5R55S: She's Dead Jim. Or Maybe Not?

Bingo

Because street car
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
As I started to pull away, 1st felt like I had pushed in a clutch and the revs climed while the car seemed to coast. I let off, then gave it GoGo pedal again and it did fine. The first gear slip happened again later in the day when the engine was warm. I now have the constant 2-3 seconds Park (or Reverse) to Drive delay though. Ideas?

I know this is a different can of potatoes, but I had that happen with our 1986 Crown Victoria. I was sitting on a hill, and the car was holding itself up. I went to go, and it went, but it didn't want to shift into 2nd. It felt like it was in neutral. I let off the gas, got back on, and it was fine. By the way, this puppy has about 150k on the clock.

Screamn03

Snake in the Grass
Reaction score
OK Screamn03, I hope you're still watching this thread and passing the info to your (our?) bestest Ford Tranny Guru. Car started fine and backed out of the garage this morning. Put it into drive and there was a 2-3 second delay before it engaged. As I started to pull away, 1st felt like I had pushed in a clutch and the revs climed while the car seemed to coast. I let off, then gave it GoGo pedal again and it did fine. The first gear slip happened again later in the day when the engine was warm. I now have the constant 2-3 seconds Park (or Reverse) to Drive delay though. Ideas?
Ah, shight, today or tomorrow I have to run over there, I'll pick his brain some more. I know the first thing he's going to ask is if you checked the fluid level, have you done that yet?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
errrrrrr...

Ask me again this afternoon.

It does that slip every morning now. If I knock the shifter all the way down to first it doesn't slip

Last edited:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ah, shight, today or tomorrow I have to run over there, I'll pick his brain some more. I know the first thing he's going to ask is if you checked the fluid level, have you done that yet?

Yes, I checked it. You're not dealing with a slacker here. I let the car sit on the jack stands (checked that the car was level at the bottom of the pan, remember, my car is raked big-time) and cool for two hours then removed the center check plug - slight drizzle.

You are DA-MAN!

Last edited:

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Looks like she is dead. At least for the last 3 weeks the car has been consistent. When cold, reverse is fine, but you put it in drive and get nothing but slip - put it in first and you feel it engage, start to pull away then put it back into drive and no more problems till then next morning when it was stone cold again. Until today.

I was in a productive mood today so I thought I would go to work. Jumped in the car, backed it out, put it in 1st (habit now) and nothing but slip. I slowly rolled down the street waiting for it to warm up. After a couple of minutes, 1st engaged but 2nd would slip. Then 2nd felt better and I went through the same process with 3rd and 4th. After a while it seemed normal. Brought it back, fluid level is fine/clean. It looks like my tranny's days are numbered after all...

MrClean

Marc; but I go by MrClean
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can squeeze a couple more weeks...a month even, out of it? The last time you posted on this matter was Aug 7...

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think it's too far gone now. I would hate to try and get on the freeway or make a right turn and not go anywhere.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do? Take it to Larry's or get one of those built ones?

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
What are you going to do? Take it to Larry's or get one of those built ones?

Happy TRANNY DAY!

View attachment 1852

I found a local shop that will rebuild it and they picked the car up this morning. It was becoming statistically impossible to get the car down to Larry's and TCI doesn't return my calls. I did my homework on the local shop and although this route may be a bit pricey, they are local/established/reputable and I can pop in on them if I have any problems. Hopefully I'll have it back by next Tuesday/Wednesday. We are deciding on final TC specs later this afternoon. Looks like this car will be staying N/A.

Last edited:

LAK3RS

Original Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
N/A is for pussy's! IMO, I'm just about ready to get BLOWN! Then again I'm the type of guy that likes that stuff....I dunno about you Stanley.....

Good luck with the tranny, and if you do stay N/A....4000 stall...no.....4500 stall!!!!

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Too bad he's not getting a real transmission...

they look like this:
2546fbc895dba0f.jpg

Charlie Sheen

Armed and Hammered
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That's not real, it's only a picture. And if I can still take "most" other cars while I'm N/A, I think I'm doing alright.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back