Ball joint problems?

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. I have a 06 GT with around 71k miles and I just got tires put on yesterday. Well now that I went in to get my alignment done ( fronts were bald one the inner side of tire) they said my ball joints were bad and it was going to cost me almost 1000 dollars to fix. My car handles fine and drives fine. Has anyone had problems with ball joints on your cars? All my friends haven't on their stangs!

kylecm85

forum member
Reaction score
Is your car lowered? If so do you have camber plates or bolts. Sounds like they where pricing you for complete new control arms and ball joints. You can get replacement press in ball joints for fairly cheap. So you might want to check around.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks for that link tmcolegr! I didn't do a good enough job using the search bar on this one. I kinda just jumped into the post as soon as I picked my car up because of how pissed I was that they just quoted me a grand. After just spending money on tires I wasnt about to spend another 1000! Do you know how hard ball joints are to change? I've never done these before.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
How hard they are to change is all a matter of opinion. Do you have any mechanical experience? Do you have the proper tools? Are you willing to invest in the proper tools?

If your answer to each of these questions is no, I suggest you leave it to someone with a mechanical background and the proper tools.

However, don't let anyone tell you the entire A-arm must be replaced because the ball joints aren't serviced separately. That simply is not the case.

JP06GT

forum member
Reaction score
I have some mechanical experience yes. And I have access to any tool I'd need. I've just never done suspension before. I appreciate your help btw!

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
With your responses there's no way I would pay someone else to replace the ball joints. It's not rocket science.

Fullboogie

King of the Ski - OG Jr.
Reaction score
Tire shops are notorious for "upselling" you with scare tactics about failing suspension parts. When my '08 had a few thousand miles on it, I took it to an alignment shop after installing lowering springs. They guy came into the waiting room to tell me my ball joints and tie rods were bad, and gave me a $1,000+ estimate. I told him the car was brand new, and he could shove his estimate.

Make sure you're not getting ripped off.

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I'm just going to ask here.
My left ball joint has some play in it so I'm just going to replace both. What would last longer with my car being lowered? X5 or Moog? And what are the benefits to each?

Thanks
Mike

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Bump. I plan on ordering X5's tomorrow unless I can get away cheaper (with hood quality)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back