Battery relocation help...

DrumSTW3

Reaction score
I am relocating my battery to make way for a Canton IC Tank, and have decided since I'm not concerned with weight distribution, I'd just move the battery to a different part of the bay. I am putting it in front of the DS wheel well, mounted in a custom box outside of the frame. I want remote charging posts on the firewall for simplicity if i ever need to charge or jump it. A friend of mine is helping me, and suggested we wire it this way, but something didn't feel right... Will this wiring diagram work?

Attachments

• Battery Wiring Diagram.jpg
    Battery Wiring Diagram.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 108

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Electrically speaking it looks correct. The only additional thing i would do is put some sort of fuse close to the hot lead coming off the monster distribution block going to the charging post for safety. You don't want some sort of short causing a fire.

You could also just put a fuse in between the battery and the junction block to fuse the whole thing.

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you can run the battery wire, alternator wire, and starter wire to the main post on the fuse block and eliminate the power distribution point if you want to keep it a little cleaner. if the fuse block is staying in the stock location it's just a short jump from the starter and alternator to the fuse block terminal. you'll only then have to route your main battery cable to the fuse block terminal and then your extra feed wires to your charging post. a battery cut off or fuse is obviously also a good idea, but it's not in your original oem set up, so you can do without it if you choose to.

DrumSTW3

Reaction score
Thanks guys...

BTW, It is a PA Performance 130 Amp alternator and an Optima Red Top if that makes a difference. I have the stock Shaker 1000, and 2 meziere EWPs (1 in the motor, 1 for the intercooler)

If I put a fuse between the hot battery terminal and the Power distribution block, what kind of fuse would I need?

My only other question was about the cables. I want to use Taylor Diamondback cables for the alternator and the fuse box, but it looks like the OEM alternator cable has a fusible link. How can I make the taylor cable work? Safety is the most important thing... Why would I want a battery shut off? Since the driver is separated from the battery by a firewall, its not necessary for NHRA rules, right?

loots06

forum member
Reaction score
I plan on doing the same and have a few questions. Did you purchase a battery relocation kit? If so, which one? If not, are you making your own? If so, what guage wire are you using? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score

DrumSTW3

Reaction score
I plan on doing the same and have a few questions. Did you purchase a battery relocation kit? If so, which one? If not, are you making your own? If so, what guage wire are you using? Any insight would be helpful.

Thanks

I had originally ordered a Taylor 200 Series Relocation kit with aluminum box, which is a very nice set up, but I decided there really wasn't any great place to mount it in the trunk, since I have the Shaker1000 subs on the PS and the filler neck on the DS. Besides that, I really didn't want the external cut off to be NHRA Legal. I am using a box made by a company that is local to me called Artec Welding, and they made me a perfect box, as well as a bracket for my EWP for my intercooler set up that I designed. The EWP bracket is 12g Stainless and the Battery box is 10g Cold rolled. I am using 1AWG Taylor cable from the Battery to the Distro blocks, and 4AWG to everything else....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back