ZL1 Addons Jackpad warning!

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
So this just happened. I'm pretty sick right now.

I was jacking the car up and it was almost to full height. The jackpad split nearly in two, the car fell off the jack. The side skirt was ripped off and my fender was trashed.

The jackpad was bought a year or two ago from ZL1 Addons. It's a polymer/plastic style. I KNOW it was seated on the weld properly. My jack is a flat pad style. There is NO reason this happened other than their product failing. I just sent them an email but I don't expect them to do anything but blame me. It looks like they don't sell the polymer style anymore, the new style they have looks aluminum.

Even my wife is saying now that this car is cursed, maybe she's right.

x8nkKGd.jpg

zsnNhhR.jpg

l4TZSBv.jpg

nLlKAgW.jpg

L57DKB3.jpg

1r2I0il.jpg

IkQlvtw.jpg

g0dhiTd.jpg

miktNww.jpg

9P7HIzD.jpg

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
It's made for chevy, maybe there was a recall?

On a serious tip, that is pretty fucked up but that thing was designed to lift a tank like the zl1, no way it should have failed on a mustang.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Luckily I wasn't placing a jack stand under the car when this happened. The car was almost jacked all the way, 30 seconds later and I would have at least had my arm and shoulder under the car.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
OMG!!!! Thank GOD you were not injured or worse!!!! The owner was a little slow responding to emails when I bought mine but he did respond. I hope you hear back from him. And FWIW, mine is aluminum.

In reference to your car's injury, at least your car is black and matching paint will not be an issue. Let us know how it goes!

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That plastic thing looks cheap. Glad you weren't under it when it failed.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why don't you (or anyone else) put the jack in under far enough to lift where the front cradle bolts to the unibody?

Last edited:

Phil1098

Reaction score
Ugh, that literally makes me sick to look at, beautiful car. Thank god you weren't under the damn thing when that failed. I always jack farther under on the built in rails. They don't deform and it's way safer. Also you said it was at nearly full height, if the jack didn't roll some as the pad goes through it's arc it is pulling a side load on that pad, may have been why it split. (that and it's a POS part made of plastic)

Last edited:

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
A fine example of "just because someone is selling it, it doesn't mean it's good".

I would guess half the stuff on the market is junk. Buyer beware.

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I don't think the body shop I will go to is open today, so it'll be next Thursday before I can get it in for a quote.

That plastic thing looks cheap. Glad you weren't under it when it failed.

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why don't you (or anyone else) put the jack in under far enough to lift where the front cradle bolts to the unibody?

With the car being so low, even with the low profile jack, jacking it up closer to the edge was easier. I usually jacked from the edge then put the jackstands further in. Doing this made it easier to fit the jackstands into place too.

The company that made the jackstands is a vendor on another forum. At the time I bought the thing I could have sworn I watched some torture test videos, and there were tons of positive reviews. I trusted it because of this. A costly lesson indeed.

I don't even think there's a way I can use this as an excuse to upgrade anything on the car, lol.

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
I don't even think there's a way I can use this as an excuse to upgrade anything on the car, lol.

Hahahahahahhahaha!!!!!! Tell her a twin turbo setup will help you get over the mental anguish and is much cheaper than Psychotherapy. :Good or Bad:

Unreal

forum member
Reaction score
Never used anything like that to lift any car I've ever owned. Really don't see the added risk being worth it.

brent_G

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Totalled.

How much for the wheels?

Jk. Glad you didn't get smashed

Scott_0

forum member
Reaction score
glad you werent hurt man, sucks about that damage. I would have personally went with an aluminum if it were me........

Bullitt 3309

forum member
Reaction score
Fuck OP, I bought a set of those year ago I also got the UPR metal ones as well. Definitely want to see what they say about the failure!

BleedinBlue

forum member
Reaction score
glad you werent hurt man, sucks about that damage. I would have personally went with an aluminum if it were me........

At the time they didn't sell the aluminum. I'm guessing these things started splitting and they changed their design.

Never used anything like that to lift any car I've ever owned. Really don't see the added risk being worth it.

At the time there didn't seem to be any real risk. I guess I just fell for their marketing...even being plastic, they seemed bulletproof.

Fuck OP, I bought a set of those year ago I also got the UPR metal ones as well. Definitely want to see what they say about the failure!

I'd dump them if they're the older plastic version. I bet the aluminum ones like Darren has would be perfectly safe.

wbt

forum member
Reaction score
Why not just take the cup off the jackstand and use the flat surface of the jack to jack the car with? I have done that many times without issue.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back