05 mustang gt

Tylers

Reaction score
Hello, I am currently having an issue with my 05 mustang gt, I shift perfect through all my gears and when I am driving at low speeds at around 40 mph I am feeling a popping, and after that I hear a clunk, sometimes I hear a metal noise I do not know what it could be. It only started doing it after it was cammed and tuned. Transmission was dropped in the past for a new torque converter.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
First suspect is slop in the driveshaft or carrier bearing. Also the upper control arm bushing and the bushing on top of the differential are known to clunk when warn.. if your jerking around a parking lot with a rough idle you can get clang from the backlash in the differential as well.

Iceman62

Bullitt 6005
Reaction score
Who cammed/tuned the car? I'd start with a visit back to this event...IMO.

Zach Baumann

Reaction score
I always find when doing stuff to my car that there are always some things that need tweaking to make right. Does it affect performance at all? You stated 40MPH does the RPM matter at all to this event?

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
Lugging the motor with a cam usually doesn't work well. Does the clatter and jerking go away when you downshift to a lower gear?

Tylers

Reaction score
It only does it when I’m barely pressing gas around 40-45 mph after I shift into all my gears, and stops when I let off, doesn’t do it at any other speed but 40-45

Reaction score
Agree more with above diagnosis’ but can’t help thinking of gear synchro’s and if shift is retaining position. Even the shifter itself can need readjust, recently changed? And sure, if everything is normal with gears engagement and RPM is perfect you can shift without clutch use even…

Not my field of expertise but learned a few things there over years (road runner/Hurst 4-speed).

Last edited:

Laga

Reaction score
Jack up car, get underneath, and grab driveshaft with your hand near center bearing. If it does this, the bearing is going out. This was on my 05 about 5 years ago with only 55K miles. https://youtu.be/z1DgxalYNhA

A
lso, check torque for lower control arms on rear axle. They are know to loosen and make a clunky sound. But usually when hitting a bump.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back