2013 GT Premium

VNISHPT 70

Reaction score
Currently considering a 2013 GT Premium Coupe, approx. 26K miles with following options: Equipment Group 401A, Reverse Sensing & Security Pkg., 3.73 Axle, Comfort Pkg., 19" Nickel Wheels, GT Pkg. 4. How much of a negative is it not having the Track Pkg.? How much of a negative is the solid rear axle (as compared to the IRS in the S550)? In my opinion, the S197 is the best looking mustang body as more old school USA muscle than the S550. Trying to determine which is best for me. Any significant repair issues/problems with the 2013 GT Premium that I should be aware of before purchasing? How reliable would you say the 2013 GT Premiums are? Thanks for any assistance.

(This is my first post here so hopefully did not mess anything up)

redfirepearlgt

forum member
Reaction score
The track package has nothing you can't add after the fact if you feel you need them. The oil cooler, the boss radiator, brembo brakes, and torsen diff can all be had as you desire them.

As for IRS v SRA each has its advantage. The IRS is in no way simply overall better than an SRA in a general statement or because Ford simply chose to go with it after 2014. Plenty of people would argue that Ford should have stayed with an SRA setup as the stock option on the GT and offered the IRS as an option for road course warriors or people looking for a touring sport coupe of sorts. Either way there are plenty of aftermarket upgrades for both.

rjyote

forum member
Reaction score
As far as the S197 GT and GT500 go, the 13/14 cars are by far the best. They don't have all the issues the 05-09 cars do. 11/12 cars are good too. But a 13....get it if the price is right (21-24k with that mileage). The IRS on the S550 is nice, but not all that much nicer than the 3-link S197 cars.

VNISHPT 70

Reaction score
Thanks much for taking the time to respond to my post questions. Appreciate the insight on the aftermarket availability for the Track Pkg. and the SRA vs. IRS. Great looking 14 GT in the Pic. White exterior color looks great on the S197. Thanks again/Peace

Thanks for taking time to respond to questions in my post. Appreciate the insight on the S197 different model years, the SRA vs. IRS & pricing on the 13 GT Premium. I ran on KBB with all applicable options & indicated FV was around $24.5K from a dealer which aligns with your comments. Thanks again/Peace

Last edited by a moderator:

TGR96

el blanco nino
Reaction score
You won't be disappointed with a '13 GT Premium. And like redfirepearlgt said, you can always upgrade to track pack specs later if you want to. Mine is a base model with none of that stuff, and I used to track it pretty regularly (road course) with no issues. I never missed having any of those upgrades. I did add Brembos up front, though.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

skaarlaj

Probie Former Pink Bus Rider
Reaction score
I actually prefer a solid rear on these newer Coyote mustangs for the ease of 15" wheel fitment for drag racing. If you like the way the 13-14's look better, get one.

I know the IRS's are going to handle a little better, and possibly turn a little better, but by no means does it mean that a solid axle car rides like a pos, or can't be made to corner / handle.

I actually prefer the looks, and definitely like the better motors in the S550's, but the engine would be easier to upgrade in a S197, than fooling with the IRS and 17" wheels that most end up using for drag racing in the 550's. Both / either are excellent performing cars though imo. From a drag racing stand-point, add sticky tires, stall converter, and boost, and BLAM, your running pretty damn hard.

I have a friend who autocrosses the shit out of his 13, and he does well, to say the least!

WJBertrand

forum member
Reaction score
I've got a '13 Premium with the Brembo brake package. This gives you most of the upgrades the Track Pack has, including the sportier suspension and strut tower brace. You don't get the 3.73 Torsen rear end or the oil cooler though. Mine has the 3.37 (I think) and I added the oil cooler. The lower ratio rear end makes it a better highway cruiser and perhaps helps out with fuel mileage, at the expense of outright acceleration.

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
I actually prefer a solid rear on these newer Coyote mustangs for the ease of 15" wheel fitment for drag racing. If you like the way the 13-14's look better, get one.

I know the IRS's are going to handle a little better, and possibly turn a little better, but by no means does it mean that a solid axle car rides like a pos, or can't be made to corner / handle.

I actually prefer the looks, and definitely like the better motors in the S550's, but the engine would be easier to upgrade in a S197, than fooling with the IRS and 17" wheels that most end up using for drag racing in the 550's. Both / either are excellent performing cars though imo. From a drag racing stand-point, add sticky tires, stall converter, and boost, and BLAM, your running pretty damn hard.

I have a friend who autocrosses the shit out of his 13, and he does well, to say the least!

For hardcore S550 use, FRPP makes a S550 HD aluminator version in the crate, with either 11:1 or 9.5:1 CR.. and with the 2mm bigger valves.. Story I got was the S-550 has adjustable rear camber..and as much as 2.7 degrees if you want. But it's lotsa $$$. Then you need to upgrade the half shafts etc. A watts link on a S-197 solid axle is no slouch either..and imo, a step up from an adjustable PHB.

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
All of the minor bugs in the '11-12 models were fixed by the '13 model year.

And people who say that IRS is always better than a stick axle are morons who have never drag raced or never driven a properly-set-up live axle car.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back