2010 Mustang GT Tranny/Rear Diff noises

Redbone3v

Reaction score
Hey all, about 3-4 months ago I purchased a 2010 3v manual and the problems only but started. The rear diff started a nasty whistle, (I'm gonna call it the "kindergartener's musical recorder flute") only when I am using the gas pedal, and as I let off the second I let off it goes away and theres some metal clunking, and 50% of the flute returns. Thats about a 1 second time frame. It starts around 40mph but I'm in Texas and cannot drive that slow anywhere I'd be in the way.

Bring it to Gearheads out here in Mansfield, they blame it on Gear & Axle of Fort Worth for the incorrect spacing. "Was .21 and should have been in between .08 - .12." they replace my ring & pinion, then sounded like an old v10 f250 rear diff's little wind up noise when they get to about 300k miles. Upset already, 1,000 miles later the kindergartener's musical recorder flute noise returns and more prominent than ever.

Transmission now, possibly thinking my driveshaft, has a kindergartner's musical recorder flute/whir noise towards where the shifter comes up and through, and I've only come to these conclusions by turning my head and listening. Metal clunking when I shift and am decelerating too.

Unfortunately I've not been able to look at anything and haven't had time/transportation to take it to a shop.

Long story short:
• Metal clunking when taking foot off gas pedal
• Absolutely random metal scraping coming from rear
• Metal clunking when shifting
• Whistle in rear with use of gas pedal or coasting in gear/neutral above 40
• Whistle in Transmission with use of gas pedal above 50-60mph

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
Do you feel a vibration? I had a 67 that shook violently when I took my foot of the gas. Turned out to be a bad U-joint.

moooosestang

Reaction score
Do you have the stock drive shaft? Your carrier bearing could be bad. The whistle sounds like gear whine though. Do you have 4.10 gears? My 4.10's have a little whine on light throttle, but it's negligible. yours sounds like it might be much louder.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back