Cams

2006GT500

I have Stage 4 Comp Cams and loved them N/A and really love them with my D1SC. With the idle down around 650rpms it has a nice lope to it.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Every company selling ported heads has them CNC ported. You won't find any appreciable difference between a set from Livernois or Fox Lake or Blow By Racing or.........you get the idea.

A normally aspirated engine will need cams, a majority of the available bolt ons, gears, and aggressive tuning to make the most of the added airflow. Not saying you don't need them. You just have to decide what the end use of the car will be and if you wish to spend that kind of money to get there.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Everyone is complaining about cost. Doesn't anyone turn their own wrench anymore?

If you're an N/A car owner, a CAI and a programer or tune, self installed, runs you about $700 - $800 and you get 25-30 HP tops. If you turn your own wrench installing cams, you are spending the same dollar per HP as a CAI.

That doesn't sound too expensive to me...Besides, who here got into cars because it's a cheap hobby?

Last edited:

DirtyDeedsInc

forum member
Reaction score
Everyone is complaining about cost. Doesn't anyone turn their own wrench anymore?

If you're an N/A car owner, a CAI and a programer or tune, self installed, runs you about $700 - $800 and you get 25-30 HP tops. If you turn your own wrench installing cams, you are spending the same dollar per HP as a CAI.

That doesn't sound too expensive to me...Besides, who here got into cars because it's a cheap hobby?

I've looked into cams and because of the expense vs. extra HP vs. work involved, they are last on my list (I got a CAI, TB & tune cheaper than $700.) I have the directions for doing the cam install yourself and there is quite a bit of work involved which would discourage most DIYs. It also requires special tools that are only good for a cam swap. It's not like the old days on these motors. My reasons for wanting cams are 1.) More HP. 2.) Sound of cam lope.

2006GT500

The special tool thing is a myth. We didn't use any special tools when installing my cams. If you have installed cams in a 2v or a 4v then you can do them in a 3v.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
The special tool thing is a myth. We didn't use any special tools when installing my cams. If you have installed cams in a 2v or a 4v then you can do them in a 3v.

What did you use for the spring change? Did you do them in the car without removing the heads or timing cover?

2006GT500

On mine we removed the timing cover on my friends we didn't. On both cars we used the same spring change tool as we use on 2v and 4v's. We did both cam swaps in the car with the heads still on. It takes patience believe me, but can be done.

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
"It takes patience believe me"

I'll bet! I tried with the 2v/4v tool and ordered the 3v tool. Even with the right tool it's time consuming to do the springs. The cams themselves were not a problem......................
I'll stick with the mythical spring tool myself.

Last edited:

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
A valve sping tool is a valve spring tool. Pulling the heads increases the chance of having a problem on re-assemble. But if the tool slips or you make a mistake, you're pulling the head anyway.

I was able to do both heads on a Chrysler 318ci faster by pulling the heads then donig a Chrysler 4.0L straight six on the block. You may think you''re doing yourself a favor, but I find it's worth the extra $120-$150 for the gaskets.

Besides, pulling your heads gives you a chance to make sure your valves are not damaged and are properly seated. If you are running a power adder, you might want to install better valve guides too...

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
A valve sping tool is a valve spring tool. Pulling the heads increases the chance of having a problem on re-assemble. But if the tool slips or you make a mistake, you're pulling the head anyway.

I was able to do both heads on a Chrysler 318ci faster by pulling the heads then donig a Chrysler 4.0L straight six on the block. You may think you''re doing yourself a favor, but I find it's worth the extra $120-$150 for the gaskets.

Besides, pulling your heads gives you a chance to make sure your valves are not damaged and are properly seated. If you are running a power adder, you might want to install better valve guides too...

So you have never done cams or springs on a Modular 4.6 then...........

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
So you have never done cams or springs on a Modular 4.6 then...........

Negitive, but I will be this November. I'm installing the BBR Stage II cam and Comp Cams springs as part of my winter build project.

I can't tell you how many head jobs (or head related jobs) I've done, but it is more than 15. I feel pretty comfortable doing the work on this one...

If after a personal experiance on this exact engine, I feel I was wrong, I'll let you know.

Last edited:

Quiksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Hi

I am intersted in cams and ported heads on a built motor as a short and long term upgrade. Larry H is about to build me an engine and I am curious as to whether its worth doing the cams and heads at the same time as I wish to add FI at a later stage but would love a power gain now so its not just a block change. I live in the Middle East and mechanical know how on stangs is very limited hence me getting the build done where the knowledge is.

He suggested Livernois heads and Comp Cams stage 2's. I am going to build the Hp up in stages from 400 - 450 RWHP initially with FI to my long term goal of around 650RWHP.

What would be the approximate HP gain? Is it worth it?

I realise it is rather pricey for all that but is it worth it long term when I add the FI?

Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

Thanks

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am intersted in cams and ported heads on a built motor as a short and long term upgrade. Larry H is about to build me an engine and I am curious as to whether its worth doing the cams and heads at the same time as I wish to add FI at a later stage but would love a power gain now so its not just a block change. I live in the Middle East and mechanical know how on stangs is very limited hence me getting the build done where the knowledge is.

He suggested Livernois heads and Comp Cams stage 2's. I am going to build the Hp up in stages from 400 - 450 RWHP initially with FI to my long term goal of around 650RWHP.

What would be the approximate HP gain? Is it worth it?

I realise it is rather pricey for all that but is it worth it long term when I add the FI?

Excuse my ignorance but this is all new to me.

Thanks

It will be much cheaper to do the heads and cam now before the engine goes in vs having to pull the heads with the engine in the car. I just had Larry H build the complete long block with Livernois stage 3 heads and Comp Cam stage 2 cams.

Quiksilver

forum member
Reaction score
I thought so. Was your car blown before when you did that? Mine is N/A (for now) so I am interested in what the HP gain is for the added cams and heads. Do you have any idea? I think Larry mentioned between 50 - 80 HP but I could be wrong.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is actually sitting in my garage right now on jack stands under a car cover with the battery disconnected while I am depoyed to Afghanistan. I do have a Saleen S/C on it with some other mods. PMP will shortly have my Larry H build long block and once I get back they will be handling the install. So I can't really tell you what the HP gain from the Cams will be. Infact I won't be able to ever tell you what the HP gain from just the cams will be as I am changing a lot of other stuff right at the same time.

Quiksilver

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks Zman.

I spoke to Larry today and while its a great idea to have him build up the longblock with the cams and heads it more than doubles the price of the engine build!

I am in a twist as I can get the built engine but the rest is out of budget at the moment. I want the new engine with FI up and running by Jan as we have a big Drag event here but will then ony be able to run around 500 RWHP - I think. Its a huge problem getting sound mechanical work done here, especially something like cams or heads so doing that at a later stage in Dubai is a problem. So in a nutshell - take the built engine now for a short term gain or leave it and long term build it up as I can afford it but only have it in a while when its finished.

Hmmmmm.......what to do, what to do.....

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back