03 GT buying help

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
I always wanted a manual car, for different reasons I never got to it in my life. I have driven them before but never owned one, and like any beginner manual driver am so-so with it. However, my wife can drive the car lol

I am looking at on Tuesday a 2003 Mustang GT 5 spd. 117K miles. In last 2 years it has had a new fuel pump, tune up, tires, and alternator. Looks like that was few common issues with the old new edges. It is fully stock to the air filter. Only "major" issue seller mentioned is the shaker 1000 system the CD player is jammed and no longer works.

Any advice of what to look for in them will be greatly appreciate. I am going to ask about fluid changes including transmission and rear. Also if he has ever done the clutch or not.

KatoS197

forum member
Reaction score
You mean Mach 460?

Even with it being low-mileage for the year, I'd check the battery cables. Had an issue with mine even at 105K miles.

Only issues I had on mine were a Cam Position Sensor went bad and the aforementioned battery cables.

RazorbackMustang

MT82 Lover
Reaction score
You are correct, he said had the premium sound system with factory sub in the trunk. I just assumed was called Shaker system

It's the Mach 1000.

Issues I ran into when I used to play with 2-valves:

-The IAC valve likes to get dirty and cause crappy idle.
-Alternator sometimes goes bad, throwing a cam position sensor code that isn't actually a cam position sensor problem.
-Spark plug torque.....like all mod motors, so very important but especially on the older 4 thread head engines.

I didn't ever have much trouble with anything else on them. I had two, a 99 and a 2000.

46addict

Reaction score
The systems that come with a factory sub are called Mach 1000s. But it's all the same factory crap that are now called Shaker systems that scratch and/or steal your CDs or drain your battery when the car is parked. :)

Aside from the spark plug blow out issues and the CD players jamming, they are pretty stout cars. The IAC valves are also known to go out. I would also check around the oil filter housing & valve cover gaskets for leaks. It'll feel like a V6 car coming from your Coyote, but it'll be a good car to learn on & take to work.

edit: Razor beat me to it.

Last edited:

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Personally I like the shifter feel and comfort of the new edge over the s197. And the exhaust on any pre s197 sounds like no other, even chevy guys comment about how good sn95s sound haha. And its for these reasons I bought an 02 gt last year to add to my collection lol.

Another few common problems with these cars are the pcv valve drawns a lot of oil so the rubber hose near the pcv valve will degrade and cause a vacuum leak, when buying a bigger throttle body a lot of people run into the issue of hanging idle and some cant even cure it, syncros in those tr3650s are known for going bad prematurely and the front calipers are known to fail and cause brake dragging especially after changing the pads. Other than those listed, which every car has its issues so dont worry about it, theyre fun cars. My 02 has bolt ons and 3.73s and it feels really fast and is fun to drive because of all the torque down low. The 4.6 2v is no coyote but its a fun street car.

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Just usual used car stuff, they don't really have "issues" per say. Just make sure it's not a clunking, rough riding mess and the engine isn't missing under a load.

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
I just bought a 2003 GT. It's an automatic though.
00c0c_3Te62oNCQRz_1200x900_zpsp6oqfvm0.jpg

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for your help! That mineral grey is the exact GT am looking at tonight!

BigSkyGT

Not your daddy.
Reaction score
Nice score! I used to really want a DSG new edge when I had my 00 gt but now Im really liking my mineral grey 02 gt. It looks like someone really took care of her!

The guy I bought it from had it for about 3 years and only drove it a few times. He really didn't want to sell but didn't have a place to keep it. He had been parking it in his dads garage next to his dads 2004 GT. I love the car. I am fixing the little things that are broken or worn out. Come spring it will be my daily driver.

dre256

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! Last night I bought the 2003 GT, passenger side has clear coat peeling but no rust anywhere I can find. Guy was 2nd owner. Bought it 3 months ago from his best friend that bought it new. Put 227 miles on it, bought new tires, fuel pump, alternator, fuel filter, tune up, NJ inspection, and brakes. Was going to be a surprise to his grandson. As he just got his licence and in highschool. Well his son found out about it and said you are not giving your grandchild a mustang GT as his first car. He will kill himself. So he was disappointed and had no want for it, so up for sale. Good and bad, good never been beat on as factory clutch, bad is at 117K its the factory clutch! No slipping yet, he wanted 5800 but since was factory clutch and wanted to just be don't with it I paid 5K for it. I pick it up later tonight, the interior is in great shape for 13 years old

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
The guy I bought it from had it for about 3 years and only drove it a few times. He really didn't want to sell but didn't have a place to keep it. He had been parking it in his dads garage next to his dads 2004 GT. I love the car. I am fixing the little things that are broken or worn out. Come spring it will be my daily driver.

Cool deal man. Ive only owned one auto mustang and it was a 98 v6 so its apples to oranges but it wasnt a bad daily driver. Youll probably want steeper gears since 1st gear is only 2.84 buth otherwise itll be fun. My crown vic has the same engine and trans as your mustang (npi though lol) and its a fun car to drive.

I bought mine from a small dealer in ft lauderdale. He gave me the car fax and I know its never been in an accident and Im the third owner (florida car all its life) but Im not sure what the previous owners did. One was an idiot I know that for sure because of the dents in the undercarriage and the steering shaft being loose lol. It does only have 94k miles on it so thats a saving grace.

07gts197

forum member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for your help! Last night I bought the 2003 GT, passenger side has clear coat peeling but no rust anywhere I can find. Guy was 2nd owner. Bought it 3 months ago from his best friend that bought it new. Put 227 miles on it, bought new tires, fuel pump, alternator, fuel filter, tune up, NJ inspection, and brakes. Was going to be a surprise to his grandson. As he just got his licence and in highschool. Well his son found out about it and said you are not giving your grandchild a mustang GT as his first car. He will kill himself. So he was disappointed and had no want for it, so up for sale. Good and bad, good never been beat on as factory clutch, bad is at 117K its the factory clutch! No slipping yet, he wanted 5800 but since was factory clutch and wanted to just be don't with it I paid 5K for it. I pick it up later tonight, the interior is in great shape for 13 years old

Cool so you have a mineral grey new edge too! Peeling clear coat seems to be a common thing with this color. My roof has clear peeling but its only the roof. Man youre lucky with the interior, my front seats look a little sorry and the carpet is a little matted but the back seats look pristine!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back