2012 GT 8.8 Gear Whine 2500mi...

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Ever since the day I picked up my 2012 I noticed the gears whined in the 55-65mph range. I disregarded the noise since all of my rears have made some kind of noise given the right conditions but never failed on me.

Lately, I noticed the noise is now louder and noticeable with the windows up or down from 35-80mph. If I am driving next to a median, the whirling noise literally bounces off the wall and drives me up a wall! It is just annoying me now. I chose my exhaust set-up so there would be no drone and quiet while cruising. NOW ALL I HEAR ARE THE DAMN GEARS! LOL I am concerned about the noise this time because it is changing as the miles roll on and the vent is spitting out a good bit of fluid.

The good news is...I took it to the dealer (mods and all) and the tech agreed there is a problem and they ordered me a new set of 3.31's. The car should have its new gears by Tuesday.

Do you think this will solve the problem? I though factory set-up gears were hard to beat! The service person said this is not a usual write-up for this car. Anyone else experience anything like this?

Reaction score
Yea, it will. My local dealer told me about it first, I been looking out for the whine ever since. I'll get 3:73s out of them for free... :D That's what you should have done. :)

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I had my 3.73s changed by the dealer at about 2500 miles. Still makes a little noise but its much better now.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Cool. The dealer told me I would have to buy the gears unless I stayed with the 3.31s. I don't mind them on this car though. I will keep ya posted..

Seer

forum member
Reaction score
Cool. The dealer told me I would have to buy the gears unless I stayed with the 3.31s. I don't mind them on this car though. I will keep ya posted..

Tousley sells the gears for $126.

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
Dropped the car off Monday night to be done Tuesday. Got a call Tuesday morning saying that the tech didn't like the gears that came in and is ordering another set and they have to keep the car over night. OK....

Got the car back just now (Wed) and....

Gear whine is still there. It is exactly the same if not worse...

They did not add any engine oil like I requested.

They ran out of time and did not realign my front wheels (requested because car is lowered)

So...I'm not happy. They will find that out tomorrow.

Parts list said they ordered gears, oil, and silicon. No bearings? WTF?? What else could be making the noise??

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
There have been quite a few people with bad pinion bearings from the factory. I'd say if they didn't put a new pinion bearing in that could be the problem. I really can't imagine a dealer pressing your old bearing off and installing it on the new pinion gear though. Kind of odd....

NickSezz

NJSEOS
Reaction score
They said that they replaced everything so I will trust them on that. When I throw the car in neutral while coasting and rev the engine to a certain RPM I can get it to make the whining noise. So there is probably some gear whine and it is being amplified by a certain frequency from my exhaust setup...weird.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
We've rebuilt several '11's and '12's. Fairly common. As for bearings, for a warranty claim they should have replaced at least the pinion bearings. They should be billed on your RO. It shouldn't make any noise. Keep bugging them about it. If they can't get it right, you might end up with a whole new rearend being replaced.

The only thing you should be concerned with, is if you get a Ford rep involved your mods will then be an issue. So keep on them, but try to stay out of the radar as well.

Mach2burnout

05 Redfire GT
Reaction score
Make sure that your exhaust is not touching any part of your rear axle. If you can make it whine by revving the engine while coasting it could very well be transfer instead of an actual axle/gear problem. I've had some issues with this in the past. Exhaust has to be hanging free and not touching anything.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back