Bought Racestars from Beefcake? What tires are you running?

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Since quite a few forum members (including me) bought a set of shiny new Racestars from Beefcake, I figured this might be a helpful thread. I've never owned dedicated drag wheels before, and I'm still a little up in the air on what tires I should run.

I bought 17x4.5" fronts, and 17x10s out back. I'll probably change my wheels at home, and drive to/from the track on my race wheels. My car is lowered 1" in front and 1.25" in back with Steeda Ultralite Springs and Koni STR.T shocks/struts.

The selection of tires for the front is pretty straightforward, I plan on using the 185/55/17 M&H Racemasters.

However, the backs are more complicated. I'm not sure whether I should use drag radials or bias ply slicks. I want to run a 27-28" tall tire out back because I have 3.73 gears and with my 27" tall Brembo wheels, the car is right around the limiter as I run through the traps at 110 mph. I want avoid having to shift into 5th while still running the stock tune/limiter.

M&H makes a 325/45/17, which is about 28.5" tall. Would these even fit on a 10" rim, and inside the fenderwell? Anyone have any experience with them?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mh-radial-325-45-17.html

Hoosier makes a 28x10x17 bias ply slick that looks like it would work.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hoo-18157/overview/

The Mickey Thompson ET Street Radial II comes in 295/24/17, which is about 27.5" tall and would work.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mickey-thompson-street-radial-295r17.html

I could use some advice or experience with any of these tires, or another one I've not mentioned.

Paul.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
I have some of same questions mostly on that 325 but I can tell you your gonna want a 28" to avoid the shift and probably a tune. With a tune I was still at red line just before trapping at 115 to 116 this was on a 285/35/19 tire.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Paul, in order for someone to help you they need to know a little more about your car. What year? Auto or manual? What gears? This is where a signature would be very helpful.

Morris

forum member
Reaction score
His post stated 3.73's, but your right I was making assumptions. I guessed he had a manual based on those gears. I also assumed his car was rather new based on the wheels and bs he selected.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Any way you can send the 17" rears back? Lots of better choices in 15". And a 15" will hook much better.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Stock, untuned, I went 114.5 on a 28.5" tall 305/35-20 drag radial in fourth gear without hitting the limiter. Close, but didn't hit.

Definitely get something in a 28" height; even with a tune you will want to avoid shifting to fifth in the quarter if you can avoid it.

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Stock, untuned, I went 114.5 on a 28.5" tall 305/35-20 drag radial in fourth gear without hitting the limiter. Close, but didn't hit.

Definitely get something in a 28" height; even with a tune you will want to avoid shifting to fifth in the quarter if you can avoid it.

Okay thanks. I'll definitely be getting a taller tire. What kind of drag radials were you running, and what kind of 60' times were you getting?

Paul.

Grabber Blue 5.0

forum member
Reaction score
Well when you have a question and the only provided info you give is your screen name is Paul yes a signature is helpful. And I've run many 17" drag radials over the years and they didn't hook for shit thus my suggestion on going with a more common 15".

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
Go away dude. I provided far more than my name, and I'm not into huge long gay signatures with all kinds of pictures so everyone can see my car 685403107401 times a day.

If you've ran 17" drag radials for years, you'd think you would provide a little more information. I'm sure no one on the planet has ever hooked using a 17" drag radial or a 17" slick. Jesus Christ.

:ftard:

Paul.

BMR Tech

Traction Vendor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
I am running the 185 MH Fronts / MT 295/55/15 Rears.

I would never buy a set of light-weight wheels, for track use, in a 17" diameter for the back.

If I had to run the 17" rear, I would run the 295 MT that you mentioned....as its going to look the best with he front wheel/tire combo you have chosen, and the MT will probably the be the better overall tire out of the ones you are considering.

46Tbird

forum member
Reaction score
Okay thanks. I'll definitely be getting a taller tire. What kind of drag radials were you running, and what kind of 60' times were you getting?

Paul.
305/35-20 Nitto 555Rs

The 60s were pretty bad. It's my daily, so I wasn't trying to launch hard. I really don't expect much out of a 20" tire to begin with.

personalbest.jpg

Paul.

forum member
Reaction score
I am running the 185 MH Fronts / MT 295/55/15 Rears.

I would never buy a set of light-weight wheels, for track use, in a 17" diameter for the back.

If I had to run the 17" rear, I would run the 295 MT that you mentioned....as its going to look the best with he front wheel/tire combo you have chosen, and the MT will probably the be the better overall tire out of the ones you are considering.

Thanks. I would have gotten 15" rears, but I plan on putting the 14" rear brakes from the '13 GT500, or perhaps the two-piece setup from Baer. The car is 99% boulevard cruiser, so getting every last ounce of track performance is not the primary objective. I just enjoy periodic trips to the track.

I've heard conflicting stories on which tires - bias ply vs drag radial - is harder on the drivetrain. To me, the wrinkle of the bias ply would shock the drivetrain less, and perhaps reduce the risk of breakage. I plan on having the axle tubes welded for good measure. At stock power levels, do I really have any other breakage to worry about? On either tire?

Paul.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back