Anyone touched up the paint on their rotting aluminum hood?

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I have areas where the paint has bubbled under the hood, I took a pick/brush and removed the loose coating.

You can use zinc chromate directly to aluminum, but I'm more interested if anyone has tried regular old hardware store rust paint gloss black.

eighty6gt

forum member
Reaction score
I'm not sure they'd do that for me! I'm going to limp this thing along as long as possible, probably have to get another hood one day that isn't rotten.

AnotherS197GT

Serial Valve Dropper
Reaction score
I just had mine repainted. Lasted for 2-3 years. I ended up trading it to someone else because I had a shaker and wanted a flat hood again.

Bud

forum member
Reaction score
Would be cool to find an easy fix for this but guessing not. Have the same paint bubbling on the hood of my expedition. Really looks like crap on a black vehicle when the paint does start coming off

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
I have two spots on the front inside of the hood on my 2005 Mustang. Yeah. Be nice to get some support from Ford since this is happening to so many out there.

jlmotox

forum member
Reaction score
The clear coat on my 05' superduty on the roof and hood just started peeling and get worse every time it gets wet. My stang is good so far! (Knock on wood!!)

99horsey

forum member
Reaction score
I have the dreaded bubbling problem and did my best to clean and touch it up once. It lasted for a couple years and came back worse (didn't expect it to be permanent). I haven't found anyone who seems confident that the problem can be fixed permanently. Since the contamination is inside the "fold", there's no way to get to it to completely remove it. I don't really want an aftermarket hood, but am leaning that way instead of spending ~$1,000 for a repaint (everyone says they have to hit the fenders and bumper to get it to blend in) that may allow the problem to come back...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back