Comments as promise on cleaning/waxing products recommendations

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
One of the earliest threads I read was a gentleman who wrote a number of pages, step by step how to clean and wax your car. His recommendation as I recall was to use Ceramic rather than wax and all the preparations for getting the car ready for the ceramic application. He obviously was a professional and had numerous valid recommendations. Now, enter the layman, me, and I ask for recommendations for cleaning products and polishing products. I was looking for recommendations as I readied my car for the Spokane Mustang Car Show in Washington State.

Pictured are the products suggested by members. First, I'm 85 years old so, the extensive prep work for ceramic was not within my capabilities. But I did end up using Torque ceramic finish. I think I got it for around $70.00 for two spray bottles. I had used this on my previous 2008 Mustang GT/CS convertible, and it looked great. Nothing but a wash before application.
I chose this as I had $70.00 in it and didn't want it to go to waste. Not very scientific I know. I really did think it a decent job of reducing the minor swirls, etc. At the show another entry told me he spent $700.00 on a ceramic job at a shop. $70.00 vs $700.00. I didn't get close enough to see if he didn't have any swirls.

All -Chrome I used Mothers. My rims aren't chrome, maybe some kind of hybrid light silver paint. Whatever this product was easy to apply and looked great.

3-D Waterless Wash. Awesome, great, wonderful and works as described. I live in a fire prone mountain area, and they frown on using the water for car washing. I have used this stuff repeatedly with great results, and no dirty looks from neighbors.

The tire cleaner I wasn't overly impressed with. I guess it cleaned the tire OK but didn't really dress the tire up as I have seen before.

Resolve was a recommendation from my daughter as she has six rescue dogs she has to clean up after. My carpets have the Mustang emblem, and this product really didn't clean them much.

The Quick Detailer didn't get a far evaluation as I had use the ceramic so didn't use the wax on top of it.

My car at the show.
Car cleaning  products.jpg Ed & car.jpg

BullittSS

Reaction score
Thanks for the the feedback -- I'm about to clean the carpets on my 2014 GT/CS, so I won't be considering Resolve. I have to say that your tackling this project at 85 years old is an inspiration. I'm 71 and changed the oil yesterday in 105 degree Texas heat. Crawling around on the garage floor, underneath the car, is getting more difficult every time. But I get a certain sense of satisfaction from doing it myself. Nice job on a special project with your son!

Mailman

forum member
Reaction score
I'm 74 and just spent an hour or so detailing Mrs. Mailman's '21 Jeep Willys so we can take it in for a free oil change/rotation tomorrow at the dealer. After walking and carrying my bag for 9 holes at the Country Club this morning, it rained on my '05 'vert on the way home. I didn't even get upset, because now I have yet another chance to spend time detailing it before we take off on a top-down, nice long drive thru the Finger Lakes to have a late lunch tomorrow.
I take my car care to, probably, OCD levels, but I'm glad that at my advancing years I can still do it. Ret, I hope in 10 more years I'm still going strong and taking one of my rides to the Cruiser Nights that we have all summer. Glad you and your son had a good time playing with your car.................the Mailman

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. My wife is in her fifth year of dementia so detailing the car is a good stress reliever. Also, good exercise for me. I'm 85 and have now been retired for 23 years, yep, darn lucky. We live on a cliff above a lake 43 miles long and the deepest part is over 1200 foot deep. Found this on the Internet and have a million-dollar view. We know how lucky we are.

Floor matts & Pony.jpg

If, you find a good carpet cleaner let me know. My car has the Mustang and red, white and blue stripe on the interior carpets and in the trunk.

So, I'm good at cleaning and detailing but the worst mechanic on the planet.

Speaking of heat 103 degrees today and we're about fifty miles from Canada.

Floor matts & Pony.jpg

Floor matts & Pony.jpg

JC SSP

Reaction score
God bless you and your lovely Wife.

Keep working on the Mustang it’s the fountain of youth. Lol.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
We have a pretend car club here where I live. "The White Body, Black Top Hope Convertible Car Club". "Thinking back to our younger years our motto is "Tops down".

Now, that I have a black car likely will be drummed out of the club.

The other members car is a convertible but not a Mustang, None the less I let him and his wife tag along on road trips through all this beautiful Northern part of the country.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Anyone, know why the picture is my post #4 shows up three times. I only put it in one time.

Ret

forum member
Reaction score
Update on one of the products recommended by various members on this site. In an earlier post I had said I had not used, thus evaluated the Meguiar's Quick Detailer on my car as I prepared for the Car Show in Spokane, WA. I used Ceramic on my car simply because I had it and didn't want to just toss it away. I used another product evaluated in an earlier post for quick clean up. I had thought Meguiar's was to be used only on wax rather than ceramic..... Ok, that was 3,567th time I've been wrong in my life.

I went to a doctor appointment yesterday and should have paid greater attention to the tree I parked near. Anyway, didn't notice until today that the car had a sappy material all over the hood. Kind of like dried syrup. It was difficult to get off. But I'm glad I didn't wait as I'm not sure it wouldn't have damaged the paint or gloss. So, the car still has the ceramic application, but I decided to give the Meguiar's a shot. It was every bit as good as the product I had given a favorable review on previously.

I don't recall who recommend it but it's certainly worth using.

I used every one of the products recommended and will continue as they were all great recommendations: except my daughter's carpet cleaner.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back