C&L Arrived for N/A Big Bore Stroker.. Pics!

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
how much boost the C&L can take?

I have pushed 20 psi on the stocker and want to upgrade but I don't like the looks of the JPC one.

Thanks,

Ed

05yellowgt

Reaction score
I've hit 25psi on the stock intake a few times so I am sure an alumium version can take quite a bit more than that.

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hopefully soon, we still want to put a full day aside where we can get the most out of it with the stock manifold, then swap the C&L manifold and a few other things all in the same day. We are as busy as ever, all 16 hoists are full, plus there are cars in the aisles... business is booming, and we have some other cars to go on the dyno. The Bullitt is also getting body modifications, so it won't be done by the end of the month. We have several cars ready for dyno that will be done first so they can get out by the end of the month.

Thank you

Rick

So much for that recession, eh? :clap: Guess quality speaks for itself. :thumb:

TGJ

forum member
Reaction score
A few questions regarding this build:

1) How were the sleeves installed compared to the way Ford installs them on their Big-Bore? What I am asking is are the sleeves installed the same way as Ford's or upside down...

2) What kind of turnaround time from order to shipping of the long block?

3) What would be the cost of just a 5.0L Big-Bore setup similar to this?

MickeySaleen

Barricade
Reaction score
how much boost the C&L can take?

I have pushed 20 psi on the stocker and want to upgrade but I don't like the looks of the JPC one.

Thanks,

Ed
With a setup like yours, the C&L or JPC intake is going to put you deep in the 700rwhp range

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
The car gained I think 26rwhp in several places throughout the RPM band after the addition of a C&L Manifold.

Matt D

S197 Pilot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
May I suggest you use Peter's tensioner in place of the stocker. Not that you 'need' it - but it would look killer with that build...:hi:

I'd even throw in his billet idlers to compliment it.

Great job guys!

What billet pieces are we talking about here? where can I buy em? lol :hi:

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
While waiting on a few parts, we are working on some of the cosmetic upgrades the customer wanted to make to the vehicle.

As for the performance side, he originally wanted to retain the factory Bullitt exhaust, but decided instead to go with a 3" Magnaflow catback and set of custom 1 3/4" Kooks headers and 3" X-Pipe.

I think this version of the C&L would work excellent on a forced induction application, but we didn't see the peak gains we hoped for on this vehicle. From testing thus far, we saw a peak gain of only 6 RWHP, but above the curve saw gains of 25 RWHP / 20 RWTQ. The low-end and mid-range lost power.

I've been talking back and fourth with Lee at C&L and they would rather NOT sell the intake at all, than sell an intake that is not optimized and flexible enough to work well on the higher RPM engines as well as with more mild combinations. They are making some changes to the manifold and we will test one on this vehicle. Lee intends on writing up some information to post on their website that explains the changes they are making and why.

From Lee at C&L:

When we tested on the dyno last weekend, we confirmed that our original manifold configuration still worked great on a stock engine, but the runners were too long for a 7,000 RPM engine. We are optimizing the setup to guarantee that the midrange losses are minimized with the shorter runners, while still delivering the top end power that owners of higher RPM engines are expecting. We have also confirmed that with the shorter runner version of the intake still makes the same power as the original configuration on a stock engine, with minimal "additional" midrange losses (compared to the original design). We are not manufaturing or shipping any new intakes until we feel that we have completely optimized the manifold configuration. All of our "in-house" testing was performed on engines that were not being run above 6,300 RPM, and in these cases, the manifold met our expectations. Once we recevied some third party feedback on applications that DO, we realized that they were not seeing the full potential of what the product has to offer as a result of the long runner design. We wanted to maintain as much midrange power as possible, but in the quest to do so, it effected the higher RPM's on engines that needed a shorter runner.

Thank you

Regards,

Rick LeBlanc
Livernois Motorsports

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The low-end and mid-range lost power.

This is exactly what I was expecting to hear for N/A set-ups. I just don't see how an intake is in any way needed for any n/a set-up possible.

With around a .550 lift the biggest cam you can get and the the programs available for the heads, I don't see any head/cam combo that could take advantage of the aftermarket intakes on an N/A deal.

Nope, I can only see an intake come into play for boost - and BIG BOOST at that. Otherwise, not a mod worth it IMO - even it was $100...:idea:

Livernois Motorsports

Livernois Motorsports
Official Vendor
Reaction score
how many longblocks complete with heads are you guys pumping out of there right now?

Lately, it seems like we've been doing more fully assembled longblocks than ever before. It's just easier for most people to have it ready to drop in than worrying about assembling it and timing it correctly.

-Rick

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I was expecting to hear for N/A set-ups. I just don't see how an intake is in any way needed for any n/a set-up possible.

With around a .550 lift the biggest cam you can get and the the programs available for the heads, I don't see any head/cam combo that could take advantage of the aftermarket intakes on an N/A deal.

Nope, I can only see an intake come into play for boost - and BIG BOOST at that. Otherwise, not a mod worth it IMO - even it was $100...:idea:

Exactly. They need to quit fuckin around with trying to make NA power and put it on a centri or turbo car

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Exactly. They need to quit fuckin around with trying to make NA power and put it on a centri or turbo car

I think they have Dex and I have my suspicions about that as well. I've said from the beginning that the main thing that has bothered me about the C&L intake is the chamber size and where it sits. Sure, the runners look cool, but every single high performance intake I have ever seen be it a Hogans, etc. has always had the same general configuration with the chamber raised up from the runners. The shape of the chambers vary, but every single high performance one I have seen has the chamber considerably up above the runners.

This is why I thought the JPC was going to be better for me. it more resembled the design of a hogans, etc.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm starting to really get convinced that the C&L is an appearance mod no matter what set-up you throw it on...:tdown:

Lazy Racer

forum member
Reaction score
I think they have Dex and I have my suspicions about that as well. I've said from the beginning that the main thing that has bothered me about the C&L intake is the chamber size and where it sits. Sure, the runners look cool, but every single high performance intake I have ever seen be it a Hogans, etc. has always had the same general configuration with the chamber raised up from the runners. The shape of the chambers vary, but every single high performance one I have seen has the chamber considerably up above the runners.

This is why I thought the JPC was going to be better for me. it more resembled the design of a hogans, etc.

I could be totally wrong, but I'm starting to really get convinced that the C&L is an appearance mod no matter what set-up you throw it on...:tdown:

I think they have under-estimated the aftermarkets diversity; there are single turbos, twin turbos, Nitrous, NA, NA big cams/heads, centri, TVS blowers, strokers and mild bolt ons. I cant see how aiming at one 'point' can prove anything, certainly not enough for what is supposedly a mass market product like the excellent C&L inatakes are. For me, all I want to know is can it clean flow enough air to support a 175shot? If so Ill buy one for sure, otherwise I am stuck at a 100 shot and pondering a blower.

Thanks for the updates on that motor Rick, please keep em coming...400plus whp plus a 100 shot might just do it for me; no desire to get more as it is still my daily

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back