Best way to seal a hairline crack in a tail light?

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Not my photo - but dealing with something similar. I know epoxy would work, but I feel like it would get all over the place. Any ideas on how to seal something like this up and not look too bad?

20150124_112719.jpg

nyuk98GT

Infrequent poster
Reaction score
Synyster06Gates,

No experience with this sort of repair but here is what I would do if faced with something like this. No offense taken if you don't like my advice (it's free :D).

How about 'injecting' some clear RTV into the crack by using the little plastic nozzle cut at the first slant? I'd tape off both sides and as soon as the injection is done, with the area down to remove any excess. You might experiment on another piece of plastic first and, as a second test, try Crazy Glue. That stuff is miserable if overspread so I don't know now you would get it into the crack. Maybe a syringe (if you can find one)? If the crack goes through, you should work from the back side but still have the exposed side taped to prevent any goop from spreading.

3M makes a red plastic (temporary) plastic 'taillight repair kit'. Not sure how long it would last but 3M makes some good stuff, lol.

Option 3 is to try clear coat. You can buy a little touch-up bottle with the brush and pen tip and poke it into the crack. Should do the trick.

HTH,

Chris

Last edited:

702GT

S197 Fanatic
Reaction score
Why not just replace the entire tail light? They are cheap enough these days. I replaced my headlights just because they had a few rock chips and swirly scratches in them. Didn't matter how much I waxed those suckers, they scratch terribly easy. I admit I stole a pair off ebay for $45 shipped. However, even $100 is worth keeping that "like new" look.

nbk13nw

forum member
Reaction score
What he said. The cost to replace is low and peace of mind would be higher. I would always be looking at the cracks I sealed

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Synyster06Gates,

No experience with this sort of repair but here is what I would do if faced with something like this. No offense taken if you don't like my advice (it's free :D).

How about 'injecting' some clear RTV into the crack by using the little plastic nozzle cut at the first slant? I'd tape off both sides and as soon as the injection is done, with the area down to remove any excess. You might experiment on another piece of plastic first and, as a second test, try Crazy Glue. That stuff is miserable if overspread so I don't know now you would get it into the crack. Maybe a syringe (if you can find one)? If the crack goes through, you should work from the back side but still have the exposed side taped to prevent any goop from spreading.

3M makes a red plastic (temporary) plastic 'taillight repair kit'. Not sure how long it would last but 3M makes some good stuff, lol.

Option 3 is to try clear coat. You can buy a little touch-up bottle with the brush and pen tip and poke it into the crack. Should do the trick.

HTH,

Chris

Honestly the crack is incredibly small. 13/14 tails are sealed so I can't get into the back side of the lens. I just don't want it to leak.

I would just get some super glue and put a thin bead over the crack.
Considered it - but doesn't superglue eat away at plastic?

Why not just replace the entire tail light? They are cheap enough these days. I replaced my headlights just because they had a few rock chips and swirly scratches in them. Didn't matter how much I waxed those suckers, they scratch terribly easy. I admit I stole a pair off ebay for $45 shipped. However, even $100 is worth keeping that "like new" look.

13-14 tail lights are anything but cheap.

Wes06

forum member
Reaction score
Agreed. They may be cheaper that back in 2012, but they still cost a bit

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
My 13-14 tails have a similar crack. I used clear RTV and put a lot of pressure on the nozzle as I squeezed RTV into the crack. Then I used a piece of plastic (credit card, something similar) to scrap off the extra then used a cloth to carefully buff it all off so there wasn't any residue.

I used both clear and black RTV because my crack actually does enter into the black portion of the tail light. We've had some wet weeks this past month and I haven't had any condensation issues visible. Time will tell, they've only been on for a month and a half. Hopefully the LEDs don't start dying.

EDIT: Since then, to further protect I've also added some clear vinyl over it to add to the moisture protection.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
Interesting. Mine goes on to the black portion as well. I'm going to go look for epoxy and will likely get some silicone "just in case"

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
There seem to be a lot on eBay that way.

I found some flowable windshield/glass silicone. Wondering how well that would work.

Synyster06Gates

forum member
Reaction score
No, the ones on ebay are from wrecked cars.

I picked up some flowable silicone from the store (made for windshields and glass). A buddy of mine brought up the concern that silicone may be a bit too soft and allow the crack to spread if stressed. I'm not sure what to do. I have some syringes and various gauge applicators coming but I don't know if I should use the silicone or epoxy

Last edited:
Back