05 GT Exhaust Leak

ZwookY

Reaction score
I've been working on an 05 GT which is having a weird issue of bogging down for a little every now and then. When you accelerate smoothly & drive at the same speed it's fine. When you are on & off the gas it hesitates, sounds weird, & loses a little power for a few seconds. No engine light, no codes, or misfires. Spark and fuel don't seem to be an issue and I sometimes hear strange sounds from underneath the car intermittently. Ran a smoke test with low psi and saw exhaust leaking from all 4 clamps. Is this enough to cause such a big performance issue? Also, clamps are all very tight, would replacing them even do anything?
Clamps in the front, connected to headers, are way worse the the clamps near the axle. Luckily there are no leaks where the headers connect to the engine!
Thanks for any tips.

07 Boss

Reaction score
If the up front leaks are effecting the O2 sensor readings you may encounter some issues. The leak by the over axle should be a non issue. You can replace the clamps but that might not solve the problem is pipes are corroded or out of round. I have used exhaust cement (JB Weld) before in the past. It's pretty easy to apply and has always done the job. Some people don't like to use this stuff. I don't see an issue with it.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
Hi ZwookY,

The leaking clamp(s) at the header collector IMHO should be addressed ASAP due to proximity to the O2 sensors (too close) as 07 Boss has alluded to the possibility of interference. The rest......up to you.

I have used exhaust cement (JB Weld) before in the past.
I didn't know of\haven't heard that JB Weld made a product specific for exhaust or you've just used JB Weld itself to seal exhaust leaks?

New 1 to me so you've peaked my interest...........

ZwookY

Reaction score
Should I use the JB Weld under the clamp at the seam, then put on a new clamp?
Or put JB Weld or some other sealer around the clamp?

2526Bullitt

forum member
Reaction score
I have used Permatex high temp sealant with good results. I would use the existing clamps. I would suggest what you said, put some sealant on the paper around the edge and put the clamp on and let it dry.

07 Boss

Reaction score
Hi ZwookY,

The leaking clamp(s) at the header collector IMHO should be addressed ASAP due to proximity to the O2 sensors (too close) as 07 Boss has alluded to the possibility of interference. The rest......up to you.

I didn't know of\haven't heard that JB Weld made a product specific for exhaust or you've just used JB Weld itself to seal exhaust leaks?

New 1 to me so you've peaked my interest...........

Should I use the JB Weld under the clamp at the seam, then put on a new clamp?
Or put JB Weld or some other sealer around the clamp?

https://www.jbweld.com/product/muffler-cement-6-oz

They have a higher temp product too. That is what I would use for the front but the stuff I linked is good for everywhere else.

I just smear it around the pipe and the inside of the clamp and go to town. After you tighten the clamp down just make sure you get rid off all the excess that will squeeze out.

GlassTop09

Reaction score
https://www.jbweld.com/product/muffler-cement-6-oz

They have a higher temp product too. That is what I would use for the front but the stuff I linked is good for everywhere else.

I just smear it around the pipe and the inside of the clamp and go to town. After you tighten the clamp down just make sure you get rid off all the excess that will squeeze out.
Well I'll be...........

Thanks for the link. I never knew that JB Weld made such a product....all I've ever seen in auto parts & other hardware stores was the ole std JB Weld 2-part mix.......maybe due to all I ever looked for.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Another vote for HT sealant (e.g. liquid copper), or even taking car to exhaust shop f/ welding. I hate clamps, with a passion, and had a local custom shop weld every joint on my former truck..."0" leaks from the time they welded. :D

DieHarder

Reaction score
Seems to be a more common practice in the UK. When I was redoing exhausts in my son's and my car I purchased this and had it shipped from the UK. Seals and hardens when you run the engine.

IMG-2269.jpg IMG-2270.jpg

07 Boss

Reaction score
I thought it was pretty common. I've been using exhaust paste/cement for decades.

Lime1Gt

Reaction score
If you don't want to use sealants I have had good results using aluminum wrap as a rolled gasket. I kind of crinkle some tin foil sheet, then unfold it and loosely roll it up to about 1/4" -1/2" diameter. You have to judge how much it will crush. Then I slide it in length wise where the clamp joints and tighten it up.
I also used it to help seal a 71 vette header to a push on muffler side pipe. I rolled crinkled foil under 1/4" and wrapped it around the smaller pipe where the muffler slid onto the header and then added a band clamp. Cheap fix if it work and little cost if it doesn't.

ZwookY

Reaction score
Finally got around to fixing my leaks. I used JB Weld sealer that my local auto parts shop had and leaks are gone and car is now performing perfectly. Surprised small leaks from the clamps could cause such a performance issue. I put the sealer on the outside of the headers and the inside of the mid-pipe and reused the same clamps. Since the pipes in the back were both the same size and didn't slip inside, I applied the sealer to both sides of the pipes and also to the clamps themselves.
upload_2021-9-7_19-8-34.jpeg

Mustangk

Reaction score
2hat kind of smoke machine are you using for this. I need one or two make one

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back