Car sat too long. A lot of random codes.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
So right now on my 2012 mustang GT I have 8 codes. The car sat for 2 years while the trans was broke. At that time it had bama 93 octane tune, offroad x pipe and a C&L cold air intake. I returned the car to stock while it was down except for the x pipe. I never had the actual programmer for the car because it was modded when I bought it. After I got the trans fixed, the car had an array of codes. I did the crank relearn process and got rid of two of the timing codes. The following codes are what I have now. The car currently has an X4 canned tune on it. The crank relearn was performed with my IDS software.

P0014 B Camshaft Position - Timing Over Advanced or System Performance Bank One

P0022 A Camshaft Position - Timing Over Retarded Bank 2

P0135 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0443 EVAP System Purge Control Valve A Circuit

P052B Cold Start A Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 1

P052D Cold Start A Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 2

P064E Internal Control Module 02 Sensor Processor Performance Bank 2

P1647 Linear 02 Sensor Control Chip (Bank 2)

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
I cleared codes and immediately the CEL came on. The engine was still warm.

The code I got was PO443 EVAP System Purge Control Valve A Circuit

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Try looking at the connection to the canister purge valve, or even replacing it... seen this before and it's a cheap part.

Also you have a capless fuel filler neck, so check the spring on the flap to make sure it is sealing correctly.

Last edited:

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
Try looking at the connection to the canister purge valve, or even replacing it... seen this before and it's a cheap part.

Also you have a capless fuel filler neck, so check the spring on the flap to make sure it is sealing correctly.

Replaced the purge valve yesterday. Didn't fix it. Checked IDS for module updates and the PCM was up to date.

In other words, same issue. The car seems to run just fine. However there is a little bit of white smoke at idle that smells extremely rich. Perhaps the timing actually is out a bit. The car idles smooth but will stutter if I quickly tap the pedal to the floor.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
A couple canned SCT's I have had sitting on the shelf in my office over the last year or two. I don't really drive the car much. I mainly just need to get the damn thing sold at this point. I've just been ignoring it but its time for me to do something about it.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
A SCT tune? That's probably your issue.

Why not just get a set of factory cats put back on it and flash the PCM back to factory.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
A SCT tune? That's probably your issue.

Why not just get a set of factory cats put back on it and flash the PCM back to factory.

Thats what I am thinking. I have already programmed as built, same exact codes. Even drove the car around stock, same codes.

Also, I love your 96.

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score
Yeah. SCT canned tunes are just not optimized and always cause issues from what I've found. Finding a set of factory take off cats is easy to spot on the forums.

And thanks!

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah. SCT canned tunes are just not optimized and always cause issues from what I've found. Finding a set of factory take off cats is easy to spot on the forums.

And thanks!

I should mention that a few local guys tried their custom tuning on it and the same thing happened. Instead of bothering them again after I reflashed modules and performed as built, I just used some of the X4's I had in stock.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
something is obviously wrong. Check the wiring, you might have a rodent problem from sitting so long. It's unlikely all those things showing as codes all just spontaneously broke from sitting.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
If it was a 3v the diagnosis would be easy, alternator and or battery. Does the 5.0 behave similarly (multiple codes and sometimes possessed dash lights) when voltage isn't exactly correct?

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
If it was a 3v the diagnosis would be easy, alternator and or battery. Does the 5.0 behave similarly (multiple codes and sometimes possessed dash lights) when voltage isn't exactly correct?

Count on it, all modern cars are very touchy like this. load test on the battery or at least straight connect to another running vehicle for a check is in order here.

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
Guys I think I am going to replace the PCM. I got lucky I suppose because my PCM is the cheapest one. $230 from Mac Haik Ford.

My reasoning are the last two codes on the list.

P064E Internal Control Module 02 Sensor Processor Performance Bank 2
P1647 Linear 02 Sensor Control Chip (Bank 2)

On my IDS & on Alldata, the only possible causes for both codes is "Damaged PCM"

If anyone would like to speak out about why you think I am making the wrong decision, please do.

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
It ain't plug and play, man, you need to have Ford IDS so you can make all the modules talk to one another. That means a flat deck to the Ford dealer if the car is immobilized. Did you do a load test on the battery?

taylor_reid

forum member
Reaction score
It ain't plug and play, man, you need to have Ford IDS so you can make all the modules talk to one another. That means a flat deck to the Ford dealer if the car is immobilized. Did you do a load test on the battery?

I hate to be that guy but did you read any of the post?

5lho

forum member
Reaction score
maybe I did....but I forgot you have IDS. Still, I don't think you should add another failure mode until you've exhausted the potential causes already there. Taking a good lok at the wiring and the battery condition is still good advice. It bears some examination beyond just what the codes say when a pile of codes appear together.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back