4.6L: Bore and Stroke Options

MikeVistaBlue06

Inventor: Asshole Points
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, it has been a while since I was here. I need to ask a simple question and searching ain't yielded what I am looking for, so please help me.

What are the options on a 4.6L for:

Bore--specifically overbore....like 0.010" (ten over), 0.020" (twenty over) etc. What works? What would you avoid?

Stroke: what are typical values for stroke over the stock stoke? What works best? What would you avoid?

Thinking of having Bluebonnet's mill built to the max and boosted quite a bit more...now that I am a single man!

Thanks for any help.

Mike

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
For me, I'd go with a standard bore and 3.75 stroke.

And FWIW, it's .010 and .020.

Last edited:

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I went .020 over on a Coast 302 stroker rotating assembly in my block. The build is just finishing up...no how it runs for a little while yet.

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I went 0.020 over on a teksid block and a 3.75 crank. If I were going with a new block I would keep stock bore as it gives you room for cleaning up a bore if you ever need to

GB10

8s coming soon?
Reaction score
Ok, it has been a while since I was here. I need to ask a simple question and searching ain't yielded what I am looking for, so please help me.

What are the options on a 4.6L for:

Bore--specifically overbore....like 0.010" (ten over), 0.020" (twenty over) etc. What works? What would you avoid?

Stroke: what are typical values for stroke over the stock stoke? What works best? What would you avoid?

Thinking of having Bluebonnet's mill built to the max and boosted quite a bit more...now that I am a single man!

Thanks for any help.

Mike
Stock stroke and stock bore with some good heads would be what I would recommend. With your blower you will have tons of low end torque anyways, so no need for stroking or boring over. You don't see enough gain from going overbore to justify the thinner cylinder walls.

When you begin to make a lot of power (1000+) the cylinder walls need to be thicker to avoid distortion in the cylinder which can lead to rings not sealing properly or piston shake, or worst case a broken ring land.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
I have gone ,030 on all my blocks. For me it is like this. At the level I am pushing my car to, there is a VERY small chance that I can save it from damage under boost. I have yet to see anything in my failures that a .020 or .030 can clean up. Most of the time it is just FUBAR. You can have a good block to freshen up at a later date if you stay with the std bore though.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back