Can I go this wide up front?

jlmounce

Reaction score
I'm looking at a set of 18 x 9.5" wheels with an offset of +48mm. I'm wanting to run the same size wheel/tire front and back for rotational, and handling balance.

I'm looking at a 295/40/18 tire. The rear should not be an issue here, however can I go that wide in the front?

I also want to check my math that I should be able to clear with the 48mm offset on the 9.5" wheel.

Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

spiral281

forum member
Reaction score
you can fit a 10" wide +45 up front with a 275/40/18, its what roush does with their 18x10 wheels at all 4 corners...but i have also seen the gt500 wheels with 285/40/18 all the way around on the griggs turn key cars, and btw the gt500 wheels are 18x9.5 with an offset of +50 iirc...the 275/40/18 is what belongs on an 18x9.5 rim though and has the correct OD for our cars...285/40 is meant for a 10" rim, and will cause the steering response to suffer, but may provide more grip if you can get the timing right...dunno though...most people like to stretch the tire on the front for the added steering response at the cost of overall grip...i like the same size all the way around as i am on a budget, and when the stock goodyears wear out on the take off's i have, i will be putting 275/40 all the way around for balance and rotation

Last edited:

jlmounce

Reaction score
you can fit a 10" wide +45 up front with a 275/40/18, its what roush does with their 18x10 wheels at all 4 corners...but i have also seen the gt500 wheels with 285/40/18 all the way around on the griggs turn key cars, and btw the gt500 wheels are 18x9.5 with an offset of +50 iirc...the 275/40/18 is what belongs on an 18x9.5 rim though and has the correct OD for our cars...285/40 is meant for a 10" rim, and will cause the steering response to suffer, but may provide more grip if you can get the timing right...dunno though...most people like to stretch the tire on the front for the added steering response at the cost of overall grip...i like the same size all the way around as i am on a budget, and when the stock goodyears wear out on the take off's i have, i will be putting 275/40 all the way around for balance and rotation

I do worry slightly about the steering response. However, most of the tracks I run on are big bore tracks. Lots of decreasing radius and long sweepers that require grip.

I could run 285/35 NT05's but their more expensive than the Azenzis RT615 in the 295/40 which is a near perfect match for the tire size. I wouldn't have to screw around with the rolling radius in my tune.

I'm sure I could get a 295 on the wheel and may have some rub at full lock. I'm not entirely sure that will be acceptable though.

The nitto tire runs a bit narrow, so that might be the best option. I would gain a tiny bit of gear, which would help, since I've got the 3.31's.

I could run a staggered set, but that produces even more understeer, and like you said, the inability to rotate tires.

I don't know. I'm sleeping on it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back