Battery Terminal Connectors and Starter Circuit Issues

Ken1

Reaction score
So I bought a 2006 v6 Convertible that had been sitting for over 2 years. I took out the starter and tested it at AutoZone with their test machine and it passed just fine and I got a new battery.

I took out the starter relay and made sure it was fine, and jumped the 30 and 87 pins on it and you can hear the starter click out but no spin so I’m pretty sure there’s a loose ground or I’m not getting enough voltage to the solenoid.

I’m pretty inexperienced when it comes to electrical issues and reading wiring diagrams and I’m not sure how much of a difference there is between the 4.0L V6 and the 4.6 GT wiring diagram because my engine bay I think is either missing another ground from negative battery terminal to the chassis or the one that is going to the positive terminal to chassis was placed wrong?

I’m also a bit confused as to what that rectangle metal thing on the red wire is that is covered in a red goo. Was that just a botched solder job?

How should I proceed? And if anyone had a picture of what their wiring setup looks like that would be really helpful.

(Also when doing the tests I clamped down the connectors to the terminals but the positive terminal doesn’t really have a way to snug it tight, I just kind of hammer it into place around the terminal)

b29efb9efeb3dda30224cb2f65e178a0.jpg

f50b06e49d42a8844f9848f756343e79.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DieHarder

Reaction score
STOP! DO NOT PASS GO!

Get someone who knows their way around basic 12v batt/charging systems to help you figure out what was done here. It appears part of it has been hooked it up incorrectly. I will assume for arguments sake that the black wire is running from the battery pos to the fuse box is the pos + side of the battery? Right? If so, okay. But you need someone to verify the rest of the connections to the negative terminal/grounds and the starter. I'll assume the hack job (red triangle) is a substitution for the fusible link. If it were me I'd disconnect that battery immediately and figure out what the Sam Hill happened. At the very least you should order a new battery cable and starter harness assembly. Last time I checked they cost ~$100 or probably a little more now. If I find one I'll post a link. Someone really FUBAR'D that battery/charging cabling. Bottom Line: I wouldn't trust any of it! And for God's Sake Don't Hammer on the battery. Get a new harness w/the correct size battery terminals (that fit).

Here's an online schematic for your car: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Charging System.pdf&p=1
Here's the starter. If you have a manual it's on the next page: https://iihs.net/fsm/?d=40&f=Starting System.pdf&p=1

Seriously, figure what was done here before that thing burns to the ground. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back