bought a jeep and paint has tiny cracks

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
the cracks aren't nearly as bad as my daughters jeep, but i'd like to know if there is a way to stop it from getting worse. the paint still looks very shiney and has no fading or peeling. the cracks that are throughout the paint are about 1/8 inch long. if i did a full detail is there any product that would:

1. stop the cracking from getting worse
2. not leave the cracks that are there now filled with white residue.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
What year is the Jeep and is it factory paint? Sounds like an old lacquer paint job instead of base coat, clear coat.

BlackReign

forum member
Reaction score
I had an 82GT that had the same deal going on all over the roof and slowly working down the sides on the A pillar and hatch. I was "told" that some type of solvent had gotten on the car and caused the issue but I never did confirm or have it repainted (But I was told the T-tops didn't leak also...lol....riiiiiight). The only thing I could do was to use that crappy old color match car wax that filled in the white cracks and made the car look good from 20 feet.

In my situation, it just slowly became worse over time. Believe the guy I sold the car to eventually had it painted.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can't stop it. The paint is shrinking. My '90 Mustang GT did the same thing where a poor repaint had been done. The white residue is dried wax. Color wax will help it look a little better if the color is available.

psycho bob

FISTER
Reaction score
just in case anyone doesn't know what a cherokee looks like hahahaha. putting on flat style bushwacker fender flares now. about the only thing i need to buy is a winch and nice front bumper.

DSCN0235_zps61bd6fbd.jpg

JakeO

Reaction score
Man I miss my old Cherokee so bad seeing this picture. This was my old one it was a 98 and had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it. (Bought it with 16,000).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348568046.307017.jpg

It only had a 3 inch lift 33inch tires and cragar black rims. But I was my baby for a long time. That 04 vert gt was also mine before I totaled it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back