Any welders (school, job, hobby)

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I learned how to weld about 15 years ago through the plumber and pipefitter union. I started out gas welding and then moved to stick after that. Once I quit the plumbing job I worked as a heavy equipment mechanic/greaser. I used welding a little bit in the field and a fair amount of mig welding in the winter months when I went to the shop. Now I work for a truck manufacture and I weld quite a bit depending on what kind of truck I build. I don't care for some of their weld procedures such as welding downhill, I was taught to weld uphill only for structural stuff and now forced to weld downhill. The company says it's stronger but I know it's a production thing.

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Im a journeyman welder, been in the trade since the day I turned 18. Got my AWS certs in pretty much every process, position, and thickness. Ive got a pretty gravy shop job now mostly just Tigging stainless pipe or welding vessels with pulse. But Ive welded pipe in the field for a couple years and done heavy structural for a while as well. Heres a few pics ive got on my phone right now.

1QIKPNY

Thats what she said!!!
Reaction score
I'm an Ironworker apprentice so I do a lot of welding, only been welding for a little over a year but I love it. Works slow at the mill right now so we have just been making random stuff. Just a few of the things I've made, railroad spike knives and some crosses for my wife.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
those spike knives are pretty awesome. i have a spike bottle opener, but i never thought of making a knife. i think im gonna have to get that going. im just gonna have to get my oxy ace rig filled and get a decent anvil

DiMora

More Is Better
Reaction score
I have a 220V Clarke MIG...I run it on gas. I would love a TIG, but I don't weld enough or weld enough exotic stuff to justify investing at this point...perhaps someday.

I have been welding for 28 years.

Those TIG beads posted above by Blxcklist are art to the eyes. Amazing work.

Dad

forum member
Reaction score
Leave it to me to revive a 3.5 year old thread.

I have never welded in my life. I am wanting to do some light fab work. Build my kids a go-kart and other such projects. Probably won't ever weld anything thicker than 3/16". And probably won't use it very often. So I can't justify a high dollar setup. I was looking at the cheapo Harbor Freight flux core welder. Is that a good enough machine for what I am wanting to do? Like I said, probably be welding mostly stuff in the 1/8" range. Dunno if it would work for sheetmetal repairs. I am sure a MIG would be better for sheetmetal, but again, I don't want to spend a bunch on something I will use a couple times a year. How it looks really isn't that important since I would likely grind it down and paint whatever I weld anyway. No way would I ever expect to lay down welds like the ones above. That's art right there.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I would 1000x find a used 220v miller vs. buying a new 120v ching chong welder. I see good used MIGS all the time. I would use shielding gas. Even thinner stuff like brackets, at 110v I would trip my system out if I was making too long of beads. 220 will do more work.

thailand

forum member
Reaction score
Welding supplies does get expensive, when you throw in the argon/co2, cylinder, consumables, cart, etc. Have you thought about stick welding? Lincoln tombstones are all over the place for sale. Usually pretty cheap too. If you're only going to use it a few times a year, it may be a cost effective solution.

LarryJM

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I like brazing better. I learned how at Art School. I have a propane/oxygen setup.

Juice

forum member
Reaction score
Wow, my welds look 'ok' after I grind them. lol Got a Lincoln 135 and use it mostly to make custom exhaust. None of my exhausts ever broke, so I consider it a 'success'. Welding is definitely an art IMO.

Definitely one of my favorite tools in the garage.

Totheboards

Reaction score
I have a friend who has been running one of them ching chong Harbor Freight TIG machines for a few years. Still works...
Personally I run a Millermatic 211. Its a MIG machine that has a plug adapter to run off 120vac or 240vac. I also run a 2nd bottle of pure argon for the spool gun to MIG weld aluminum. Not the best aluminum welds but it worked for a headlight bracket I made for my dirt bike. Switching between steel and aluminum only takes about 2 minutes.

I recommend weldingtipsandtricks.com for practical info for just about anything relating to heat and molten metal.

20180823_161843s.jpg
20180823_161853s.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back