Ac compressor clutch came apart and damaged supercharger tensioner bracket

Robert302

Reaction score
My ac compressor clutch appears to have grenaded and looks like it did damage to my supercharger tensioner bracket. Ac worked fine the day before blew cold air then quit working, found melted clutch debris but what disturbed me was it looks like it did damage to my supercharger tensioner bracket. I have a roush phase 1 supercharger and the tensioner bracket mounts over the Ac compressor. My question is was this preventable, and based off the pictures do I need to replace the bracket? It appears to have damaged the webbing on the lower side of the bracket. I have heard of ac compressors failing, even clutches going bad but not melting like this and coming completely apart. I feel I can turn the compressor with some difficulty but I have already evacuated the system.

IMG_4752.jpeg

IMG_4755.jpeg

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
A good aluminium welder can easily repair the tensioner bracket so that'll save you a few bucks.
The question is why did the AC compressor clutch seize up? Heat soak from the supercharger perhaps?
Installing GT500 style hood vents might help to prevent a recurrence if you don't have them already.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
A good aluminium welder can easily repair the tensioner bracket so that'll save you a few bucks.
The question is why did the AC compressor clutch seize up? Heat soak from the supercharger perhaps?
Installing GT500 style hood vents might help to prevent a recurrence if you don't have them already.
What year? How many miles? I have seen them come apart many times. They are nothing more than 3 separate components that magnetize when needed to pump freon. If one of the pulleys goes bad, it can will happen.

Robert302

Reaction score
What year? How many miles? I have seen them come apart many times. They are nothing more than 3 separate components that magnetize when needed to pump freon. If one of the pulleys goes bad, it can will happen.
2014 128k miles, i thought i would have had more warning, it was fine one day then this the next. I know the compressor eventually goes bad but it taking out my bracket was the worst part, I found I can get it but it’s $300 and 4 to 6 weeks to get it.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
2014 128k miles, i thought i would have had more warning, it was fine one day then this the next. I know the compressor eventually goes bad but it taking out my bracket was the worst part, I found I can get it but it’s $300 and 4 to 6 weeks to get it.
Everything goes bad eventually. The manufacturer does not take into consideration the aftermarket component.

Back