Ca you find out the build number for a regular GT

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have an 05 vert black on red and I'm wondering if there is a way to find out what the build number was. I know it is not a big deal because it is only a GT but I am curious. I know from the charts that it is one of 546 or something like that but I would like to get the exact build number. I am looking into dash plaque and would like to include this number if possible.

Cheers!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Reaction score
Ford does not track the sequence of regular Mustangs, and VIN numbers aren't even built in order down the assembly line. Knowing you have one of many (or XXX amount) is gonna have to be good enough. Sorry!

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The build sequence should be in the VIN, it is the last 6 digits and it started at 100001, IIRC.

Beerhunter

forum member
Reaction score
ok, so anyone else? I don't think it is in the VIN number. According to the sites out there it is rather generalized which surprises me because I thought that a VIN number was unique to the vehicle. Actually thinking about it, it has to be unique or else Carfax etc would not be able to provide vehicle history. Soooo, do the last numbers represent the build number then?

An Auto VIN Decoder breaks down the unique alphanumeric sequence known as a Vehicle Identification Number, which is a car's fingerprint. Each and every automobile on the road has its own 17-character VIN, and it is this identification number that is used to generate a Vehicle History Report, also known as a VIN check.
The VIN check taps into millions of DMV records and reveals all of the available history for a particular vehicle, including any hidden problems, odometer readings, ownership transfers and more. It is an absolute must for used car buyers, as it tells you everything you need to know about the vehicle.
The Auto VIN Decoder can help you understand what these letters and numbers mean, which is the first step towards ensuring that a vehicle you are considering is right for you.
Let's break down the Vehicle Identification Number, starting with the first character. (Please note the letter "I" as in indigo, the letter "O" as in orange, and the letter "Q" as in queen are NOT found in any VIN Numbers.)
(We will use the following VIN as an example: 2FTRX18W1XCA01212)
The first character represents the country of manufacture, and can be a letter or a number, each signifying a different country. The most common ones are as follows:
(1 = USA, 2 = Canada, 3 = Mexico, J = Japan, K = Korea, W = Germany, Y = Finland, Sweden)
So using the Auto VIN Decoder in the above example, this particular car was made in Canada.
The second/third characters represent the manufacturer, also known as the make. The most common are:
(A = Alfa Romeo, B = Dodge, C = Chrysler, D = Daihatsu, E = Eagle, F= Ford/Eagle, G = All General Motors vehicles (Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, Saturn)
H = Honda/Acura, J= Jeep, L = Lincoln, M = Mitsubishi, N = Nissan/Infiniti, P = Plymouth, S = Subaru, T = Toyota/Lexus, V = Volkswagen)
So using the Auto VIN Decoder in the above example, this car is a Ford or an Eagle..since Eagle is no longer made, it is most likely a Ford.
Other popular makes use a 3-character initial sequence:
(TRU/WAU = Audi, 4US/WBA/WBS = BMW, 2HM/KMH = Hyundai, SAJ = Jaguar, SAL = Land Rover, 1YV/JM1 = Mazda, WDB = Mercedes-Benz, VF3 = Peugeot, WP0 = Porsche, YK1/YS3 = Saab, YV1=Volvo)
The fourth character is the type of restraint system.
In the above example, "R" represents hydraulic breaks using the VIN Decoder.
The fifth, sixth & seventh characters are the vehicle line, series and body style. This will obviously be different across makes and models.
In the above example, characters 5, 6 & 7 are X18: X18 is a Ford F150 Pickup 4WD Super Cab
The eighth character is the engine type.
With the Auto VIN Decoder, W represents a 4.6 liter V-8 engine.
The tenth character represents the year of the car. Pay close attention to this one:
B = 1981 F = 1985 K = 1989 P = 1993 V = 1997 1 = 2001
C = 1982 G = 1986 L = 1990 R = 1994 W = 1998 2 = 2002
D = 1983 H = 1987 M = 1991 S = 1995 X = 1999 3 = 2003
E = 1984 J = 1988 N = 1992 T = 1996 Y = 2000 4 = 2004
For the most recent used model year, 5 = 2005
In the above example, the "X" indicates that this car was made in 1999.
The eleventh character indicates the assembly plant.
In the above example, the C indicates Ontario, Canada
Characters 12-17 represent the vehicle's unique fingerprint. It is these six digits which make every single vehicle in the world different.
So using the Auto VIN Decoder one last time, the Vehicle Identification Number: 2FTRX18W1XCA01212 represents a 1999 Ford F150 Pickup 4WD Super Cab manufactured in Ontario, Canada with hydraulic brakes and a 4.6-liter V-8 engine.
So there you have it, the Auto VIN Decoder. If you are in the market for a used vehicle, use this decoder to make sure that it is indeed the exact model that the seller is claiming it is. Once you have verified the Vehicle Identification Number is accurate, you can proceed with your VIN check and learn everything you need to know about that particular car.

T.Rines80

forum member
Reaction score
Vin numbers have unique characteristics to each vehicle. The first half of the vin has stuff like paint codes, key codes, factory codes, etc... I have 2 friends, who ordered 2 5.0's together. Their Vin numbers are sequential at the end, being one number off but in order, if that makes since.

FalconGTHO

The Reporter
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The build sequence should be in the VIN, it is the last 6 digits and it started at 100001, IIRC.

Vin numbers have unique characteristics to each vehicle. The first half of the vin has stuff like paint codes, key codes, factory codes, etc... I have 2 friends, who ordered 2 5.0's together. Their Vin numbers are sequential at the end, being one number off but in order, if that makes since.

Yes, but, you could be VIN 123456, the next five cars could be V6s, then 123412 could be a V8. No way to know where you are in the sequence of either V6 or V8 unless you had ALL of the VINs for the model year matched up with their options. Then youd have to manually go through and count up.

Now, having said that, apparently it CAN be done, because the GT CS Registry offers that service for payment. You get a Certificate indicating what order youre in. Number 32 of 47 built, etc. The low number is representative of the extremely small amount of Grabber Orange CSs made.

So, perhaps you should hit up the CS Registry to find out how they do it or where they get the info.

Myself, I just want to know how many of mine were built with my exact options.

Natural1

all around duguder
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I guess you guys are right, this is my first GT... The others were always Cobras..

Though, I bet mine is the only one in tungsten, with lt grey interior, IUP and a 4R70W. lol
Myself, I just want to know how many of mine were built with my exact options.

Ditto

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back