A/C delete and alternator relocation

csracing

forum member
Reaction score
I will likely eliminate my A/C this year and want to move the alternator to where the A/C compressor used to be. Is anyone aware of a bracket kit to do this?

CSR

83-88T-Bird Guy

forum member
Reaction score
subscribing....

I too would love to get a hold of a bracket that would allow me to put the alt. down low.

I use a short belt right now to run the alt. and water pump only, since the ps and ac have been eliminated.

However, as it's a drag only car, I need to be able to run an electric water pump.

Don't want to spend over 400 bucks for a Meziere 4.6 water pump...

dream07

forum member
Reaction score
Just a note from my own experience with putting my alternator in place of my A/C compressor on my 5.4 DOHC swap is that you must use a year correct alternator or your digital readout under the speedo will continue to scroll "charging system failure" and drive you nuts. Lito verified that the 2005 and up alternators use the PCM to excite, control or whatever and if you try to use an alternator that isn't from a 2005+ it will code. It can be the 4.6 model, the V6 model or the GT500 model alternator, but it must be a 2005+ (not sure if Coyote alts work, just saying it should).

You may wonder why I would've used a different alternator (in my case an 03/04 Cobra alternator)? Well, it is small, it has "normal" mounting bolt locations, large diameter 8-rib pullies are cheap and generally it just fit better as a side mount location (see picture below). I wasted the time to make the brackets and get everything just right (the belt has to pass through the tensioner arm gap without rubbing anything, etc.) and bought 3 serp belts until I got the perfect tensioner location only to find out that once I started the car, it was running the code. I thought my new alternator was bad, so I got another reman. unit, swapped it out and same thing. That's when I asked Lito. I wish I had asked sooner.

I am now in the middle of trying to make a bracket setup to put a GT500 alternator down there (the 4.6 GT alternator is just too oddly shaped to fit as easily). Lots of head scratching and wasted metal, mainly because the block has 3 bolt locations for the A/C to mount and the GT500 alternator has 3 bolts in a totally different pattern that seem to want to prevent me from getting the belt to line up within the confines of the tensioner arm gap. I have walked out of the garage so many times it isn't funny. Once I get it figured out I may be making them to sell.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back