really fast Matt, very nice job man!

Sent from my Droid

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Let me start off by saying... when doing a big or decent size build the main key (other then running out of money) is to not loose motivation! I needed to see that 5.0 motor in to keep me pumped up :roflmao:

Bolted the race craft k-member kit back up onto the motor mounts

DSC03955.jpg

This part made my day.... Hell yes! It fit's perfect, I actually measured the 3 valve width (valve cover to vavle cover) then did the same for the 5.0 and they are the same. So no issues on fitment here guys (I already knew there wouldn't be but it's just nice to see reality)

DSC03956-1.jpg

Everything still hanging

DSC03957-1.jpg

Bolted the A-arms back up

DSC03958-1.jpg

Ok so now after I was all fired up, I went back to the rear and got back onto the fuel system. Grabbed my -8 Straight, -8 Cap and -8 45 degree, & -10 to -8 reducer (off the filter) with my classic line and made it happen

DSC03959.jpg

Pic from up top showing how the cell sits inside

DSC03960.jpg

spyder7724

Reaction score
You should have no problem getting that #1 spot. Plus I'm done chasing records. I know I can't keep up with 4 valve motors and I just don't want to cut mine up (thats what it would take for me) also some reoccurring serious health issues of late have me considering other options anyway.

I'll be one of you biggest cheerleaders....I damn sure hope you do get in the 9's NA....even if it is a 4valve :)....but why go with the 5.0 why not just build a 5.4 4valve NA motor and stick the 5.0's plastic intake cover on...99% won't know the difference.
anyway good luck

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok.. so like I mentioned earlier in the thread, I want to make an alum piece to clean up the look under the rear of the car. Grabbed some card board and slapped it in the trunk. Raised the car and with a marker traced out the shape I had already cut.

DSC03961.jpg

DSC03962.jpg

Me and Rob were joking around saying it was kinda skull shaped.... I coudln't help my self :roflmao: More important if you look close you will see a bunch of dotted lines. What I did was mark 1" away from the line every few inches so give me a refference on the "lip" I will be leaving

DSC03962.jpg

Grabbed some sissors and went to town

DSC03964.jpg

Now the sump part will still need to come through so I marked that aswell and cut it out.

DSC03965.jpg

DSC03966.jpg

I flipped the tank over and placed my template so you guys have an idea of how it's going to work.

DSC03969.jpg

Here is what it looks like in the car.

DSC03970.jpg

Had to do it :roflmao:

DSC03971.jpg

Im pretty beat and really happy with everything so far. I need to go buy a sheet of alum tomorrow and put my template to use and get that done. Also going to start running the forward and return fuel lines and much more.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You should have no problem getting that #1 spot. Plus I'm done chasing records. I know I can't keep up with 4 valve motors and I just don't want to cut mine up (thats what it would take for me) also some reoccurring serious health issues of late have me considering other options anyway.

I'll be one of you biggest cheerleaders....I damn sure hope you do get in the 9's NA....even if it is a 4valve :)....but why go with the 5.0 why not just build a 5.4 4valve NA motor and stick the 5.0's plastic intake cover on...99% won't know the difference.
anyway good luck

I thought about going 5.4..... to much weight, to much $ and im very eager to see the potential of this light new 5.0 motor.

Dreadknought

HOON MONSTER
Reaction score
Damn man you sure can knock this shit out. You are making hella progress. Looks like the good lord gave the right person the right means... Keep pushing the frontier and we will all be here to back you up!!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back