.4 Pro Tree

zipperhead

Reaction score
I run my car maybe 4 times a year in a event where they use a .4 pro tree. My reaction times are horrible at .7 or worse lol . My car is very consistent running a 06gt automatic 2400 stall so improving my reaction would make me very competitive. I am completely in awe seeing some of the very best reaction times at .450 .

Any top secret hints out there?

rick@CJPonyParts

CJ Pony Parts
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Do you deep stage?

NMRA runs a .500 pro tree. Once I started deep staging I was much more consistantly under a .100 reaction time.

drive_55_not

forum member
Reaction score
I run my car maybe 4 times a year in a event where they use a .4 pro tree. My reaction times are horrible at .7 or worse lol . My car is very consistent running a 06gt automatic 2400 stall so improving my reaction would make me very competitive. I am completely in awe seeing some of the very best reaction times at .450 .

It takes practice ... but as soon as the tree lights,, You need to be leaving ...

As you've seen,, ,, If you see green, You've already lost ...

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you deep stage, you will probably lower your reaction time from .700 to .600, (.400 being perfect). That still leaves alot of room for improvement, however. I would also venture to guess that most of the autos in the .400 pro tree class are leaving on a transbrake, where you are probably foot braking it, which will cost you. Practice, practice.

AJCrader

forum member
Reaction score
If you deep stage, you will probably lower your reaction time from .700 to .600, (.400 being perfect). That still leaves alot of room for improvement, however. I would also venture to guess that most of the autos in the .400 pro tree class are leaving on a transbrake, where you are probably foot braking it, which will cost you. Practice, practice.

+1 on transbrake

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Had my first race on a .4 pro tree this year and it was straight up embarrassing. My best light was a .691, one time I was still looking at the tach stalling it up when I saw green out of the corner of my eye.

Sounds like footbraking on a protree is just going to be rough, the deep staging will help. For next year I'm going to put a 2step on the car just to make things easier to spend less time there and more focusing on the tree. Hopefully with practice the times will come down.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Protree gets easier when you can bring your RPMs up to where you want them without looking at the tach. Just from what the car sounds like and feels like against the brake. You can do it without having to take your eyes off the tree. At least it did for me.

Deepstaging for me took longer than just rolling up and lighting the second bulb because I was trying to just barely blip it. Problem is that with Autostart on, as soon as that second bulb ticks on, it starts counting down. Due to wanting to stage as deep as possible I was taking to long to get set, then coming up on the brake using the tach as a guide. I had to take my eyes off the tree to do it and half the time I was just getting my eyes focused back on the tree when it was time to go.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
Pro tree.....I have learned to deep stage and always try to be the first car in place so I am not rushed. I am running with a stock TC so I just bring up the rpms slightly never looking at the tach, always at the tree bug eyed waiting for those yellows to light up.

Marc..........does that practice tree really help?

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
It always helped me. I have a foot pedal for mine too.

Update: After practicing with the online practice tree at my next race in late November I won my class. I was able to get my RT's down to .57 I would deep stage and bring the revs up just a little.

Now this Memorial Weekend we had a our first pro tree race this year (which I qualified in the #1 spot) and I forgot to practice and could only get .67-.76 so of course I lost in round two. Using the search function I found this thread and was reminded about the practice tree. Practice baby, I need more practice.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/nhraxtreepro.html

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I have the porta-tree setup, including the foot pedal and full tree. It makes a world of difference and can be set to whatever tree you run.
When I used to run points I would hit it 100 times a night. You can just about bet anyone that is good has one.

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I was gonna buy that but after practicing with the online one I won my race so I never purchased. But 6 months of no pro tree racing has made me rusty. Our drive by wire really sucks too. Its gotta be costing us 2 tenths.

DTony

forum member
Reaction score
I was gonna buy that but after practicing with the online one I won my race so I never purchased. But 6 months of no pro tree racing has made me rusty. Our drive by wire really sucks too. Its gotta be costing us 2 tenths.

I have read that the drive by wire is really bad on the older S197's. My tuner has mine set up so it feels close to a throttle cable.
My first experience with the drive by wire was awful. It was an 09 Challenger, it was horrible you could mat the pedal and it seemed to just sit there.

Last edited:

808muscle

forum member
Reaction score
I have read that the drive by wire is really bad on the older S197's. .......was horrible, you could mat the pedal and it seemed to just sit there.

That is my car an 06, Slam throttle, delay, goes.....horrible. I shimmed the pedal last year to close the distance on those brushes. Time to redo it. When we are talking tenths of a second everything counts. My car is so consistent. My first qualifying run Saturday was 12.68, I then changed the global timing by 1 degree and ran 12.9033 which is exactly on the number of my bracket of 12.90. Once I get my RT dialed in I am gonna be deadly. Last year I finished 3rd in points. Would be nice to improve on that this season.

Noclutch

forum member
Reaction score

I missed the opening event this year (invite) as the car was not ready and still is not yet ready but hope to make the next one in June.

I was going to look you up at the track if you were running this season instead of posting a response here but since you do not use this handle on the event forum so I would have to make the rounds at the Big E to find you.

I too was having issues with the .400 getting .518 as my best and took a chance at a deep stage in the final points elimination round of the 2010 season. The car I faced was a .15 quicker in the qualifiers and knew a .5 anything would not be enough to beat him. Got rewarded with a .383

Since then every time I deep stage I redlight or leave with a .7 or worse, it is very tricky with these cars with a footbreak so I stopped trying as I did not have the touch.

Deep staging requires you to stage first or quickly so it is important to talk it over with the other driver to see if he will let you deep stage. Most drivers use courtesy staging but if you don't ask they might pre-stage first. I have been asked and given the other drivers the chance to deep stage.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back