2007 mstang engine swap

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Why is there more ford guys racing push rods instead of mod motors?
because theyre either stupid or because they want more displacement.

A lot of them are using fucking carbs too.

I can understand wanting to run a standalone. SCT programmer + software costs as much as many standalones do, and some are significantly cheaper if youre savy enough (megasquirt).
You may consider leaving the stock ECU in place to control whatever it controls, and have a standalone piggybacked to control fuel and spark.

Last edited:

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
dsc_07151.jpg

STL2SLO

Reaction score
because theyre either stupid or because they want more displacement.

A lot of them are using fucking carbs too.

I can understand wanting to run a standalone. SCT programmer + software costs as much as many standalones do, and some are significantly cheaper if youre savy enough (megasquirt).
You may consider leaving the stock ECU in place to control whatever it controls, and have a standalone piggybacked to control fuel and spark.

Yeah is fine if I wanted tk use them but I have been just as successful with xfi. Mega squirt bout the bottom of the barrel imo

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Mega squirt bout the bottom of the barrel imo

LOL, bottom of the barrel. Not quite dude, you just have to be knowledgeable to build/use it. What CAN'T it do that you would need it to?

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
LOL, bottom of the barrel. Not quite dude, you just have to be knowledgeable to build/use it. What CAN'T it do that you would need it to?
This.
MS3 is no joke.
I tuned a car running some retarded expensive edelbrock ECU several years ago and it was a apocalyptic pile of shit compared to any megasquirt, even an MS1, which is quite limited.

If I had an older S197 Id be working up MS3 for it. With the Coyote Ive accepted Im going to have to bend over for the SCT rape or wait for HPtuners to get their shit together.

Last edited:

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
This.
MS3 is no joke.
I tuned a car running some retarded expensive edelbrock ECU several years ago and it was a apocalyptic pile of shit compared to any megasquirt, even an MS1, which is quite limited.

If I had an older S197 Id be working up MS3 for it. With the Coyote Ive accepted Im going to have to bend over for the SCT rape or wait for HPtuners to get their shit together.

MS3 could probably do it but it would require some considerable thought to get all the systems to work. You could def lock out the cams and do it though.

STL2SLO

Reaction score
With a lsx build you have to worry about the cam lock out. But when I was first introduced to ms. I wasnt impressed while it did serve its purpose very well. But I have no experience with the ms3. Does it have boost control features and two step features like the xfi does? Thats the main reason for me going to the xfI is the ability to built boost at the line. With the xfi everything is built into one unit.

WILECYOT

forum member
Reaction score
With a lsx build you have to worry about the cam lock out. But when I was first introduced to ms. I wasnt impressed while it did serve its purpose very well. But I have no experience with the ms3. Does it have boost control features and two step features like the xfi does? Thats the main reason for me going to the xfI is the ability to built boost at the line. With the xfi everything is built into one unit.

"Hell, it will fill up the Gatorade cooler, walk the dog, and paint your back porch."

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
MS3 could probably do it but it would require some considerable thought to get all the systems to work. You could def lock out the cams and do it though.

With the newer mustangs it would probably be easier to use the MS3 as a piggyback device that controls fuel and spark and maybe a couple of other things. Then let the ECU control everything else. I've REALLY thought about doing this but I would want to do it where there's no splicing but instead have the MS3 interface between the factory ECU and factory harness. I would like to make it plug and play.

Full_Tilt

forum member
Reaction score
Does it have boost control features and two step features like the xfi does? Thats the main reason for me going to the xfI is the ability to built boost at the line. With the xfi everything is built into one unit.
It has always had boost control and 2 step/antilag. With the older ECUs (MS I, II, and non-X III) you would have to add some circuitry to the board to control the solenoid. Its no big deal if you had someone knowledgeable assemble the ECU.

With MS3X you get:
16x16 tables
8 channel fully sequential injection and ignition
Support for flex fuel
Boost control, boost by gear, boost cut
2 step with antilag
individual cylinder fuel and ignition trim

Also it has built in USB now, so you dont need a USB to serial adapter, which was always a problem for people who are not good with computers.

If I was real ambitious I would be using 2 VVTuners to control the cam timing on the Coyote and use MS3X. Unfortunately this is my DD.

Last edited:

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Nah my feelings isnt hurt if anything its the other way around.I cant help u poures all you money something that can be done for half the price.

You are completely ignoring the cost of getting the pushrod motor installed and working with whatever trans you choose as well as the $2500 you're gonna have to spend on your custom fuel injection set up. There is no way it is cheaper to gut a s197 and completely start over vs. building a stout 3v short block and running 20 psi on a turbo or stage 2 Procharger kit on an otherwise stock motor. It's that simple. If you're building an all out dedicated drag car for class racing or something, then maybe a big block or high strung small block would be more cost effective, but I doubt we're talking about 1000HP+ stuff here are we?

RocketcarX

95% of my weight is fuel
Reaction score
Well if its a site mod motors then I apologize. I was under the impression that it was a model website. Considering its called s197forum.com. I will deactivate or whatever I moved to yellowbullet. As stated before 750 wasnt really my power goals it will be much more than that.

don't get eaten alive ;)

Back